2018 THN Future Watch

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Should be out shortly, THN tweeted out the cover:

Last year's thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2017-thn-future-watch.2174003/

Just the usual disclaimers:

- Please don't post the list for copyright reasons.

- Teams themselves provide the individual top 10 lists. So if a particular prospect doesn't show up on your team's top 10 list (or you don't like the order of your team's top 10), it actually wasn't done so by The Hockey News. We've seen in the past where a team might've intentionally left an unsigned prospect off their top 10.

- The overall team grade includes NHL players 21 and under who won't be ranked in the top 100.

- The polling tends to happen right after the WJC, so the rankings usually seems to be bit slanted towards players who participated.

- Depending on the year, THN gets 12+ people to participate. But each respondent turns in his own ranking, so naturally there's usually not much of a consensus especially once you get past the top tier of prospects. It's not like THN got all the participants in a room and they argued where to rank players. It's a very inexact process. The year where Alex Pietrangelo was ranked as the top prospect, he wasn't in half of the respondents' top 5s.

The difference between 25 and 45 is probably a lot smaller than what most people perceive. Although I know it won't happen, I'm hoping we can minimize the number of "I can't believe where they have (my team's prospect). He should easily be 20 spots higher" type posts.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacDaddy Version 4

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I believe the cover is different from different provinces. If its B.C it will be CAnuck players etc.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
But whos team looks closer to actually winning the cup?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying anything bad against the Jets or that they were on it - nor am I saying anything bad about Toronto being on this cover. I'm not a fan of either team, nor do I dislike them. My comment was more about the love for the Jets then and how there will be lots of hate for the Leafs called 2019 to be Winnipeg's year, and going on what they've done this year, they stand a chance to be correct.
Toronto isn't far off, they're a couple pieces away I think. Then again, Pittsburgh has shown you don't need a star defense to win....

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Kind of cool that 2 of the last three future watch have hyped uber talented Canadian teams loaded with top young talent. Be even better if they are right and we see Jets vs Maple Leafs battling in the Cup finals a couple times over the next 2 or 3 season's.

Reactions: Aerrol

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
oh wow if that's case it won't sell well outside of Ontario then.
I think it'd be pretty stupid if people didn't buy it because it featured Leafs on the cover. Are people that petty that they'd let that get in the way of the content inside? I'm sure that'll happen, but doesn't mean I won't think they're dumb for thinking that

Reactions: Kelly

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I think it'd be pretty stupid if people didn't buy it because it featured Leafs on the cover. Are people that petty that they'd let that get in the way of the content inside? I'm sure that'll happen, but doesn't mean I won't think they're dumb for thinking that

Well it's not stupid, would you buy it if they slapped Horvat, Boeser and Virtanen on the cover? it's a form of marketing, as another user said, the season previews will have regional covers of the local team.
let alone this time they added 3 leafs players? 2 of them are not even the best young players, you would think they use Laine and McDavid as the other 2.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Right, because the rest of Canada has no reason to be tired of Leaf centric hype material.

Reactions: Szechwan

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Well it's not stupid, would you buy it if they slapped Horvat, Boeser and Virtanen on the cover? it's a form of marketing, as another user said, the season previews will have regional covers of the local team.
let alone this time they added 3 leafs players? 2 of them are not even the best young players, you would think they use Laine and McDavid as the other 2.
Yes I would cause even though the Leafs are my favourite team, I am still interested in the entire league and the entire league's prospects. If it were those Canucks players mentioned on the cover, and I was in dying need to see my Leafey babies, I'd go to the corner store and buy a wall poster for 50 cents.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
It's not even the picture that's ridiculous - which it is, just because, hello, none of the players pictured are prospects - but that headline is gonna be a great meme for the next 30 years while the Leafs win nothing.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
It would make sense if nylander Matthews and marner were prospects but they're not. This is a b.s cover.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
It would make sense if nylander Matthews and marner were prospects but they're not. This is a b.s cover.

A big part pf their rankings are 21 and under NHL players. I have seen the entire list. When you see the other teams in the top 5 it will make more sense.

Reactions: daddy

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
Well considering the Canucks are my #2 team, that's no problem regardless. They could put Keller, Chychrun and Strome on the cover for all I care (can't stand the Coyotes) and I'd still buy it. Why? I don't care one big about the cover. I want to read the content, not stare at a picture on the front

I get annoyed at all the Leafs-centric stuff as much as the next guy. The score app is brutal, neatly every goal by Matthews is highlighted and they need 2-3 articles to describe a quote after most games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->