2018 qmjhl draft

Ovechkin962

Aug 25, 2010

J Campion

Dec 5, 2016
I have seen a lot of Bantam AAA this season and we are working on a list for top 2002-born players at hockeyprospect.com

What I can tell you right off the bat is watch out for Magog next season. Triolet Bantam AAA have basically won everything possible this year, and they have 4 elite players on their roster: forwards Patrick Guay, Charles Beaudoin and Marshall Lessard as well as defenseman William Villeneuve. I see Guay and Beaudoin as being the best players in Bantam AAA this season.

A goalie to watch out for is Antoine Coulombe from Pointe-Levy, he has been absolutely stellar when I've seen him, has great technique and great size already, I would be surprised if he didn't make Midget AAA next year. He is right up there with Guay and Beaudoin, although goalies are a bit harder to predict especially at only 14.

It's my first year doing actual real scouting so I cannot really compare with Bantam players from the past, but it seems to me like there is a lot of skilled players and a lot of depth too amongst 2002 players. What I can say though is I've certainly enjoyed watching these guys play this season, and those who are saying Hockey Quebec is doing a poor job and there is no good players coming up will certainly be surprised at the crop of 2002 players.

Last edited:

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
I have seen a lot of Bantam AAA this season and we are working on a list for top 2002-born players at hockeyprospect.com

What I can tell you right off the bat is watch out for Magog next season. Triolet Bantam AAA have basically won everything possible this year, and they have 4 elite players on their roster: forwards Patrick Guay, Charles Beaudoin and Marshall Lessard as well as defenseman William Villeneuve. I see Guay and Beaudoin as being the best players in Bantam AAA this season. Furthermore, forward Mavrick Bourque from Cascades Elites is also a top-10 prospect in my opinion, and belongs to Magog.

A goalie to watch out for is Antoine Coulombe from Pointe-Levy, he has been absolutely stellar when I've seen him, has great technique and great size already, I would be surprised if he didn't make Midget AAA next year. He is right up there with Guay and Beaudoin, although goalies are a bit harder to predict especially at only 14.

It's my first year doing actual real scouting so I cannot really compare with Bantam players from the past, but it seems to me like there is a lot of skilled players and a lot of depth too amongst 2002 players. What I can say though is I've certainly enjoyed watching these guys play this season, and those who are saying Hockey Quebec is doing a poor job and there is no good players coming up will certainly be surprised at the crop of 2002 players.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Also been told the 2002 group looked pretty good. When do you expect the 2002 list to be ready (I am a subscriber)?

J Campion

Dec 5, 2016
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Also been told the 2002 group looked pretty good. When do you expect the 2002 list to be ready (I am a subscriber)?

I would guess early May. I am going to spend some time next week at the Dodge Cup watching some Bantam and Midget Espoir games. Then we'll work on the final rankings.

There are also five 2002 players playing Midget AAA right now who will be included.

Firecracker

Jul 3, 2015
Thomas Bordeleau is playing at the USHL combine right now does anyone know if he is seriously considering the USHL? How does he play? Did his success this year come off of Poulin and Parent?

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Thomas Bordeleau is playing at the USHL combine right now does anyone know if he is seriously considering the USHL? How does he play? Did his success this year come off of Poulin and Parent?

Not sure how serious he is about USHL, but from what I watched I don't think he played with either Poulin or Parent.

He's not eligible for the Q draft until next year, so it's gonna be hard to tell for another year. I'm sure he's already talked to teams tho.

J Campion

Dec 5, 2016
how would you rank the 2018 draft class compared to this years in terms of quality and top notch prospects?

Would be hard for me to compare both draft class, since I didn't watch Midget AAA. I focused mainly on Bantam AAA and some Midget Espoir and LHPS. I obviously know a bit about Lafreniere, Poulin, Parent and co. and have heard that the 2017 draft looks pretty extraordinary, so I think it would be hard for the 2018 draft class to be just as good.

It's also hard to predict how the top Bantam guys will adjust to playing against older kids in Midget AAA. For example, Patrick Guay has great hockey sense and playmaking ability, but he is only 5'6 and not the best skater. What if he stays at 5'6 and his skating doesn't improve enough? It could prove difficult for him to dominate the next level. On the other hand, no one predicted Lafreniere to dominate this much straight out of Bantam, and guys like Parent and Simoneau were ranked much higher than him.

This weekend are the Spring pre-camps for Midget AAA, so already an occasion to see how those Bantam kids fare in a different environment. I'm looking forward to it.

My best guess is that the 2018 draft won't be as great as 2017. With rumours of Bordeleau going to the States, it would be also weaken the 2018 draft a bit.

D to D

Aug 21, 2013
The list seems fairly accurate to me. Understood it is subjective... Maybe a bit surprised to see the Goalie from Laval not on there. Thanks

Last edited:

J Campion

Dec 5, 2016
The list seems fairly accurate to me. Understood it is subjective... Maybe a bit surprised to see the Goalie from Laval not on there. Thanks

Thanks. How would your list look like?

Are you speaking of Lapenna or Bergeron? I thought Lapenna looked pretty good when I saw him, but not quite enough to be on the top-50. Good potential though. Bergeron was alright.

Have to remember that anytime you go to the rink, the goalie you wanna see may be sitting on the bench as the backup, so for goalies its always harder. What if he has a bad game? If you see a team only 3-4 times on the year, its possible that their best goalie you only see once. Hard to make an accurate evaluation.

I know one guy has Bucheler fairly high, but I never got to see him live. There is only that one Jeux du Québec game that they put on YouTube. So there's no way for me to rank him.

D to D

Aug 21, 2013
Yes Lapenna. My son plays against him (and with him) regularly as we are apart of the same MAAA structure from Montreal and get to see him a lot... He is a solid competitor with good potential agreed. Bucheler looks good as well. There will be a few more Lions on your list next year I suspect. Solid group of 2003's.
Thanks

AlBundy

Jun 9, 2015
The 2003 Lions are decent but their 2004s are even better (Swan, Lastarza, Vidicek, Rozzi, Vetrano, Hryckowian, etc.) both their PeeWee teams were dominant this year.

Campion, with most of the Lions electing to go the US college route, do you factor this in your ranking for the Q draft ? thanks

J Campion

Dec 5, 2016
The 2003 Lions are decent but their 2004s are even better (Swan, Lastarza, Vidicek, Rozzi, Vetrano, Hryckowian, etc.) both their PeeWee teams were dominant this year.

Campion, with most of the Lions electing to go the US college route, do you factor this in your ranking for the Q draft ? thanks

No we don't, as there is no way to be sure of this. We simply evaluate the talent and rank them.

I have not seen the 2004, but I know for 2003, Charles-Alexis Legault, Dovar Tinling and James Malatesta have impressed me a lot. I could see them becoming 1st round talent for the QMHL draft down the road, if they choose to go that route.

Last edited:

AlBundy

Jun 9, 2015
I like Orr, Cachero and Gentile as much as those three although the latter two aren't as strong physically - but that can change (they are 13-14)

Overall, how do you compare the 2002 crop to the 2003s ?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

Interesting , don't see a single Quebecois name there.

J Campion

Dec 5, 2016
I like Orr, Cachero and Gentile as much as those three although the latter two aren't as strong physically - but that can change (they are 13-14)

Overall, how do you compare the 2002 crop to the 2003s ?

Gentile was my #1 early in the season, but from what I have seen later in the year, he didnt improve much. A bit of a letdown for me. Definitely has a lot of skills though. Quick skater and goal-scoring abilities. Orr and Cachero are up there as well. As you said size is not on their side so far. But other smallish 2003s like Zachary L'Heureux and Joshua Roy have showed more.

Hard to compare both year class. Huge jump from one year to the next at that age.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Zach L'Heureux is similar to Toews, does everything. His attitude is unreal, tell him to work harder and he responds ok, and does it. Never seen a kid like that, he wants it.

The U-14 tourney in Brossard will showcase the talent, Magog, Levis, Lac.St.Louis will be the favourites, Chateauguy has a really nice offense, Laurentides Vikings all around good, will be a great tourney.

J Campion

Dec 5, 2016
Zach L'Heureux is similar to Toews, does everything. His attitude is unreal, tell him to work harder and he responds ok, and does it. Never seen a kid like that, he wants it.

The U-14 tourney in Brossard will showcase the talent, Magog, Levis, Lac.St.Louis will be the favourites, Chateauguy has a really nice offense, Laurentides Vikings all around good, will be a great tourney.

I had L'Heureux very high since early in the year, and he has never stopped to impress me. He has improved a lot during the year too. He also did well at the Midget AAA pre-camps last week-end. You can bet this kid has a good chance of sticking with the Grenadiers Midget AAA next year as a 14 years old.

AlBundy

Jun 9, 2015
I don't know if it's the best thing for his development but L'heureux can play Midget AAA next year for sure.

The other forwards who are clearly ready are Tristan Roy from Drumondville and Israel Mianscum from Abitibi - two big kids with tons of skills. James Malatesta was amazing at the Dodge cup, he seems ready to make the jump too - not as big as the other two but very strong and likely the best shot in the age group.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
I had L'Heureux very high since early in the year, and he has never stopped to impress me. He has improved a lot during the year too. He also did well at the Midget AAA pre-camps last week-end. You can bet this kid has a good chance of sticking with the Grenadiers Midget AAA next year as a 14 years old.
He will stick, everything ive heard is that he will.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
I don't know if it's the best thing for his development but L'heureux can play Midget AAA next year for sure.

The other forwards who are clearly ready are Tristan Roy from Drumondville and Israel Mianscum from Abitibi - two big kids with tons of skills. James Malatesta was amazing at the Dodge cup, he seems ready to make the jump too - not as big as the other two but very strong and likely the best shot in the age group.
Malatesta is a natural scorer, he lacks a bit of hockey sense I find, in terms of picking his spots to shoot.

Strong like a bull, and has a rocket.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->