NHL Entry Draft 2018 Tank Thread | Why Not Us? Why Not Now? | Sens Finish 30th, TOP 5 PICK GUARANTEED

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I'd probably be more into this if it didn't mean Karlsson leaving.

Priority should be creating an environment for the rest of the year where he can have some fun and personal success (even without the playoffs), so he can see a light at the end of the tunnel. Then, you sell him, Stone and Duchene on a future with Dahlin/Svechnikov/Boqvist or whoever else we get with a top 5 pick, Chabot, Brown, White and any pieces we pick up from trades.

That means firing Boucher ASAP and playing a more offensive, player friendly system. Even if we go .500 the rest of the year, or slightly over .500, we'll be a bottom 5 team. We're in a heck of a hole at this point, so I'm not worried about finishing outside the bottom 10.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Isn't 29 games in a little early for this? I know even the tsn 1200 has become a bit glum of late, but 29 games played is still a hair early for the tank. Specially with the past Hamburglar runs.

If we finish off the year with a record of 30-20-3, we still probably don't make the playoffs. What are the odds this team turns it around that much?

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
PxP announcer: this clock isn't moving fast enough for Ottawa and its fans.

Me: this clock is moving too fast.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
The road to 9th starts tonight.

Thats not worst case scenario because this team would have to go on a hell of a run to draft 14th that run would probably convince Duchene and Erik to stay, my fear is the go on a decent run and get the 9th or 10th overall and somehow get knocked to 11th because of the draft lottery.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Thats not worst case scenario because this team would have to go on a hell of a run to draft 14th that run would probably convince Duchene and Erik to stay, my fear is the go on a decent run and get the 9th or 10th overall and somehow get knocked to 11th because of the draft lottery.

I think I would rather get knocked from 9th to 11th and lose this years pick, than draft 9th and not have next years pick. If we keep this year's then next year's is not protected and we could end up with a 9th and losing a top 5 pick. I would much prefer to lose an 11th and have the next pick be whatever it is than lose a top 5 pick in 2019 because we picked 9th in 2018.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I think I would rather get knocked from 9th to 11th and lose this years pick, than draft 9th and not have next years pick. If we keep this year's then next year's is not protected and we could end up with a 9th and losing a top 5 pick. I would much prefer to lose an 11th and have the next pick be whatever it is than lose a top 5 pick in 2019 because we picked 9th in 2018.

Honestly i just think this is a down year think the team will be in the 10 - 20 area next year, this draft also has a better top 5 from my limited knowledge.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
This sens team isn't nearly as bad as November and December have made them look. I'd be surprised if they finish in the bottom 10, never mind the bottom 5. As much as I'd love that if they aren't going to make the playoffs. Which they probably wont.

They're going to get it together and string some wins together sooner or later, I just don't expect it to be enough.

People expecting a top 5 pick are going to be let down big time.

Last edited:

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
This sens team isn't nearly as bad as November and December have made them look. I'd be surprised if they finish in the bottom 10, never mind the bottom 5. As much as I'd love that if they aren't going to make the playoffs. Which they probably wont.

They're going to get it together and string some wins together sooner or later, I just don't expect it to be enough.

People expecting a top 5 pick are going to be let down big time.

The worst case scenario with our situation is to finish just outside of the playoffs, the '18 pick goes to the Avs, and then they just miss or make the playoffs next season and get a middle/late first round pick. This team really needs a top draft pick with major upside.

Reactions: Mika Hoffmanijad

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
The worst case scenario with our situation is to finish just outside of the playoffs, the '18 pick goes to the Avs, and then they just miss or make the playoffs next season and get a middle/late first round pick. This team really needs a top draft pick with major upside.
If the Sens haven't gone on a moajor run to put themselves back in the playoff hunt by late Feb they will be selling assets and stockpiling picks.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
So if we get the first overall, do we draft Dahlin and trade Chabot for a potential first line C?

Maybe Chabot for Nylander?

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
If the sens do land #1 im totally fine with moving it for #2 + 2nd/A Prospect. it addresses a team need more. Svechnikov is the dream. He can be our first 40 goal scorer since Heatley.

You should still take the BPA. There are other ways to get forwards. LHS wingers are the least important players in the league. RHD are the most important.

Basically:
RHD
LHD
shot handedness is irrelevant for centers.
RHS winger
LHS winger

Is the order of importance.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
You should still take the BPA. There are other ways to get forwards. LHS wingers are the least important players in the league. RHD are the most important.

Basically:
RHD
LHD
shot handedness is irrelevant for centers.
RHS winger
LHS winger

Is the order of importance.

Of course I'm specifically talking about BPA in terms of pure skill and ability. Svechnikov is better than Boqvist, however Dahlin regardless of position is way better than the rest and the fact he plays the 2nd most important position in hockey is a massive bonus.

Reactions: Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad