2018 Pyeongchang Olympics | SPEED SKATING | Feb 10th - 24th

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Problem is that it's too many uneducated "fans" out there who compare asthma to doping. Where the first one gives people the chance to compete with those who have clear airways, while the second one give you a clear advantage over anyone.

The second part is that the same "fans" say that they give medicine to healthy athletes, when several studies has showed that giving a healthy athlete asthma medicine doesn't change anything, because they already have clear airways.

Where Norway might be the clear frontrunner is that they seem to be better at treating athletes who have irritations in regards to airways (within the rules), while other countries don't do anything or little about it.

Would be interesting to see if other countries would be open to what they have of medications and what they use, like the Norwegians are being (even though they don't have to).
I don't want to criticise the Norwegian team at all. They have been very straight and correct about that whole Salbutamol affair. But Salbutamol does have an anabolic effect. Sundby wasn't banned for using it, he was banned for overusing it (and FIS even didn't want to accept the ban). And this is where it's getting complicated. Norway's own federation even looked into it, didn't see anything against the rules but said that they were not satisfied either, because of the accessibility of the medication.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
I don't want to criticise the Norwegian team at all. They have been very straight and correct about that whole Salbutamol affair. But Salbutamol does have an anabolic effect. Sundby wasn't banned for using it, he was banned for overusing it (and FIS even didn't want to accept the ban). And this is where it's getting complicated. Norway's own federation even looked into it, didn't see anything against the rules but said that they were not satisfied either, because of the accessibility of the medication.

The whole thing with the case was that Norway started using a different inhaler where you put a much bigger dose in the inhaler, but the measured amount that gets inhaled into the body is only 10-15% or something along those lines. Normally one shouldn't have gone over the limit. I can't remember exactly, but I think I read altitude could have an effect, but I might be remembering wrong.

Anyway, the whole "argument" was that CAS and FIS/NSF disagreed with what the rules specifically said, and then CAS said they agreed that the rule wasn't specific enough. Thus the suspension was much more minor because of this, the TUE and what the NSF understood to be allowed. I might not be exactly on point here, but it was something along those lines. Point is, there wasn't intent to cheat, but they were still over the limit.

Yeah, the rumor was that NSF and the national team staff started treating athletes way to easy without really doing some proper testing. Almost like "kjærringråd" which is like treating on "old woman's advice"...you know it's not the normal, but experience and prior history shows that this works. So healthy athletes (like not with asthma) when they got irritations etc. the staff were sloppy with some medicine not really used for that type of treatment, thus making it a case.

Still, from what has come out, it doesn't seem they broke rules, but used medicine either unnecessary or using the "wrong" medicine a bit to easy in cases not needed and where other methods could have been used.

Reactions: Eisen

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Did not see that happening - Norway beating the Netherlands.

Not taking anything for granted, but they should actually beat Korea quite easily if everything goes "normally".

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Biggest surprise of the day so far.

Would agree to that. Even if it is on record me saying I would be "shocked" if the US won the relay. Hardly bothered to watch the semi - was already planning to watch the bronze final with my kiwi colleague.

Strangely enough. Now it would be a huge let down if they don't win - even if I see Korea were faster than Norway in the QFs.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Would agree to that. Even if it is on record me saying I would be "shocked" if the US won the relay. Hardly bothered to watch the semi - was already planning to watch the bronze final with my kiwi colleague.

Strangely enough. Now it would be a huge let down if they don't win - even if I see Korea were faster than Norway in the QFs.
I get that. The supposedly harder opponent is already beaten. Expectations get higher.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Difficult to evaluate how the Norwegians will handle the pressure (of course Korea are in many ways under more pressure). They are not exactly a bunch of athletes winning a lot during their careers. Could go either way after that race. Might just be so full of confidence and adrenaline so that they go even faster - or they are now kind of "done" - not being able to go again in the same way.

In any case - basically a bonus even getting to watch a final with Norwegians in it.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Our speed skating team is bad except for the Dutch skater we have...
If you want to see something really frightening take a look at the German squad. That once was considered a strong discipline for us, at least the females. The age of our team is 46/36/26. No youth in sight.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
That was super solid. Maybe that was the gold Norway needed to finish on top of the final medals table.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
That was dominant. Pedersen was really good.

Absolutely. I think he is slowly getting "there". People say he is the perfect professional. He will never be a new Kramer or anything, but could see him winning the allround one day - and maybe fight for an Olympic gold on the 5000 and 10000m in 4 years.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Ugh Canada was so close in the pursuit.

Need to pour funding into the speed skating teams in general as they are noticeably on the decline. When Hamelin was coming up he had numerous other luminaries with him. Same with St. Gelais on the women's side. Right now it looks like it's just Girard and Boutin, and that's not good enough in terms of pure numbers tbh.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Need to pour funding into the speed skating teams in general as they are noticeably on the decline. When Hamelin was coming up he had numerous other luminaries with him. Same with St. Gelais on the women's side. Right now it looks like it's just Girard and Boutin, and that's not good enough in terms of pure numbers tbh.

speed skating is one of those sports that does get a lot of funding. it's either right now our team is v. old, or too young, with a sprinkle of the Boutin/Girard.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Claudia Pechstein just said that if she is healthy and is still in good shape, she plans to participate in Beijing at age 50.

Last edited:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
No way. I mean, if anyone will follow through and can do so, it's her... but that is crazy.
She said the the plan was to retire after 2010, but since she was banned she contemplates it. The interviewer asked her if she means it and she answered that she always means what she says. And I have no doubt she means it. Pechstein is stubborn as f***. And there is no youth in the pipeline.
I think around the year 2000 I had a poster of her hanging on my wall ( I had lots of posters). Crazy.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad