WC: 2018 - Team Czech Republic

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
This should be more or less all for now. Sobotka is question. Kämpf will probably go to playoff and Pavelec likely not invited.

Now we wait for NHL first round end and Třinec/Brno series end. Also Sekáč will play KHL final, unlikely he will go, but maybe there is a chance.

Edit: Sobotka is definitely out, want to be with family.
No thanks to Sekac. Guy is an absolute no show in the internationals tournaments. He may create 5 great chances per game, but what is it good for when he doesn't finish on any of them? It's the same story as his short stint in the NHL.

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
I hope for Rittich and finally I'd like to see Hrachovina atleast in Swedish hockey games ...

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
No thanks to Sekac. Guy is an absolute no show in the internationals tournaments. He may create 5 great chances per game, but what is it good for when he doesn't finish on any of them? It's the same story as his short stint in the NHL.
He reminds me little of young Jan Kovář. He has 5 points in his first 40 games, similiar to Sekáč. Hopefully he will start produce some points later like him. Now it's very unlikely he will come, the injury seemed serious. I just write all possibilities.

Reactions: Wooren

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
He reminds me little of young Jan Kovář. He has 5 points in his first 40 games, similiar to Sekáč. Hopefully he will start produce some points later like him. Now it's very unlikely he will come, the injury seemed serious. I just write all possibilities.
This year Jandac has so much players on the same level as Sekac is and they all are healthy. There is no need to have Sekac in all costs.

Reactions: Wooren

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
I think Francouz, Furch and Bartošák are given.
Yeah it looks like that, Jandac must hate Hrachovina. I realy don't know why. Hrachovina is among best in stats (every year) in the country with best goalies on the world.

Reactions: Vidy

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Yeah it looks like that, Jandac must hate Hrachovina. I realy don't know why. Hrachovina is among best in stats (every year) in the country with best goalies on the world.
Well, it's harder to try all goalies, only one can be in net. I think Hrachovina will get a shot, just the Olympic season make it hard. And right now we are good, Francouz is Francouz, he is in NHL next year. Furch as solid No.2 and Bartošák is solid also, I don't think there is too much difference between him and Hrachovina personally.

This year Jandac has so much players on the same level as Sekac is and they all are healthy. There is no need to have Sekac in all costs.

I agree about that. Just mentioned it in case something happen. He is still almost PPG player in KHL, so he deserve some recognition.

Last edited:

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
We are OK in offense but seriously what are we going to do with Ds? Arent these guys probably best we could pick + Doudera, Krejcik? This can go awful or we will built all offense team with results like 7:5 in every match.

Reactions: Pixie

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Another game with France today. Stránský and Šťastný played well in these games. Kaše, Pavelka and Hanzl are also players I like in these games. But who really continue to impress me is Tomášek, he is playing with great self-confidence. Overall good test for us, France played hard and with energy.

Czech Republic vs France 6-2
Goals: 20. Kaše (Stránský), 34. Pavelka (Kousal), 38.Hanzl (Šťastný), 46. Šťastný, 46. Kousal (Kaut), 59. Řepík (Klok) - 7. Leclerc (Rech), 11. Perret (Ritz, Gutierrez)

Line-up
Bartošák (Furch) – Pyrochta, Jordán (A), Sklenička, Klok, Pavelka, Hrbas, Galvas, Moravčík – Kaše, Hanzl, Stránský – Řepík (A), Kousal, Birner (C) – Šťastný, Musil, Orsava – Kaut, Tomášek, Ordoš

I guess we can expect some cuts after this game. There is currently 21 forwards on roster.

Reactions: Jablkon

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
We are OK in offense but seriously what are we going to do with Ds? Arent these guys probably best we could pick + Doudera, Krejcik? This can go awful or we will built all offense team with results like 7:5 in every match.
Polášek, Vitásek and Mozík didn't play today. But I agree, lots of defensive mistakes. If there is some NHL D-man available, it will be very good.

Reactions: Jablkon

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Well, it's harder to try all goalies, only one can be in net. I think Hrachovina will get a shot, just the Olympic season make it hard. And right now we are good, Francouz is Francouz, he is in NHL next year. Furch as solid No.2 and Bartošák is solid also, I don't think there is too much difference between him and Hrachovina personally.

I agree about that. Just mentioned it in case something happen. He is still almost PPG player in KHL, so he deserve some recognition.

He is? Where is he going and what would he be doing? I'm guessing if he comes, and I hope he does, that he'd be in the AHL just like Rittich and Mazanec. Speaking of that, Svoboda needs to try that as well. It's about 90% that we will not have an NHL starter next season.

I like the trio of Furch, Francouz and Bartosak but they haven't won anything. As of next week we might have Rittich, Neuvirth and Hrachovina available. I'm pretty sure that is a better threesome. That is assuming Neuvirth isn't hurt which he always is.

My point being that the Czechs are going with the same guys over and over and losing in quarters and not scoring in Semi-Finals and Bronze games when they do make them.

I'm really hoping that Jandac sticks with the young guys and goes with a lot of new young blood. I know we won't win gold but we gave this generation of guys a lot of chances and they didn't win anything. I really enjoyed them and watched every game. I loved the Olympic Team which was, to me, an all star team of our last few World Championships teams but, in the end, no medals in 5 years from that group.

Having said that... Jandac will have to choose from:
Frk
Faksa
Kase
Kaut
Necas (guessing he'll get invite)
Chytil
Chlapik
Jaskin
Zadina

Faksa will be a lock (or should be, he even got Selke talk this year) but how many will Jandac choose?

As far as D. We have very weak D. We don't have a guy in the Top 50 in the NHL. We don't have that many in the top of the KHL either. I'm really hoping Masin, Hronek, Zboril and Hajek catch fire. Sustr is probably done in the NHL and no guarantee that Kempny or Jerabek will be back next season. At best, those guys will all sign 1 year contracts. Simek didn't even crack the NHL this season and he was my second favourite D at the last World's (behind Gudas). Rutta had a great year and I'm thrilled he is signed again next year. He wouldn't qualify as a Top 100 D though in the NHL.

For the record, I'm a massive fan of Czech hockey and follow it very closely but we are in a huge period of transition from a very poor decade of players. Jandac needs to move on from current group and adopt the next group because it looks like we have good players coming up. Canada has McDavid, Barzal, Eberle, RNH coming. Sweden has 10 NHLers on the team already. Time to build our young guys!

PS. Shame Kase is RFA. If Anaheim keeps losing I was really hoping to see him get the call as he had an awesome season.

Last edited:

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
He is? Where is he going and what would he be doing? I'm guessing if he comes, and I hope he does, that he'd be in the AHL just like Rittich and Mazanec. Speaking of that, Svoboda needs to try that as well. It's about 90% that we will not have an NHL starter next season.

I like the trio of Furch, Francouz and Bartosak but they haven't won anything. As of next week we might have Rittich, Neuvirth and Hrachovina available. I'm pretty sure that is a better threesome. That is assuming Neuvirth isn't hurt which he always is.
I exaggerated about Francouz, true. What I meant is he have the ability to play there next year. And he should be no problem as our No. 1.

It's possible the other trio will be better, I just think there is no need of someone else coming as goalies are not our weakness and they are stable. I like to see Neuvirth though, but he is injured like you said and likely will not pass medical.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Filip Pavlík, Martin Pláněk (both HK Mountfield) and David Rittich (Calgary Flames / Stockton Heat) added on roster.

Injury report: Vitásek out for 10 days at least. Kaše has broken finger on hand, will go on x-ray next week, remains with team for now, but it not looks good. Polášek and Řepík with minor injuries. There is chance Mozík is healty at WHC, but not big.

Last edited:

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Rittich will join tommorow, but will not play at Carlson Hockey Games. He will rest until Sweden Hockey Games. Mirinho and Czechboy you can be happy:).

Also 4 players will be cut soon, as only 30 players can play in EHT.

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
Rittich will join tommorow, but will not play at Carlson Hockey Games. He will rest until Sweden Hockey Games. Mirinho and Czechboy you can be happy:).

Yeah I'm happy with Rittich :laugh: and add Hrachovina and I'm mega happy :laugh: ... According to matches in France, both our goalies were absolutely out of form.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Haha... I'm sort of happy. I have no idea what the coach is planning. I'm confused as I thought he had picked his 3 starters. I can't imagine he'd make Rittich the 3rd goalie so is Rittich there to fight Francouz for #1? If Rittich makes it (and I think he should) then who does he bump?

Real shame about Kase! I think Philadelphia has forgotten about him a little and I think he can become a very good NHL player if given the chance.

Reactions: Pixie

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Haha... I'm sort of happy. I have no idea what the coach is planning. I'm confused as I thought he had picked his 3 starters. I can't imagine he'd make Rittich the 3rd goalie so is Rittich there to fight Francouz for #1? If Rittich makes it (and I think he should) then who does he bump?

Real shame about Kase! I think Philadelphia has forgotten about him a little and I think he can become a very good NHL player if given the chance.
I was suprised too, obviously. It's probably Bartošák who gets cut now. But is question if Furch/Rittich accept 3rd role. We will see.

Kaše still have a chance, they want to give him some special brace. But given we have 22 forwards + Nečas and maybe someone else coming, it's much smaller chance now. And I hope he make NHL eventually, still only 21 year old.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Yeah I'm happy with Rittich :laugh: and add Hrachovina and I'm mega happy :laugh: ... According to matches in France, both our goalies were absolutely out of form.
They looked better with Switzerland (who didn't looks good), so maybe it only was bad games. I would be very suprised if Hrachovina came also, but I rather not saying anything again:laugh:. But either way we don't need to worry about goalies. We only need some defensemen right now.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
They looked better with Switzerland (who didn't looks good), so maybe it only was bad games. I would be very suprised if Hrachovina came also, but I rather not saying anything again:laugh:. But either way we don't need to worry about goalies. We only need some defensemen right now.

I will say I'm really disapointed in Czech Dmen but when I consider that last year's D... a bunch of them ended up in the NHL so I'd say the coach did a great job picking them. I'm upset Simek didn't even get a game but Kempny, Jerabek and Rutta all played in the NHL this year. Not sure if we have many players left in Europe who will make NHL.

He has too many forwards and is going to get a few more (Hertl would probably come, I think Kase would too, Voracek would come and maybe Domink Simon, I don't think Plekanec would play this year). He's going to have about 20 forwards to pick from.

Personally, I think he should take all the NHL guys and 2 or 3 of the promising new group (Kaut, Zadina, Chytil, Necas) and then pick 4 European Vets and build it like that. I think he'll probably cut NHL guys and go with European vets. I hope I'm wrong.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
I will say I'm really disapointed in Czech Dmen but when I consider that last year's D... a bunch of them ended up in the NHL so I'd say the coach did a great job picking them. I'm upset Simek didn't even get a game but Kempny, Jerabek and Rutta all played in the NHL this year. Not sure if we have many players left in Europe who will make NHL.

He has too many forwards and is going to get a few more (Hertl would probably come, I think Kase would too, Voracek would come and maybe Domink Simon, I don't think Plekanec would play this year). He's going to have about 20 forwards to pick from.

Personally, I think he should take all the NHL guys and 2 or 3 of the promising new group (Kaut, Zadina, Chytil, Necas) and then pick 4 European Vets and build it like that. I think he'll probably cut NHL guys and go with European vets. I hope I'm wrong.
Last year defense was solid. 4 players in NHL now and two sign contract (Šimek, Šulák). It was shame last year overall, we not always have Voráček and Pastrňák on team. From this year I don't know who can make NHL, I read Pyrochta will sign there, but start in AHL probably. Then Mozík can try again, Galvas in future. We will see. There is also still hope Kempný/Jeřábek/Gudas will come.

I would like to see the forward group you suggest. Lots will depends on how the young guys will be playing in EHT. Like Zadina, who is probably TOP 6 or nothing. From NHL there is also Zacha who might probably come. But it's better to have lots of forwards, then the opposite.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Last year defense was solid. 4 players in NHL now and two sign contract (Šimek, Šulák). It was shame last year overall, we not always have Voráček and Pastrňák on team. From this year I don't know who can make NHL, I read Pyrochta will sign there, but start in AHL probably. Then Mozík can try again, Galvas in future. We will see. There is also still hope Kempný/Jeřábek/Gudas will come.

I would like to see the forward group you suggest. Lots will depends on how the young guys will be playing in EHT. Like Zadina, who is probably TOP 6 or nothing. From NHL there is also Zacha who might probably come. But it's better to have lots of forwards, then the opposite.

I forgot about Sulak... they did a really good job assembling that team. We had Mrazek and Gudas as well. I felt we had a REAL good chance of medalling. But we didn't score in the game that mattered.

Zadina, to me, has to play. Put him on a line with someone like Cervenka and watch him score. Finns did that a few years ago with all their young guys and it worked well for them. Of course, I don't know who you cut if you keep Zadina.

Zacha - doesn't he always have some kind of weird fight with everyone? Or his Dad does? Didn't he say in the World Cup that no one contacted him and then Jandac said it isn't true. I still remember his Dad writing a long post about the U20's as well. This year in New Jersey he said coaches weren't talking to him and the coaches said they had a meeting with him and told him what he needed to work on. Always some drama with Zacha.

Agreed about Galvas... hoping Hronek gets the call if AHL ends in time. Zboril, Masin and Hajek I think will make NHL in next 2 years as well.

Kempny and Jerabek will be without a contract, not sure if they'd come. Would love to see Vrana come though (not sure about his contract).

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
I forgot about Sulak... they did a really good job assembling that team. We had Mrazek and Gudas as well. I felt we had a REAL good chance of medalling. But we didn't score in the game that mattered.

Zadina, to me, has to play. Put him on a line with someone like Cervenka and watch him score. Finns did that a few years ago with all their young guys and it worked well for them. Of course, I don't know who you cut if you keep Zadina.

Zacha - doesn't he always have some kind of weird fight with everyone? Or his Dad does? Didn't he say in the World Cup that no one contacted him and then Jandac said it isn't true. I still remember his Dad writing a long post about the U20's as well. This year in New Jersey he said coaches weren't talking to him and the coaches said they had a meeting with him and told him what he needed to work on. Always some drama with Zacha.

Agreed about Galvas... hoping Hronek gets the call if AHL ends in time. Zboril, Masin and Hajek I think will make NHL in next 2 years as well.

Kempny and Jerabek will be without a contract, not sure if they'd come. Would love to see Vrana come though (not sure about his contract).
It was shame. It was one of our strongest team we could create. We really should work on productivity.

I agree that Červenka with Zadina could work. Maybe something like Červenka - Faksa - Zadina line. We will see what coaches figure out. So far Zadina was with Chytil and Jaškin on practice.

There were some bad communication last year with Zacha. I don't know how it is now, but it will be good if he came and show he care about national team. For now and for future.

I will like to see Hronek too, especially when we have only one right-handed defenseman and that is Mozík on the top of that. But the first possible time he will be free is April 25, which mean he wouldn't be playing on Sweden Games and I don't think they invite him without trying him first.

Kempný came last year without contract, so hopefully he will this year too. He was injured last game though, so it's question if he pass medical. Jeřábek I don't know and Vrána contract is okay.

But thats looking too far of course, Hronek, Zacha and Washington trio still having a chance to win the series.

Last edited:

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
News little out of topic. Josef Jandač will end as head coach after this WHC, he is heading to Metallurg Magnitogorsk in KHL.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
News little out of topic. Josef Jandač will end as head coach after this WHC, he is heading to Metallurg Magnitogorsk in KHL.

When teams don't win it is always easy to start with the coach. I think Jandac has done a fine job. Essentially, if you look at the World Juniors from 2005 (our last medal) to 2015 we produced almost no high end talent (Voracek, Pastrnak, no Top 50 D, Mrazek was looking to be Vezina calibre but currently is not). This is the core of who Jandac has to work with. I think he did a real good job. It was a shame we didn't medal at the Olymics as I thought we had a real good chance there (but our road had Russia and Canada twice) and last year's World's was close to our best possible team at the time and a medal would've been good there too. Still, wish him well. Think he did a good job and please don't hire Hadamczak back to the national team. I'm not happy he is with the U18's either... I feel our Junior programs are starting to do quite well (Silver at U18 a few years ago, medals in 3 of last 4 Hlinka's, some really good players being drafted, World Junior A challenge medal, final 4 of U20 this year for first time since 2005) and I'd prefer we stick with the younger coaches there.

Cervenka - Faksa - Zadina ... boy would I love to see that line. Has a little bit of everything.
I did read an article about how Francouz wants to go to the NHL. I do think he'll sign and have no problem getting a contract. But it'll be a 1 year - two way contract and he'll start in the AHL. It is very hard to get into the NHL, even harder to stay there as the KHL is filled with goalies who couldn't quite make it in the NHL. Obviously, I'd like Francouz to become a starter in the NHL next year but I just don't see it, he has a very hard road ahead of him to do that. Mazanec is a good example.

Reactions: Maluk11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad