WC: 2018 - Team Switzerland

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
That's glorious!

So what do you guys think about Hischer?
Would you rather have him on the team after this intensive year? Or you'd prefer him to get a longer rest and concentrate on a proper physical summer training? (With the risk of not having him around for years with the Devils clearly on the up-swing)

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, that's what you normally think. The NHL doesn't care. It wouldn't harm Nico's development if he'd play. Ambühl used to say playing WC is much better than some boring training session. Young players get better by playing. If he'd be injured it's another question but he obviously isn't.

What makes me more angry is that the Devils got a developed player for free. And the Swiss federation had it's share on his development. They let him rest last year so he could be ready for the draft. Doesn't count anything.

Reactions: swisdan

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
I think they just disclosed a wrist/hand injury that needs surgery or some weeks of complete immobilization.
Of course it can be that the injury has been overblown just to avoid saying "we are not letting him go", though..

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Of course it can be that the injury has been overblown just to avoid saying "we are not letting him go", though..

Yeah, I'd guess this is a good point.

By the way: LAT-SUI 1:2 OT

Riat and Mottet score again.

We expect Kukan, Mueller, Nino and Andrighetto.
And Geering, Herzog, Suter, Schäppi, Hofmann and hopefully Furrer.
So 10 players will join the team on Monday. Which is quite a change.

Last edited:

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Yeah, that's what you normally think. The NHL doesn't care. It wouldn't harm Nico's development if he'd play. Ambühl used to say playing WC is much better than some boring training session. Young players get better by playing. If he'd be injured it's another question but he obviously isn't.

What makes me more angry is that the Devils got a developed player for free. And the Swiss federation had it's share on his development. They let him rest last year so he could be ready for the draft. Doesn't count anything.

He's missing it because his hand needs to immobilized.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
So, if the Devils had made the 2nd Round, they gladly would have rested him for 2 -4 Weeks, just to make sure? Cause it's not worth taking risks with their future face of the franchise?

You gotta love the hypocrisy n the NHL lately. Especially if you consider, that the people in charge for the Devils were constantly raving about Nico's impressive maturity and decisionmaking on and off the ice. But here, deny him the right to decide for himself.

But it is what it is. As long as they can afford it. They are the big fish. It's big business with big business rules. No country for gentelmen agreements. I mean they went into war with the players, even the domestic ones, depriving them of the OGs, just to prove the point that they mean big business. And there, even stuff, that seems traditionaly, naturally and morally an absolute given, won't be granted if you haven't properly fought and negotiated for it. No reason for them to treat federations any different.
And as long as the Europeans can't stand together politically and/or offer a solution hockeywise that's at least a semi-alternative to the NHL, nothing will change.

So that means, that you have to develop even more NHL-level prospects. To ensure, you can at least semi- compensate for the various reasons why parts of the overseas players won't commit. So acctually, it's a good year for Switzerland, with Hischier being the only guy missing.

When taking the emotions out and from NJD's perspectives, when analyzing Hischier's season, it's clear what they want. A well rested player, who will be guided by them through the off-season, to make clear, he'll report to the camp with at least 5 kg more of muscules. Cause with the brand of hockey Hischier's playing, he needs mostly more size and strengh to improve his effectivness in the NHL. Somehow, this is understandable too, even if misfortune for us fans.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Malgin is also missing because of some strange reason. Only Baertschi is clearly injured.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
I know. And Sbisa's clearly injured (as always:() too.

20 years ago, we would have been happy, if we had as many NHL players in total, as the NHL is depriving us of, this season.

That's somehow a positive!

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
As a Devils fan it sucks that Hischier isn't playing because it would be cool to see him playing some more hockey instead of waiting a bit longer to see him active again, but it is what it is. I dont think the Devils would have had an issue letting him play since they were letting Hall go if he wanted, let Mueller go, let Butcher go, let Kinkaid go and would let Johansson go as well if he wanted.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
So, if the Devils had made the 2nd Round, they gladly would have rested him for 2 -4 Weeks, just to make sure? Cause it's not worth taking risks with their future face of the franchise?

When taking the emotions out and from NJD's perspectives, when analyzing Hischier's season, it's clear what they want. A well rested player, who will be guided by them through the off-season, to make clear, he'll report to the camp with at least 5 kg more of muscules. Cause with the brand of hockey Hischier's playing, he needs mostly more size and strengh to improve his effectivness in the NHL. Somehow, this is understandable too, even if misfortune for us fans.

I think you're blowing this out of proportion.

If he's truly been playing with this all season, it's something that likely didn't stop him from playing but bothered him. If he joined the Swiss team, he'd play until mid-May, then would have to rest his wrist like he is doing now which would then push any off-season training back to early June.

For a kid that needs to bulk up, a full off-season training is far more important to his long-term development than playing in the WC. Considering how he wanted to go despite the injury, I think you're going to see Hischier often at the WC.

rimpirate

Nov 19, 2013

If he's truly been playing with this all season, it's something that likely didn't stop him from playing but bothered him. If he joined the Swiss team, he'd play until mid-May, then would have to rest his wrist like he is doing now which would then push any off-season training back to early June.

For a kid that needs to bulk up, a full off-season training is far more important to his long-term development than playing in the WC. Considering how he wanted to go despite the injury, I think you're going to see Hischier often at the WC.

Just be glad you won't ever be in the position of European hockey fans. Far more often than not, we get to see at most the first few baby steps of our best players before the NHL snatches them away, leaving us the options to a) pay for expensive travel to see them play live, b) stay up in the middle of the night to see them play on tv/stream/whatever, c) pray for their team to have a crappy season and miss the playoffs such that maybe, with an inordinate amount of luck, you might get to see them play in the world championship, d) pray that the NHL deems the next Olympic venue an important enough market to let them play (provided your national team qualified, otherwise you're out of luck), e) pray for a full season lockout such that you might get to see players your youth movement produced actually suiting up for your team for once in your life.

Missing out on Hischier now would have been a lot more palatable if the Olympics had involved our best players.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Not much to add about Hischier, for my opinion on the NHL's level of entitlement, see my post about Malgin.

A bit about yesterday's game. Similar to the first game against Norway with Switzerland managing good breakouts and transition and able to regularly reach the offensive zone in control of the puck, but once there had trouble creating chances as Latvia was very well organised and dominated their own slot. Too many blocked shots and not enough presence on rebounds, although it must be said that Gudlevskis was excellent and didn't allow many. Too many missed passes as well. The biggest difference with Norway was that Latvia is much more skilled and managed to create more scoring chances. In the end, Latvia had more big chances than Switzerland, although most of them were created by mistakes by Swiss players, the most notable by Genazzi, Siegenthaler, Haas and Diaz. Overtime was completely dominated by Switzerland, who missed two two-on-none breakaways as Scherwey and Haas decided to go for the goal rather than pass.

Genoni had a good game. Could have done better on the goal, but the defense didn't help him much on that play. Untersander was the best defenseman, Diaz was good too and Geisser played his best game so far. The Loeffel-Genazzi and Siegenthaler-Fora pairs were inconsistant. Bodenmann was the most active forward and created a lot of chances, Rüfenacht played better than against Norway, and Riat had a good game too. Corvi was fine but not as good as in the previous games, Thürkauf showed his potential but probably isn't ready yet, Moser failed to impress again but seemed to get better as the game went on. Haas was the most disappointing player, didn't create much and had a few turnovers and poor defensive coverage.

Now with the four players joining from North America plus the ZSC and Lugano guys joining next week, almost half the team will be cut after today's game. I won't be able to watch it so I might as well go with my roster predictions now.

Three to five defensemen will leave, depending on Geering and Furrer. Paschoud is the safest bet to be cut, but then I am not sure. I guess Geisser won't make it, but he improved a lot over the camp (I guess being paired with Diaz helped). Frick had solid games and I wouldn't mind bringing him to Copenhagen as the 8th defenseman, but on the other hand he's pretty limited. Then it's between Loeffel, Genazzi, Fora and Siegenthaler. I guess it will all depend on Fischer and Albelin's preferences, I'm glad I'm not the one who has to make that choice.

At center, I guess Walser is cut as Schäppi and Vermin are much better options for the fourth line. Corvi was the most consistent forward over the camp and should make the team, as should Suter if available. Then it's between Haas and Albrecht, and although Haas doesn't play as well as he could, he has more potential to be a difference maker and should make it. I'm not considering Rod as Fischer always used him as a winger, and I guess that :eek::eek::eek::eek:i and Sannitz won't get consideration either (they're both injured anyway).

It's more difficult to make predictions for wingers. Niederreiter and Andrighetto are obviously set, so there are seven spots available. The lack of scoring seen during the Euro Hockey challenge doesn't exactly speak in favor of the players currently on the roster, although none of them was bad and an obvious cut. I assume that Hofmann, Herzog and Hollenstein will get a spot. Hofmann just scores too much to be ignored, Hollenstein, even though he hasn't been at his best lately, has shown that he can produce at the WC, and Herzog is the perfect linemate for Schäppi on the 4th line and did well for the national team previously. I wouldn't take Praplan as he looks completely out of confidence from what I've seen of Kloten and probably wouldn't solve the scoring issue.

So that leaves four spots for the eight wingers that played yesterday. I'd cut Mottet, who did better than expected but is unlikely to be able to handle the physicality of the WC, while Rod and Thürkauf I think are not ready yet. Moser hasn't been good so far, but I would still take him for reasons already discussed. Then it all depends on Fischer's plan. Riat has done well on Corvi's line (and Corvi needs a shooter), but maybe Fischer plans to use Hofmann on that spot. Bodenmann and Rüfenacht had highs and lows, and Scherwey brings a lot of energy. I would have said that Bodenmann should be the odd man out, but after what he showed yesterday I am not sure.

Difficult to say what will happen. I'll never understand why there is no game scheduled for next week, especially this year with the playoffs running one week later than usual compared to the Euro Hockey Challenge.

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich

So, if we had the (highly unlikely) scenario of the Devils going deep into postseason, don't you think, they would have let him play, regardless of his injury, even beyond mid-may if necessary? Especially, when you are considering him battling this injury for a long time, and never missing a single game.

That's the hypocritical part of the story IMO.

Acctually, I've written something similar in the last part of my post.

It makes totally sense from a Devil's perspective. They want to be as much in control of Nico's off-season as possible.

So, why not saying the things, the way they are?

I hope you are right with your last sentence. But I doubt it, as the Devils are clearly a franchise on the up-swing. I wouldn't be surprised if they go deeper in the POs in the next few years.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
So, if we had the (highly unlikely) scenario of the Devils going deep into postseason, don't you think, they would have let him play, regardless of his injury, even beyond mid-may if necessary? Especially, when you are considering him battling this injury for a long time, and never missing a single game.

That's the hypocritical part of the story IMO.

Acctually, I've written something similar in the last part of my post.

It makes totally sense from a Devil's perspective. They want to be as much in control of Nico's off-season as possible.

So, why not saying the things, the way they are?

I hope you are right with your last sentence. But I doubt it, as the Devils are clearly a franchise on the up-swing. I wouldn't be surprised if they go deeper in the POs in the next few years.

He totally would've played. But my main point is I think the Devils are doing everything right now that they think is best for his development. Playing in NHL playoff games is more important for his long-term future and development than the WC. Same goes for resting his wrist injury and bulking up.

Devils let Butcher go to the WC to represent the US and I say he's in the same boat as Nico. He has a lot he can work on, especially skating wise, but the difference is he's healthy. He's not going to need an additional few weeks to rest up an injury after the WC.

Their rationale for not letting him go makes sense. Only way it doesn't is if you think it's part of a conspiracy where he's injured.

I hope from a Devils fan sake he doesn't end up going to the WC because he will be playing in the playoffs. But my main point is he seems like a loyal guy and said on exit day he would like to go. The guys that aren't interested and don't go are the ones that brush it off.

Reactions: Planet Hockey

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, I'm not afraid that Nico will deny invitations. He'll come next year if he's healthy and the Devils out. It's just, I'm not fully convinced about this story. It looks like a minor thing which would heal anyway. But yeah, it's the way it is, we cannot change that. And of course it's a general frustration about the way the NHL acts. Hockey is a global sport and the NHL profits much from this. But the seem not interested in giving something back.

Second win vs. Latvia, Berra with the shutout. Geisser with his first goal, Loeffel and Walser the other scorers. Siegenthaler couldn't finish the game, we'll see how serious it is.
I guess we'll get the roster on sunday, after the guys who are playing the final tonight have finished celebrating or mourning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->