WC: 2018 - Team Czech Republic

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Plekanec is now retired from national team... so sad. Something tells me we won't see Krejci again.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I liked Jandac but I hate the Euro Goalie mentality and the 'we don't line match cause we're European' mentality.... Canadian commentators mock the hell out of this on TSN. They just kept pointing out how Larkin and his line were all over our Top line and it worked. We had so many excellent shutdown NHL guys yet all I saw Kane was dancing around guys from the Extraliga and AHL and scoring on a KHLer.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Jandac was saying you can't have 5 defensive players against Kane.. I TOTALLY agree with this... however, we had guys that could've lined up well against Kane that had offence... Gudas/Sulak and Faksa line could've defended and pushed a little. Also, could've put the Krejci line for power vs power. There seems to be no comprimise... we either play everyone or 5 defensive players... we had the players to play against Kane but I don't see them in the replays.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
They deserved to get blown out in the QF. So bad, USA outplayed them every single period.
I am sad because of Plekanec and Krejci. One is retiring, the other might never appear in an international game again.

Also, Cervenka-Faksa was failure of a duo and the coach didn't split them even for a single game. Chytil in his limited ice time showed more than Faksa and Hyka in the whole tournament and yet they got PP time, Chytil did not.

Reactions: Retroglyphs

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
They deserved to get blown out in the QF. So bad, USA outplayed them every single period.
I am sad because of Plekanec and Krejci. One is retiring, the other might never appear in an international game again.

Also, Cervenka-Faksa was failure of a duo and the coach didn't split them even for a single game. Chytil in his limited ice time showed more than Faksa and Hyka in the whole tournament and yet they got PP time, Chytil did not.

I was impressed with Hyka.. his speed was excellent and caused problems. Faksa, who I love, was a bit disapointing... was hoping for more from him. I'm not sure what 'more' looks like though? I'm noticing Cervenka is gettting smashed again.. he was the last of our problems IMO. I thought he played great... I can't believe he didn't score with all those chances but he wasn't on for goals against and was helping. I don't know how many games he's played for the Narodak but he has been awesome and I hope I see him again.

Reactions: Retroglyphs

joey16

Dec 27, 2010

Agreed. The second PP unit was useless against the better teams. Everytime the first PP unit left the ice I knew that the PP is basically over.
Cervenka really didn't have a good tourney at all. I don't mind he was on the roster in the first place but I cannot agree with naming him a captain. He just doesn't have the qualities for this which is no shame, not everyone is a leader. The coaching staff gave it to him just for all the years he's played for the NT I guess but that is not enough for being a captain. I hope this was the last time he was wearing a "C" in a big tourney.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
I was impressed with Hyka.. his speed was excellent and caused problems. Faksa, who I love, was a bit disapointing... was hoping for more from him. I'm not sure what 'more' looks like though? I'm noticing Cervenka is gettting smashed again.. he was the last of our problems IMO. I thought he played great... I can't believe he didn't score with all those chances but he wasn't on for goals against and was helping. I don't know how many games he's played for the Narodak but he has been awesome and I hope I see him again.
Hyka doesn't offer anything but his skating. Chytil was visible in most of his shifts, kid is oozing with skill. Faksa on the other hand...? But I can't blame him, he was unfortunate to be developed in a system that only cared about being defensively responsible. It's no coincidence majority of our NHLers are praised for their play in the defense zone, while their play in the offense zone leaves a lot to be desired.
Cervenka played fine, but he whiffed on golden oppurtunities every game. Sorry, but zero goals is just terrible. As I said, Jandac should have made some line changes. Move Cervenka to the 3rd line with Kubalik, Hyka and have Necas on the 2nd line with Faksa and Repik, for example.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
How did Necas look against USA? Was he overmatched against stronger competition or did he hold his own?
As a winger he was awesome... Him and chytil create chances. Necas is better than I thought and I thought he was awesome. I'd start him at wing in Carolina and move to centre in year two. I do think he will make team... If not.. 9 games then AHL and then back to NHL

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
Team CZE WCH rankings (my opinion):

Super - Sulak, Necas

Very Good - Moravcik, Hronek, Krejci, Jaskin, Kubalik, Repik, Rittich

Good - Sklenicka, Gudas, Krejcik, Pasta, Horak, Plekanec, Chytil, Nestrasil, Hyka

Their standart, just normal effort (not good, not bad) - Jordan, Cervenka, Polasek, Francouz

Bad - Faksa

Last edited:

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
From my view it was a good tourney. We have some hope in Necas (NHL must next season), Chytil and Hronek. Both extraleague Ds surprised me, good work by Spacek.

Overall we dont have players and we have to focus on development in league and junior leagues.

This is not a development tourney. We lost to US cause of tiny mistakes and gaps in quality. Sulak will play for Detroit next year but how many wide shots he had from blue line? Milion. Same goes for Hronek mistakes. Some guys like Repik and Cervenka are simply not on this level. We showed great effort but we have to start doing smth at home and we have to do it fast, otherwise we are done and we will continue like that in every WHC. This means Switzerland level.

What they do with juniors is uncompetnet suicide

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
From my view it was a good tourney. We have some hope in Necas (NHL must next season), Chytil and Hronek. Both extraleague Ds surprised me, good work by Spacek.

Overall we dont have players and we have to focus on development in league and junior leagues.

This is not a development tourney. We lost to US cause of tiny mistakes and gaps in quality. Sulak will play for Detroit next year but how many wide shots he had from blue line? Milion. Same goes for Hronek mistakes. Some guys like Repik and Cervenka are simply not on this level. We showed great effort but we have to start doing smth at home and we have to do it fast, otherwise we are done and we will continue like that in every WHC. This means Switzerland level.

It could be easy - just to narrow the number of teams in the leagues. Especially in the junior league - Extraliga as it is now is quite fine by me but having 18 teams!!! in the junior league is for country like us way too many. I think ten would be perfect. But it will never happen unfortunately - not with the current people in charge at least.
Then of course A-teams should be much more connected with junior teams and start to integrate young promising players as soon as possible - this is actually getting better now but still nowhere near Sweden or Finland for example.
And the thrid thing I would mention is try to really focus on development of defensemen (maybe make some academy specifically for them or something) because this is already a long-term issue which doesn't seem to improve at all. It's been at least 5 years since everyone complaing about the lack of the quality puck moving D's. I even remeber Lener long time ago saying that they need to focus on that because it is a problem and they are aware of it - so many years has passed and nothing. I mean even these days this is still the biggest problem througout the ALL national teams - from U16 to seniors. And with all respect to guys like Moravcik, Sklenicka, Polasek, Jordan - you just cannot expect to win the championship with a defense like this, especially when you look at the rosters of other contenders.

Reactions: Jablkon

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
It could be easy - just to narrow the number of teams in the leagues. Especially in the junior league - Extraliga as it is now is quite fine by me but having 18 teams!!! in the junior league is for country like us way too many. I think ten would be perfect. But it will never happen unfortunately - not with the current people in charge at least.
Then of course A-teams should be much more connected with junior teams and start to integrate young promising players as soon as possible - this is actually getting better now but still nowhere near Sweden or Finland for example.
And the thrid thing I would mention is try to really focus on development of defensemen (maybe make some academy specifically for them or something) because this is already a long-term issue which doesn't seem to improve at all. It's been at least 5 years since everyone complaing about the lack of the quality puck moving D's. I even remeber Lener long time ago saying that they need to focus on that because it is a problem and they are aware of it - so many years has passed and nothing. I mean even these days this is still the biggest problem througout the ALL national teams - from U16 to seniors. And with all respect to guys like Moravcik, Sklenicka, Polasek, Jordan - you just cannot expect to win the championship with a defense like this, especially when you look at the rosters of other contenders.
Well said and this sums it up. Even Spacek’s drill on these two Ds can not cover fact that there is nothing happening on extraleague level and juniors is just disaster ( Budejovice won some title by beating Red Bull in overtime in one game round, which was probably almost their first loss?). They exactly spoke about Ds several years ago and who is the product of this system? I dont see anybody. Academies would be right direction imo.

I would add that if somebody say that extraleague is slow because older guys like it like that, than they should leave that guys forever and start to built competition.

Who was that D from Pilsen who Brno players just flew over in vawes in playoffs? They slowed down entire league because of them? Then its not a competition.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

I agree except for Hronek and Sulak... I'd say 50% either sees NHL next season... 0% they play a full season barring injuries.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
So Switzerland is officialy better than us. 2 medals in last six years. We have zero.
Also. 2 medals in last fifty years.

Amazing run... Good for them but I'd still rather our talent pool over theirs. Except Roman Josi... Get him a Czech passport.lol

Mar 11, 2013
QC
So Switzerland is officialy better than us. 2 medals in last six years. We have zero.
No they're not, they lucked their way to the finals against 2 teams that should've easily won, can't really take best of 1's seriously since anything can happen.

They basically have their best possible roster here minus Hischier and we were still the better team (beat them without Pastrnak/Krejci despite taking 26 PIM). Best on best we easily have the better team, prospect wise we're doing way better as well.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Ok then. It just seemed to me fair to point out this fact.

Anyway I am really pissed about what we doing in Czech. It was said that we can not build centralized academies. But what does this WHC event mean to us? It is basically two months development camp.

The most important part of this team is Spacek who has to step on his head and drill some no name Ds to WHC shape. It unfortunately ussually takes two years to be reliable WHC D. Then they sign contract in NHL and logically can not come back.

Czech league itself does not produce anything. It is slow because we have old guys who need to keep puck longer. We dont want to play Champions league despite all of these people admit modern hockey is played there.

I know I am repeating myself and this is not something new. But I have a feeling they suck, and they suck all.

We think that we always somehow cook smth here with our czech way but trends are passing us by miles. Out mentality is biggest strenghten but when I see US or Finnland its damn hard to win anything and you have to swallow tough pills than it comes. I dont know why we should be exception and we dont produce.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
I mean they dont suck all, but who is succesfull? Liberec, Trinec, Vitkovice and Kometa. First three follow lets say world trends. Kometa is local exception. Then you have small local clubs who should mainly produce players, like Chomutov or Zlin. The rest is pretty meaningless imo.

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
I mean they dont suck all, but who is succesfull? Liberec, Trinec, Vitkovice and Kometa. First three follow lets say world trends. Kometa is local exception. Then you have small local clubs who should mainly produce players, like Chomutov or Zlin. The rest is pretty meaningless imo.
Chomutov (my hometown club) is quite new in Extraleague (in EL since since 2016 ) . And from Chomutov are Kase O., Kampf, Kase D. + add Rutta and Sulak who also are from Chomutov. And their best gem is Jakub Lauko. So I'd say Chomutov is doing well.

If only every czech club was working as Chomutov with young players!

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
Straka brings youngsters up every year in Pilsen and imo they try to play modern offensive hockey every year, but it's been a long time since Škodovka produced a 1st round NHL talent. It's surprisingly difficult for them to find any big sponsors, nobody wants to invest money in hockey in the Pils area.

Sparta should be the club to set the trends and compete at the highest level every year, they have all the needed resources, great facilites and good media PR. Instead they don't seem to have any conception whatsoever, they bring in 'star' players from abroad who are usually old and washed up and when they fail, they throw them all out and start all over again. It's a managment/ownership problem ... Bříza is not the right guy imo.

Still, our Junior leagues are by far the biggest problem. You just can't grow a serious amount of potential star players in an enviroment with such a weak level of competition. Too many teams, too many weak players, to many bad hockey games, the guys with talent don't grow. I know CSLH wants the talented juniors in the WSM liga but that doesn't solve the problem. A quality Junior league system is a cornerstone of a good hockey program. The last U20 players who went to the NHL/AHL right from the Czech enviroment were Hertl/Chytil and hopefully will be Necas and Kaut. I'm really interested how guys like Pytlik or Mysak will turn out, but it's still not enough. The defensemen situation is absolutely terrible and it doesn't look to get better anytime soon, guys like Kral, Zabransky, Galvas are not gonna be 1st/2nd pairing NHL defensemen imo. Hopefully i'm wrong.

Reactions: Czechboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad