WC: 2018 - Team Czech Republic

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The team can really use Pasta and Krejčí's firepower. Would love to see them against Russia but considering they're not flying in until tomorrow, I kinda figure they'll take the time to acclimatise. If they did play they'd likely be wiped anyhow.

Rittich getting the start in goal against Russia tomorrow, allegedly in part because the Russian players don't know him (as Francouz has been in the KHL many years).

So our declared number 1 plays Slovakia and Switzerland while his backup plays Sweden and Russia. Then we compare the numbers and win record and declare Francouz is better because he won 2 games and, at best, Rittich only won one. This is exactly what we did to Mrazek last year. Gave him all the hard starts and then noticed he allowed more goals and made more mistakes while Francouz had shutouts. This is part of the Czech thinking that I never fully understand. This is 2 years in a row of nothing but softer starts for Francouz while declaring him number 1.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
So our declared number 1 plays Slovakia and Switzerland while his backup plays Sweden and Russia. Then we compare the numbers and win record and declare Francouz is better because he won 2 games and, at best, Rittich only won one. This is exactly what we did to Mrazek last year. Gave him all the hard starts and then noticed he allowed more goals and made more mistakes while Francouz had shutouts. This is part of the Czech thinking that I never fully understand. This is 2 years in a row of nothing but softer starts for Francouz while declaring him number 1.

I don't know, the coach also said he liked how Rittich played, but considering Francouz will likely be in net in the post-group phase, it does seem strange not to test him in the harder starts I suppose. I'm not too worked up about it though, Rittich put in a good performance too and I'm confident that the people in charge are not so dumb as to not take into account the difficulty of the opponent when judging them.

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
Exactly my words. Jandac is weird coach.

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
Yeah it seems weird for Francouz to only get to play the weaker teams as they declared him No. 1 before the tournament. Maybe, just maybe they're thinking we might very well end up playing against either Canada or US in QF and they'd put Rittich in since he's used to NHL players more ? But then what would be the point of stating Francouz is the undisputed starter ...

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Yeah it seems weird for Francouz to only get to play the weaker teams as they declared him No. 1 before the tournament. Maybe, just maybe they're thinking we might very well end up playing against either Canada or US in QF and they'd put Rittich in since he's used to NHL players more ? But then what would be the point of stating Francouz is the undisputed starter ...

If that is the case, then don't declare a number 1. For instance, if we had an in prime Hasek... which teams would he have played so far?

I have nothing against Francouz and was fine with him being declared 1. But, if he is our 1, we should've played him against Russia to see how he does. Then compare those results with how Rittich did against Sweden. Rittich should play Friday against Belarus on the back to back game.

Reactions: joey16

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
The team can really use Pasta and Krejčí's firepower. Would love to see them against Russia but considering they're not flying in until tomorrow, I kinda figure they'll take the time to acclimatise. If they did play they'd likely be wiped anyhow.

Rittich getting the start in goal against Russia tomorrow, allegedly in part because the Russian players don't know him (as Francouz has been in the KHL many years).

Seems like they still didn't get to know him all that well since he has around 95% SVS in KHL (back to back). I don't believe much in these kind of stuff. It should not matter who is against you, if you are good enough you will handle it. It's about you, not your opponent.
I totally agree that it is weird that our backup is playing games against Sweden and Russia whereas the starter against Slovakia and Switerzland.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Hrachovina, Krejčí and Pastrňák registered. The team is complete with them. On today pratice Krejčí and Pastrňák in blue jersey, which could mean they won't play today, but it can change.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Also today is Plekanec 100th game in National Team. He could celebrate it with win againts Russia and maybe he will score game winning goal:).

Reactions: Retroglyphs

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
So our declared number 1 plays Slovakia and Switzerland while his backup plays Sweden and Russia. This is 2 years in a row of nothing but softer starts for Francouz while declaring him number 1.
To be honest, this is a pretty usual tactic employed by weaker teams - you start #1 in must-wins and backup in the kind of game you might get 1 point if you get lucky. Just like Latvia resting Merzlikins against Finland, Denmark not playing Andersen against Canada, etc.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Lineup

Rittich

Šulák - Gudas
Moravčík - Hronek
Jordán - Sklenička
Polášek

Jaškin - Krejčí - Pastrňák
Červenka - Faksa - Hyka
Kubalík - Nečas - Řepík
Horák - Plekanec - Nestrašil
Chytil

Hrachovina, Krejčík and Kousal scratched.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
what would strongest possible czech national team look like ?

my take:

Voracek - Krejci - Pastrnak
Palat - Faksa - Hertl
O.Kase - Sobotka - Vrana
Simon - Necas - Nosek

Rutta - Kempny
Jerebek - Gudas
Polak - Sustr

Neuvirth
Rittich

24 others

Jan 30, 2017

my take:

Palat - Faksa - Hertl
O.Kase - Sobotka - Vrana
Simon - Necas - Nosek

Rutta - Kempny
Jerebek - Gudas
Polak - Sustr

Neuvirth
Rittich
The defense is suspect but the offense... Palat-Faksa-Hertl is every coaches' dream of a great two-way line.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
So this is how it look when our Davids arrive in Copenhagen!:clap:Jaškin with goal vs Russia, Plekanec with win in his 100th game, what can you wish more. Very nice game from nice team. Also have to say Moravčík is getting better and better, Rittich with perfect pass on Krejčí goal. Now I can't even imagine how it will look when Krejčí and Pastrňák will be rested enough.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
To be honest, this is a pretty usual tactic employed by weaker teams - you start #1 in must-wins and backup in the kind of game you might get 1 point if you get lucky. Just like Latvia resting Merzlikins against Finland, Denmark not playing Andersen against Canada, etc.

The part that bugs me? We're not a weaker team.... we're not the strongest but we're not Latvia or Denmark (using your examples).

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

my take:

Palat - Faksa - Hertl
O.Kase - Sobotka - Vrana
Simon - Necas - Nosek

Rutta - Kempny
Jerebek - Gudas
Polak - Sustr

Neuvirth
Rittich

Probably really close... I want to see how Francouz does in NHL so I can compare his numbers to the rest. I think you are Swedish... compare our Top 6 D (note: I think it isn't Polak and Sustr but Hronek/Sulak/Simek in that spot but irrelevant) to yours? YIKES... like I said earlier.. the 15th best Swedish Dman would be in our Top 6. Same with Goalies... even with Rittich/Neuvirth/Mrazek/Francouz.. no major difference maker currently.. but we'll see next year as goalies are black magic.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
So this is how it look when our Davids arrive in Copenhagen!:clap:Jaškin with goal vs Russia, Plekanec with win in his 100th game, what can you wish more. Very nice game from nice team. Also have to say Moravčík is getting better and better, Rittich with perfect pass on Krejčí goal. Now I can't even imagine how it will look when Krejčí and Pastrňák will be rested enough.

WOW! So we've played the Top 4 teams in our pool and are 3 wins and 1 loss... fantastic!

I thought Rittich was good... our D is not good... they counter well and work really hard and I am cheering for them but our good opponents keep getting pucks to areas they shouldn't get to. So he is 1-1 against Sweden/Russia with 5 goals... Francouz is 2-0 against Slovakia/Switzerland with 6 goals against. Who is our starter?

I loved the David's but Lines 2 to 4 need to create more offence... something tell's me the David's will have a lot of points next week but this would be a great time for Cervenka/Necas/Plekanec to also get a lot of points.

Need a 3-o run in regulation starting against Belarus (Note: I'm not saying this will be easy or that those nations suck).

Also, Russia... zero goals against in first 3 games.. 4 tonight!

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The part that bugs me? We're not a weaker team.... we're not the strongest but we're not Latvia or Denmark (using your examples).
Well you can look at it any way you want but your direct competition is Switzerland and Slovakia and you didn't win against those in regulation either. No reason to be delusional and see themselves as some great hockey power with this defense - and Jandac clearly is being objective about it. I would go as far as saying that before Pasta's and Krejci's arrival this Czech team was very close to Denmark.

Also seeing how Necas, Chytil and even Pettersson are doing it's just a further evidence WC was no place for Zadina.

Babula

May 31, 2012
the teams are pretty close still anyway and the hype of youngsters seems to be a routine.

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Well you can look at it any way you want but your direct competition is Switzerland and Slovakia and you didn't win against those in regulation either. No reason to be delusional and see themselves as some great hockey power with this defense - and Jandac clearly is being objective about it. I would go as far as saying that before Pasta's and Krejci's arrival this Czech team was very close to Denmark.

Also seeing how Necas, Chytil and even Pettersson are doing it's just a further evidence WC was no place for Zadina.

Martin Necas has been a pivotal point (and a gamechanger) in Czech Republic's offense vs. SVK and SUI, two strong opponents in the group, while Elias Pettersson did what? A yes, he scored a PPG vs. France in the 56.minute , when the game had already been decided! :sarcasm: There goes your lopsided example.

Reactions: maclean and Vagrant

Pieck

Dec 13, 2017
BC

Why is Russia not considered to be their direct competition? Or even Sweden?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad