WJC: 2018 Slovakia Roster Talk

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Slovakia has a pretty good 99 age group too based on their last years u-18 wjc results also Czechs seem to have good young talent. Curious what would a team Czechoslovakia look like?

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
Slovakia has a pretty good 99 age group too based on their last years u-18 wjc results also Czechs seem to have good young talent. Curious what would a team Czechoslovakia look like?
I was thinking about it and came up with something like:

Chytil - Necas - Kaut
Zadina - Ruzicka - Safin
Lauko - Roman - Liska
Kvasnica - Hrabik - Krivosik

Galvas - Bukac
Fehervary - Kral
Salda - Kvasnicka
Ivan

Dont take these defensemen pairings too serious
:D

Last edited:

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Studenic, Liska and Roman all seem to be in shape. Ruzicka has started appearing on the scoring sheet again. This team could potentially be interesting to watch.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
As per the interview at the federation website with Bokros there won't be a No.1 going into the tourney, they will start two goalies in the first games. Probably Durny and Hrenak and Kostelny as the 3rd goalie.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Al right, should be interesting. For a few years it seemed like Slovakia typically sent 'older' teams to this tournament. Then came last year, when they had talent but were too young. Looking forward to seeing guys like Ruzicka, Fehervary, Studenic and Roman being a year older. Same with Bodak, who I think might get drafted in the later rounds this summer despite being overlooked before. Bucek was also overlooked but had an injury plagued season. Curious to watch him play as he was unable to participate in the tournament last year.

I grew up watching Slovakia having a very competitive national team. With some of these decent looking prospects arriving in the last few years, I'm hoping you're about to turn the corner. So naturally I'm gonna root for you guys in this tournament :yo:

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Yeah, it would be nice to see us fielding a competitive men's NT again, but only time will tell how this generation of players will develop.

I mean Marincin and Jurco are in the AHL and right now the prospect of an NHL future for them doesn't look that bright. Dano isn't playing in Winnipeg. Hopefully Cehlarik and Jaros can establish themselves as NHLers in the next two years, but Cehlarik seems to struggle a lot with injuries, so I worry a bit about that.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Yeah, it would be nice to see us fielding a competitive men's NT again, but only time will tell how this generation of players will develop.

I mean Marincin and Jurco are in the AHL and right now the prospect of an NHL future for them doesn't look that bright. Dano isn't playing in Winnipeg. Hopefully Cehlarik and Jaros can establish themselves as NHLers in the next two years, but Cehlarik seems to struggle a lot with injuries, so I worry a bit about that.

Yeah, unfortunately quite many Slovak players seem to have an NHL career ahead of them until they fall at the doorstep.

I live 40 minutes from Lulea so I've been able to follow both Christian Jaros and Peter Cehlarik quite well over the years. I think Jaros has top 4 potential, and I feel very confident that he'll be a top 6 guy. He's always reminded me of Luca Sbisa, but with better hockey sense.

When Cehlarik first came up with Lulea I thought he'd be a potential 1st round pick. He didn't develop in the SHL as many thought he would, so I'm a bit surprised he's handled himself in North America so far. It feels like he's on the right track of making the NHL again, though his injuries are indeed worrysome.

Erik Cernak seems to be doing well so far in the AHL too. I'm not a fan of +/- but it's probably a good sign when he's +12 which is tied for best in Syracuse. On average their players seem to be somewhere around +5. He should have third pairing upside.

Adam Ruzicka was highly touted midway through last season, but fell far when the it was time for the draft. But it seems like he's doing pretty well in the OHL so far this year. Looks like Marian Studenic is also heading in the right direction in the OHL. He's close to a PPG and his coach talked very positively about him during a recent podcast with The Hockeynews. Said something in the lines of "you can put him anywhere in the lineup and he makes everyone around him better".

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Yeah, Cernak is doing quite well for a guy who has graduated from juniors, but I think that it's partly because he's not new to men's hockey as he played a full season+ back in Slovakia.

Regarding Ruzicka one thing that worries me is the question how much of his stats come from playing with Kyrou? I think the dull few games that he had recently were for games where he didn't play with him, I think. Studenic supposedly had a great NHL camp at the beginning of the season, but then had a slow start to the OHL season and has now recovered. Liska seems to have adjusted to the OHL lately as well and is the most likely Slovak candidate for the 2018 draft after Fehervary and Roman.

I have a feeling that Fehervary and Roman could be the ones who will get a good shot at the NHL. Romand is an all around player at an early age, so chances are that he won't ever be a star player but he can also be used in a variety of roles and Fehervary has captained the Slovak u18 team and now even an Allsvenskan team for a bit, so there should be something character wise there.

Of course as we are talking the prospects game, I might be completely wrong. Only time will tell.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
From SZLH Page:

Na turnaji v Monthey ste využili Mateja Galbavého, ktorý hrá vo Švédsku, ale na prvú časť kempu, kam mali prísť hráči z Európy, nebol nominovaný. Môžete povedať prečo?
Matej Galbavý sa sám rozhodol, že nenastúpi do záverečného kempu. Neveril si, že sa dostane záverečnej nominácie a nechcel tráviť s nami mesiac v príprave, pretože dostal ponuku do A-mužstva Mory a uprednostnil skôr šancu zahrať si v mužskom hokeji než za náš tím na majstrovstvách sveta.

Short translate: Galbavy decided, he dont want to attend pre-WJC camp. He doesnt believe, he has nay chance to crack the roster and it would be beter for him, to play for senior team of Mora IK.

Pretty strange. Im mean, if he really said that.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Strange indeed. As an 18 year old he played seven games on of the best teams in Allsvenskan, and now he's debuted in the SHL after recently turning 19. Sounds like he could've been close to a lock for the Slovak WHJC team.

If I had to guess, maybe he's hoping to get picked in the draft and is thinking he'll get better exposure playing in the SHL. But of course he can't say this. Undrafted 19 year olds don't tend to get much recognition at the world juniors.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
The interview with Bokros also includes Bokros saying that we can't have just offensive players and comments how the fans/media see a player gets 15 points in NA juniors and we think how in shape the player is while Bokros' scouts tell him that the player is one average/underaverage player and how the top countries players have 50 points.

I think this could be directed at Hrehorcak and also it's Bokros' attempt to explain omission of Valach and Lacka.

So Galbavy's line of thinking might have been: Ok, so there are 6 spots for offensive players, there are 4 returnees from last year (counting Bucek who missed WJC due to injury last year), then there are the offensive guys from the u20 team like Cacho and Tamasi, so that's 6 players that could get the nod before him due to experience/playing more under Bokros. For bottom 6 Bokros is also likely to prefer the u20 team players. So Galbavy could come to the European camp that started last week, even make it to the NA camp and get cut from the team right before the WJC not getting to play at the actual tournament. At the same time he would lose several weeks of time which he now has for fighting for a SHL spot which is more important for his further career/development than the WJC.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Devils fan here. Studenic did indeed have a good rookie camp, and we were disappointed to seen him start slow in the OHL after that camp.

He has absolutely turned it on lately and is on a torrid scoring pace so we are really looking forward to seeing him play for Slovakia in this tournament.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Goalies
Roman DurnýP28. 05. 1998MHk 32 Liptovský Mikuláš
Dávid HrenákĽ05. 05. 1998St. Cloud State University (NCAA/USA)
Jakub KostelnýP21. 05. 1999HK DUKLA Trenčín
D-men
Martin BodákP28. 11. 1998Kootenay Ice (WHL/Kan.)
Martin FehérváryĽ06. 10. 1999Oskarshamn IK (Švéd.)
Samuel FeretaĽ29. 12. 1998HC SLOVAN Bratislava
Tomáš HederaĽ07. 11. 1998HC SLOVAN Bratislava
Michal IvanĽ18. 11. 1999Acadie-Bathurst Titan (QMJHL/Kan.)
Marek KorenčikĽ19. 07. 1999Lulea HF (Švéd.)
Dušan KmecĽ15. 05. 1998Philadelphia Rebels (NAHL/USA)
Andrej LeškoP01. 12. 1998HC Bíli Tygři Liberec (ČR)
Dávid MatejovičĽ21. 08. 1998MMHK Nitra
Vojtech ZeleňákĽ12. 06. 1998HC Sparta Praha (ČR)
Forwards
Samuel BučekP19. 12. 1998Chicago Steel (USHL/USA)
Viliam ČachoĽ14. 10. 1998HK DUKLA Trenčín
Niki JaškoĽ05. 09. 1998HC SLOVAN Bratislava
Miloš KelemenĽ27. 03. 1999HKM Zvolen
Filip KrivošíkP27. 03. 1999LeKi Hockey (Fín.)
Peter KundrikĽ03. 12. 1998HK ŠKP Poprad
Adam LiškaĽ14. 10. 1999Kitchener Rangers (OHL/Kan.)
Patrik MarcinekĽ04. 10. 1998HKM Zvolen
Miloš RomanĽ06. 11. 1999Vancouver Giants (OHL/Kan.)
Adam RužičkaĽ11. 05. 1999Sarnia Sting (OHL/Kan.)
Erik SmolkaĽ14. 11. 1998HK DUKLA Trenčín
Samuel SolenskýĽ25. 08. 1998Johnstown Tomahawks (NAHL/USA)
Marián StudeničĽ28. 10. 1998Hamilton Bulldogs (OHL/Kan.)
Alex TamášiĽ25. 03. 1998HC'05 Banská Bystrica
Vladimír VybiralĽ29. 12. 1998MHk 32 Liptovský Mikuláš
Substitutes
MenoPostĽ/PDátum nar.Klub
Samuel HlavajBĽ29. 05. 2001MHA Martin
Ján KožiakBĽ06. 02. 1998HC SLOVAN Bratislava/HC Bratislava
Juraj OvečkaBĽ01. 05. 1999Springfield Jr. Blues (NAHL/USA)
Martin DlapkaOĽ09. 04. 1998HC'05 Banská Bystrica
Dávid HílekOĽ13. 03. 1998MMHK Skalica
Martin KrempaskýOP09. 04. 1998HK ŠKP Poprad
Michal PupákOP15. 12. 1999MMHK Nitra/HC Nové Zámky
Erik RajnohaOĽ01. 08. 1998Södertälje SK (Švéd.)
Adam ŽiakOĽ22. 07. 1999TuTo Hockey (Fín.)
Peter BjalončíkÚĽ29. 07. 1999HK ŠKP Poprad
Patrik HrehorčákÚĽ18. 03. 1999Rouyn-Noranda Huskies (QMJHL/Kan.)
Jakub LackaÚP20. 11. 1998Central Illinois Flying Aces (USHL/USA)
Radoslav MesarošÚP04. 07. 1998HK Mládež Michalovce
Mário MúčkaÚP10. 11. 1998MMHK Nitra/HC Nové Zámky
Sebastian ŠmídaÚP28. 11. 1998MMHK Skalica
Rastislav VáclavÚP02. 02. 1998HK ŠKP Poprad
Filip VašašÚP07. 05. 1998HK ŠKP Poprad
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[THEAD] [/THEAD]