Series Discussion: 2018 Stanley Cup Final: Washington Capitals vs Vegas Golden Knights

Who wins?

• Total voters

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
To the bolded:

Come on man. Maybe they have a chance? This isn’t the first round we are talking. Caps just blew through 2 amazing teams (and CBus was no wallflower). Caps have a TERRIFIC chance to bring a championship to DC.

I know you’ve doubted them this entire time, I get it. But it’s time to see them for what they are.
Don't get me wrong. They're very good. My point there was less that their overall chances are that bleak but that the task at hand will be more difficult in terms of speed and work ethic. It is the best team they've had in terms of discipline, structure and opportunism and it will have to continue in that vein. Vegas is also likely the best team they'll face and that's how it should be. They're tenacious and getting fantastic goaltending. They dispatched Winnipeg without much difficulty and impressively so for a team with that many weapons up front. WPG was quite arguably a deeper team than anyone the Caps have faced, certainly more loaded in their top six (even more loaded than the Caps IMO, although they lack some experience with Ehlers/Laine). They're going to be the toughest test yet and should be treated as such given their speed and work ethic. What this team has accomplished in the past two rounds should give them confidence but it'll need to be proven all over again. I'm thrilled to see it. It's a fantastic opportunity. Vegas aren't the '98 Wings with a wealth of championship experience and the Caps are better, deeper and more potent offensively than that '98 team but I think it's fair to say these are indeed the two best playoff teams[.

Pittsburgh was in part injured up front and the Caps shut them down outside of the Crosby line. Tampa Bay is on the softer side all-around and, again, the Caps shut them down. Maybe they can accomplish the same thing once again. I wouldn't put it past them, particularly if Holtby carries over his play. But Vegas gave the Caps fits in their two regular season meetings with their work ethic, speed and cohesion/hockey IQ. I think the Caps have figured out how to slow teams down and trust/execute their structure but it's again imperative early on to set that tone and keep the game buttoned up to their liking. These are the two most dangerous teams in transition in the playoffs so, like I said, their structure will need to be even better. They'll need to continue to be on the right side of pucks and not turning them over. The main thing is that I'd be surprised if Vegas quit like PIT & TBL did. We'll see. Those teams were very skilled and the Caps deserve all kinds of credit for that frustration level building up for them but Vegas seems to have a similar relentlessness. Early on I'll be looking for the Caps defense exiting more cleanly on whole. The second and third pairs will likely need to do a better job of it if the Caps are going to fast enough.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Vegas is a good team. Fluery is a hell of a goalie

However, I feel like Vegas played an easy west coast conference, similar to how Tampa got to the ECF.

But maybe I am just being bias. The east had WAY better teams than the west this year

I agree.

I won't take anything away from Vegas, they are a good team obviously. Watch the highlights from their games on nhl.com, they can score but look at how poor the other teams played defensively or the poor goal-tending.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
To the bolded:

Come on man. Maybe they have a chance? This isn’t the first round we are talking. Caps just blew through 2 amazing teams (and CBus was no wallflower). Caps have a TERRIFIC chance to bring a championship to DC.

I know you’ve doubted them this entire time, I get it. But it’s time to see them for what they are.

It is our time. I just know it. I can't explain why and I almost sent a message to @txpd before the playoffs started so I had someone to call me on my bullshit but I have just had this feeling since before the playoffs that this is the right team at the right time. Ovechkin will not be denied.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Ovi was hungry this year. All year. It was easy to see, and we hadn't seen that same hunger in recent years. I have theorized he is doing it for Trotz, because he likes Trotz.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
We have had a MUCH tougher road to the finals than Vegas. Both teams will be rested, so that should not be an issue.

We are better offensively and defensively. Goaltending is a wash right now. Winnipeg was a much scarier team due to their explosiveness.

I like the Caps in 5. Picked the Caps in 6 so they can skate the Cup at home.

P.S. Penguins board is very salty. Would love to give them one last d—k punch. Wilson and Oleksiak can settle their score when we raise the banner next year.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Long, long time Caps fan here (die hard Wild fan). I almost cried man tears last night seeing Ovechkin's elation at the end of the game and post game last night. I have wanted this for him, including hopefully a Cup win, for so long ESPECIALLY since he and Crosby traded Hatty's back in 2009-10 (year?).

I AM HAPPY FOR YOU CAPS FANS AND I HOPE TO SEE OVECHKIN, BACKS, AND CO. RAISE THAT CUP!

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
No info yet. I usually get an email about the STH presale and that starts maybe a day before public sale. No email yet.

General tickets will go on sale tomorrow. There will be about 1000 and they should last 5-10 minutes. Start looking at 10, they won't announce the time.

Expect around $400 for a nosebleed seat.

ETA: as a hostile visitor to your forum, let me say that if the Caps win, I won't be entirely unhappy, and I'm not alone here in Las Vegas.

Edit again: Actually, they did say. Tix go on sale at 10 AM tomorrow.

Edit yet again. Shoot Once bluline nosebleed is $410 for discounted partial STH. Expect closer to $500 or more.

Last edited:

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
I was watching the post game interviews and backstroms right hand is disgusting. His index finger is so swollen and discolored I have no idea how he is playing.

Reactions: ovikovy817

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->