WJC: 2018 Team USA Roster Talk

everything

Jan 5, 2017
Overall, a pretty successful WJSS for Team USA. A number of players stepped up and cemented their roles on the squad. If I had to pick a team using just the players at this camp (or those out injured) this would be my team right now:

Forwards (x13):

Casey Mittelstadt - Logan Brown - Kailer Yamamoto
Brady Tkachuk - Ryan Poehling - Joey Anderson
Patrick Harper - Trent Frederic - Riley Tufte
Max Jones - Jack Badini - William Lockwood
Kieffer Bellows

Defense (x7):

Ryan Lindgren - Adam Fox
Quinn Hughes - Luke Martin
Chad Krys - Andrew Peeke
Dylan Samberg

Goalies (x3):

Joseph Woll
Jake Oettinger
Keith Petruzelli

Notes:
  • I wouldn't read too much into it, but none of the players scratched for the closing game in last year's WJSS ended up making the team. Only three of the players (Brown, Fischer, Boeser) that played in the game ended up being left off the team, and Fischer wasn't released by Arizona and Boeser was injured.
  • I think Motzko and company are really comfortable with the Brown/Poehling lines. I would surprised if they didn't have those two full lines targeted to at least start the tournament.
  • Back in January, I thought Harper was the most likely returnee to miss out on the team, but I think Bellows is now most in jeopardy of being left off. He had a poor tournament last year outside of his 2 goals in the GMG, and he didn't show well here either. Harper had a good WJSS and has more natural skill.
  • Of the forwards I left off, I liked Gerlach the best. I think he showed that he can contribute to this team, and I wouldn't be surprised if he made it. It's hard to know where Jones/Lockwood fit in since Jones missed the first few days off camp and was injured in his first game, and Lockwood only practiced.
  • On defense, I think you have to be pretty thrilled with how the group showed, especially without Lindgren. Fox was fantastic here, Hughes stepped up and showed he's ready, and most of the guys showed they could contribute at this level. Greenway and Day are the only d-men I don't think should really be under any consideration for the team based on their performances here.
  • I added Samberg as my #7, but I would have been comfortable with a number of others as well. I think Samberg offers the best versatility (and size), but you could make strong arguments for Farrance, M. Anderson, and Kemp as well.
  • It was nice to see a few '99s play really well here and make their cases for the team. Tkachuk, Poehling, and Hughes were the standout '99s, but guys like Samberg, M. Anderson, Farrance, and Kemp played well too.
  • Biggest disappointments of camp for me were Frederic and Norris. Frederic is big and strong and coming off a fantastic freshmen season, but he didn't play like it here. I thought he played his best game tonight, but he should have been battling for a top 6 role and instead looks like a bottom 6 guy for this team. Norris just didn't show at all. It's probably a year early for him at this level, but I was hopeful he could be a potential bottom 6 guy this year.
  • Right now, the only guys that were at the camp at the end that I don't think should be under any consideration for the final team: Greenway, Day, Cockerill, Dhooghe, and St Cyr.
  • Woll/Oettinger still appear to be on track to split games to start the tournament, and the first goalie to take control will get the net going forward.

I love William Bonney's posts. He is very informed and tell it like it is.

I think the USA defense is solid. Goal tending is top notch.

Forward are decent . Keller whom is the number 1 prospect in all of hockey will be missed.

Looking forward to the WJC. David Farrance for me would be the next guy on the team.

Last edited:

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
I'm curious about Brady Tkachuk and what type of player (more so positionally)people see him evolving into. I see him currently listed as both C/LW but what is he when he makes it to the NHL? He has great size but does he have the playmaking skills to be a NHL center or is he more suited to being a PFD?

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
One thing I noticed missing for the US was a dude on the back end who loves to hit and just knock people around. To be fair, I only saw Saturday's game. Am I wrong?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
some good performances and some bad ones...very typical with these types of camps.

overall the team looked solid, we have depth all around, and though we are lacking that elite level talent, the skill is evident on all lines.

this is going to be a good workmen like team, that needs to do the little things right and they will succeed. the defense has enough skill to keep the puck on our forwards sticks where we need it to be.

I like the balance of this group overall, again, should be in the Gold medal game. I have Norris making this team, can't see him not making it as he has too many tools to keep off- never been his biggest fan, but he should land a spot on this team.

Tufte could be the bounce back player of the year- if so this team could get scary good real fast.

Mittelstadt - Brown - Yamamoto
Tkachuk - Poehling - Anderson
Bellows - Frederic - Harper
Jones - Norris - Lockwood
Tufte

Lindgren
Fox
Hughes
Martin
Peeke
Krys
Farrance

Oettinger
Woll
Petruzelli

Last edited:

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
I still havent seen the Canada game. I'll be home from vacation tomorrow night so I'll watch soon. I really appreciate all the insights and predictions. Good stuff. Thanx

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I love William Bonney's posts. He is very informed and tell it like it is.

I think the USA defense is solid. Goal tending is top notch.

Forward are decent . Keller whom is the number 1 prospect in all of hockey will be missed.

Looking forward to the WJC. David Farrance for me would be the next guy on the team.

Bonney is one of the best posters in this forum. Very informed, with great analysis. Always a pleasure to read his posts.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Bonney is one of the best posters in this forum. Very informed, with great analysis. Always a pleasure to read his posts.

Agree 100%, however, I still like to give him a hard time if I can because he cheers for the red, white, and blue. Horrible.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
You all are being too nice. While small, we have a great group of USA Hockey fanatics on this board, and international hockey talk (even with Canadians :D) is what keeps me here.

Agree 100%, however, I still like to give him a hard time if I can
because he cheers for the red, white, and blue. Horrible.

Hey, as a USAH fan, I think I've suffered enough without any assistance from you Canucks :D

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA
I'm nervous about Brown being in the NHL. Which would be good for him I guess, but to have to break up that potential like would suck

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Wilde should be on this team, but he wasn't at the WJSS camp, so its very unlikely.

I've liked Wilde's game for a while but I think he'd be in over his head just a bit in this tournament. If he has a great start to the first few months of the season could he be an off the board invite that we sometimes see at main camp? I doubt it but it would make for fun conversation.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
I appreciate the reassurance. You would know better than me :) haha

I wouldn't be shocked if Brown got 9 games, primarily for developmental purposes and because Brassard may get a late start to the season. But it would be absolutely stunning if he stuck around beyond that. The Sens have 12 forwards on one-way deals, and Brown would have to considerably outplay Colin White, Nick Paul and Max McCormick (all outside the top 12) to stick around. Not likely, especially with a relatively conservative coach in Boucher.

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA
It's a single elimination tournament, they'd have a shot. Canada would be the overwhelming favorites though

Last edited:

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Hypothetically--- If NHL players we're allowed to compete, would the US even have a shot at gold?

We saw a tweet a while back with a potential roster and we weren't so sure.

What do you guys think?

Last year, it was pretty much a wash between USA and Canada in terms of players who didnt play but could have. It changes year to year...there have certainly been years where Canada was missing a boatload of talent compared to the US. But, like I said, last year was even and USA won, so....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad