WC: 2018 - Team Switzerland

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Practice lineup according to Dino Kessler (who it seems is not followed by @jonas2244 :D):

Diaz - Müller
Untersander - Fora
Genazzi - Siegenthaler
Kukan - Frick
Sutter

Hofmann - Corvi - Niederreiter
Riat - Vermin - Moser
Scherwey - Haas - Andrighetto
Baltisberger - Schäppi - Rod
Walser

(I guess he has Riat and Moser swapped)

Last edited:

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, I don't like blick-journalists. :)

That would probably mean: Sutter, Walser and one of Genazzi and Siegenthaler are not nominated.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
So, does that mean, Fischer will ice only 4 Ds against Austria? That's quite bold;) Probably it means, none of the 5 others have separated himself from the rest. What do you guys think?

The D-lineup from the practice looks a bit weird with Kukan on the 4th line and 2 RD on the 2nd pairing. Kukan-Untersander would be the logical 2nd pairing IMO. Kukan's skating ability could make up for Untersander's shortcomings in this area.

Wasn't Sutter the last cut for the WHC 17? Could happen again...poor boy.

Walser and Baltisberger fighting for the last spot on attack makes sense. The 13th forward could be in a tough situation, depending on the results in NA. Baltisberger is the grittier option, while Walser can keep together a line in a defensive role. As the possible add-ons, Fiala and Meier, both are wings, and only 2 classical centers and 3 1/2 all position players on the team, I still lean towards Walser making the team. But that could mean, either Schäppi or Vermin had to move to the wing. Which of course both are capable of.

Some random thoughts:

With Hischier, Malgin, Suter and Richard out, the Haas-Corvi-Vermin combo is the most offensive center lineup, Switzerland could possibly ice.

Before the training camps, I'd never thought Riat and Rod could make the team over Thürkauf. But the definitely outplayed him.

I still would have prefered Walker over Baltisberger on the team. But nevertheless Baltisberger is a fine player.

As I thought for a long time, that the incredible 92-generation will once dominate the offense in the NT. We are finally there. If Walser makes the team, half the attack is from this generation. (Only Bärtschi and to a lesser extend Lammer are missing) Very impressive!

Im thoroughly excited about this tournament.... which makes me a bit anxious as the Swiss typically aren't very good, when you expect a lot. It's about time to prove us all wrong!

Hopp Schwiiz!

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
One thing I forgot.

Im eager to see the Nino-Corvi-Hofmann. On paper that's a fantastic line. Hofmann and Corvi looked very good when put on the same line in Davos. And Nino's board and crease play as well as his physical presence and shooting skills seem to match them perfectly. I acctually prefer it like this to the Moser-Nino combo for 2 reasons.

1) As good as Moser and Nino were in cycling situations in the offense before. The lack of elite footspeed by both of them has hurt them in the past to acctually get to the position to bulid it up. Once they were there though, it was a true pleasure.

2) if things wont work the way Fischer hopes. He still can rely on an old and proven combo. (same with Hofmann and Andrighetto)

It's great to find time again to join the conversation. (As I had to do a lot of stuff at work, so that I can take the next week off to concentrate on hockey once again:banana:)

Reactions: Jon Riley

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
It probably doesn't mean much. Fischer had to register 15 skaters today, so he did that. And he registered those 4 D-man who will certainly play.

About the D-lines, I don't think Kessler meant to post a hierarchy. Kukan will obviously have Top-4 minutes. Maybe Fischer plans to ice 3 pairs with about the same ice-time on 5:5. Kukan and Mueller will probably get much PK-icetime while Diaz and Untersander will be the blueliner of the PP-formations.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Maybe Fischer's plan is play with Diaz-Müller, Untersander-Fora, Genazzi-Siegenthaler and Kukan who could be inserted anywhere in the rotation. He's probably the defenseman best suited to play in any role. Or maybe he's kept aside to play with Josi :D

And I completely agree with splitting Moser and Niederreiter, it's good to have two lines with a player who can play around the net.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
It probably doesn't mean much. Fischer had to register 15 skaters today, so he did that. And he registered those 4 D-man who will certainly play.

About the D-lines, I don't think Kessler meant to post a hierarchy. Kukan will obviously have Top-4 minutes. Maybe Fischer plans to ice 3 pairs with about the same ice-time on 5:5. Kukan and Mueller will probably get much PK-icetime while Diaz and Untersander will be the blueliner of the PP-formations.

That makes sence.

So you think too, Fischer hasn't decided yet, who will be Nr.5-Nr.7?
It's definitely a tough call to make.

It's always hard to predict what the NHL players can offer in different roles on different ice-size. Müller and the more proven Kukan aren't natural leaders characterwise. But if they somehow play up to there potential, I could see as well Fischer going more top4 heavy and the 3rd pairing with lesser ice-time. (Not as extreme as Nasville of course)

And we shouldn't forget about Genazzi for the PP...but then he shouldn't forget about passing the puck once in a while:laugh:

And if one of Müller/Kukan really explodes positively, they might gonna join the conversation as well. (Both would be quick enough for a proper backchecking if there's a turn-over, not so sure about the other options. Which is a big plus.)

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
Maybe Fischer's plan is play with Diaz-Müller, Untersander-Fora, Genazzi-Siegenthaler and Kukan who could be inserted anywhere in the rotation. He's probably the defenseman best suited to play in any role. Or maybe he's kept aside to play with Josi :D

I know a lot of Ds have the ability to play their off-side covincingly as well as their natural side. But if you have the comfort of having enough RD on the team, wouldn't you try to match the pairs naturally?

Plus Fora and Untersander, both haven't got the strongest skating ability. It doesn't seem the most obvious pairing IMO.

Don't you think Kukan is too good for a slot-in role only? Maybe he isn't fully fit?

And yes, if Josi really could join, Kukan or Diaz both could be option to partner him.

And if Meier joins, we'd have a 3rd very good crease player. That's tempting as well.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Kukan hasn't played much lately, was injured and played one game just before the playoffs. Maybe Fischer thinks he need one or two games to adjust to his role.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
So according to 20 minuten it's:

Raphael Diaz/Mirco Müller; Dean Kukan/Ramon Untersander; Lukas Frick/Michael Fora; Jonas Siegenthaler/Joël Genazzi.

Sutter and Walser won't be registered and one of Siegenthaler/Genazzi also will have to watch the games over the weekend. Fischer will start (as expected) with 7+12 and wait what happens next in NA. I didn't expect that Frick would be chosen over Siegenthaler and Genazzi. He certainly adjusted to international play better and better and deservs that spot.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
So, only 2 points to start which is very disappointing, but a good performance overall. Lots of chances created and solid game defensively, but unfortunately individual mistakes ended up costing a point.

I thought that most forwards had a good game. Apart from the obvious ones, Haas, Riat and Rod showed some very good things, and I thought that Scherwey, Moser, Vermin and Baltisberger improved as the game went on. Schäppi can do better, and so can Andrighetto, even without considering the penalty.

On defense, Kukan had an awful game. I don't know what happend to him, he looked on his way to become a dominant player but he hasn't improved much over the last 2-3 seasons. Not convinced by Fora and Genazzi either, although Genazzi had his moments offensively. Frick continues to impress, I would have never expected him to play that well.

Many things to build on, but I would like to see better chemistry within the Haas and Vermin line.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I agree on most of the points. Fora was ok. Baltisberger is limited but played well inside his limits. Riat had a good game, Moser had his stronges moments in the third period. Kukan was ugly in the first period, 2nd was better and then after this mistake he completly lost his game. But as I said before, Kukan played only a few games this year. He may get better. I really hope so.

Now Fischer probably has to select Walser which means only two open spots. I don't think he'll play with 11 forwards in a crucial game. Or even play Genazzi as F.

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
I agree on most of the points. Fora was ok. Baltisberger is limited but played well inside his limits. Riat had a good game, Moser had his stronges moments in the third period. Kukan was ugly in the first period, 2nd was better and then after this mistake he completly lost his game. But as I said before, Kukan played only a few games this year. He may get better. I really hope so.

Now Fischer probably has to select Walser which means only two open spots. I don't think he'll play with 11 forwards in a crucial game. Or even play Genazzi as F.

Will it make such a big difference? If Meier & Fiala become available, he'll wish to have played the 11 forwards, because they will make a difference for the swiss offensive lines . ;-)

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
We'll see the opinion from Fischer on that, I think it does. Especially because they probably won't be able to play before next Saturday. And with 11 forwards you always have to double-shift one.

But as NSH also lost this night he could tend to let this spot open. We'll see.

Reactions: Retroglyphs

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I think he will leave the spot open, Fischer is not afraid to take risks. It's not like Andrighetto is injured, he will be back for Tuesday's game.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, it's probably correct, but I thought that the IIHF would add an additional suspension because of the heavyness of the injury.

After that he probably plays 7+11 tonight, yes. Or 6+12 with Genazzi on the wing in the 4th line.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I really like the Scherwey-Haas-Rod line against Slovakia. Anyone thinks Fischer could keep them together? In that case, where does Andrighetto fit?

I'm also not convinced by Hofmann with Corvi and Niedrreiter, although to be fair to him it would be hard for anyone to fit with two players who already have good chemistry. Maybe Andrighetto could play there, but then what do you do with Hofmann? Tricky choice.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
A bit passive in the 3rd, but very solid last few minutes. Not too typical for a team coached by Fischer. It's a good sign.

Overall there's a lot to like so far.

The teamspirit, dedication and a positive approach, it's all there. The legs too. A lot of players have surprised so far. Both GKs with a promising start. Kukan has arrived, Müller was very good today, Diaz looks better than lately. Untersander has the presence, we normaly see in the NLA. Fora is physically more than ready. Frick surprises all around.

Having 3 so skilled, quick and active centers is a big plus. Surprised by the dedication Vermin shows. He has learnt a lot overseas about that. Will be interesting to see how they can withstand physically the top nations. That's a slight concern.

Nino, a leader as always. Moser was big today, rovering the boards. Has adapted to the speed of the game finally. Rod seems to need no adaption time. Doesn't play too complicate, but, the stuff he's good at, works fine even on this level. Scherwey replaces Ambühl as the energy leader and PK monster. Baltisberger had a good game too today. Genazzi did a good job too today.
Riat seems to be still a bit limited for this level. But with a few kilos more, could be an important player in the future. He'll probably be the first who loses his spot if Fiala or Meier would come.
Hofmann does worry me a bit. Was better yesterday than today. Does hide a bit behind the 2 others. You could see him today, tighten a bit up. Started fumbling pucks, losing a bit timing. Things that worked perfectly in the POs. But we' ve seen that many times with him. The next 2 game will be very crucial for him. He has to stay active and courageous with the puck or he could disappear once again.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, it could. On the other hand the Top-3 in the other group look very strong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->