2018 Pyeongchang Winter Games | General Discussion

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Too soon?

Nevermind the NHL not going, the winter games are one of my favorite sports events of all time. Hockey definitely adds to it and I'm disappointed the NHL isn't going, but that's beside the point and you can find a pages-long main boards thread about it if you wish.

I think the only sport I don't enjoy watching to some degree at the winter games is the figure skating. It's impressive from a technical standpoint and interesting if you take it as a performance art, but it's weird to think of it as a sport. That's another slight digression, though.

I think my favorite sports (other than hockey) to watch are ski jumping and the sled track sports (skeleton, luge, bobsleigh). Especially the skeleton. That sport is just objectively badass. Luge seems a bit less frightening.

Anyway, I kind of lost my train of thought, just wanted to get the conversation started if it's not too early. Is anyone else as hyped for the winter games as I am?

Oct 18, 2006
Absolutely beyond pumped! While it sucks than NHL'ers aren't in the ice-hockey, it will add a different element to the tournament.

I'm especially excited for my favourite events; biathlon and cr0ss-country skiing. I want to see whether Martin Fourcase and Johannes Klaebo can continue their domination. The Frenchman has been the best in the world for over half a decade, whereas Klaebo is the new budding superstar of cross country.

Not long now!!

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I’m excited! I prefer the “secondary” sports in the Winter Olympics over the Summer so I’ll be taking it all in in a week or two. The hockey thing sucks but I’ll probably put it on anyway to see what it’s like

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Don't enjoy the Winter Olympics anywhere near as much as the Summer Games but it's always a special time for fans of sport.

Never been huge on hockey during the games so the absence of NHL players doesn't bother me but looking forward to the skiing/short & long track skating events as always.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Don't enjoy the Winter Olympics anywhere near as much as the Summer Games but it's always a special time for fans of sport.

Never been huge on hockey during the games so the absence of NHL players doesn't bother me but looking forward to the skiing/short & long track skating events as always.
Really? see, i'm the exact opposite. I like the winter olympic sports way more than the summer stuff. I find a lot of the summer events boring.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Really? see, i'm the exact opposite. I like the winter olympic sports way more than the summer stuff. I find a lot of the summer events boring.
It pretty much comes down to the fact that with the Summer games Tennis, Swimming, Track & Field, Gymnastics, Rowing, Equestrian, Soccer, Boxing and a few others are all sports that I have a keen interest in. Simply not as much in the Winter Games that holds my attention.

Plus the fact that the Summer Olympics are a truly International event while the Winter Olympics are composed of a handful of nations that have a chance to compete/challenge for medals I guess.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

i find that it's SO much easier to follow the winter sports, and you can see everything. even with the time difference, i don't expect that I'll miss much of what I truly wanna see (Speedskating ie: Does Netherlands dominate all the gold again, shorttrack will be nuts because Korea v. China in almost every event makes it must see teevee, Figure Skating generally,, and then all the bizarro sports. ie: Biathlon)

Reactions: SniperHF

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I remember doing them with you! Do you mind if I reuse your template?

OLYMPICS! yaaaaayy!
if you send me your template, I don't mind doing them when it's quiet here at work

soo excited!

Yeah, no problem.

Actually, give me 3 or 4 hours and I'll (edit) post a template thread so it's easier for you guys to follow the template for the others when I get home from work.

I'll keep it pretty basic and similar to Rio 2016.

Last edited:
Reactions: SniperHF

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Test post. Don't mind me.

edit - all the images will be hotlinked to the corresponding Olympic pages. Took me a bit longer than I imagined. It's tedious making transparent text bars in PS lol.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2002
Olympics: Pyeongchang ready to battle cold snap, norovirus - Lee

1,200 private security staff have been sidelined as fear of a norovirus among some of them has forced organizers to replace them with military personnel pending medical tests.

The virus is highly contagious and causes vomiting and stomach cramps among other symptoms.

Athletes from several countries were taken ill and some were forced to miss competitions at last year’s world athletics championship in London when the virus was found to have spread through one hotel.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Olympics: Pyeongchang ready to battle cold snap, norovirus - Lee

1,200 private security staff have been sidelined as fear of a norovirus among some of them has forced organizers to replace them with military personnel pending medical tests.

The virus is highly contagious and causes vomiting and stomach cramps among other symptoms.

Athletes from several countries were taken ill and some were forced to miss competitions at last year’s world athletics championship in London when the virus was found to have spread through one hotel.

Here come all the horror stories. It seemed like the host city was fully ready and this is a case of unfortunate timing. I hope these Olympics go well.

King 88

Mar 5, 2010
Why did 28 Russians get their life time ban lifted from the Olympics? Doesn't make sense.
Only thing that doesn't make sense why were they banned in the first place. Just because they may have used doping but the tests didn't show it? Seems like it.

Sep 19, 2008
Can't believe those numbskulls at NBC don't want to pre-empt TODAY on NBC to show the opening ceremonies. You aware Canada is showing them live on TSN? They can just throw the ceremony on NBCSN. But no...let's air the ceremonies tape delayed at 8 PM. And that was why people was so mad in the first place!

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I like Tirico way more than Costas but let me tell you, even being a native New Yorker he talks too fast for me

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Is it just opening ceremonies today or is there any events to watch where there's a potential Canadian medalist?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->