2018 Pyeongchang Olympics | SNOWBOARDING | Feb 10th - 24th

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
I totally get Parrot going for the gold with a huge jump since he needed 89.75 to tie for gold. But I'm a bit bummed out he didn't try something a little easier. He lands a semi difficult jump like he can with his eyes closed and he gets at least a 83.5 and gets Silver and Canada gets 1/2.
Nah, you compete to win.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Adonis Creed

King of the East
Apr 13, 2015
JJ Anderson interview was fantastic. Destroying the conditions and how bad Koreans are maintinaing the track. frking legend!

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Did anyone else think, from the photo finish, that the Korean actually lost the semifinal that he was credited as winning? I was surprised that the analysts didn't say anything, but I just shrugged and figured that I was wrong. Well, I just discovered this:

(Korean in the foreground; Slovenian in the background)
DWx0MdPVMAAMInJ

https://sports.yahoo.com/photo-finish-show-south-korean-snowboarder-actually-losing-062545852.html

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Could be a matter of perspective too. But that does look suspicious.

I don't see how it could be perspective. The Slovenian's ski and glove are both clearly ahead of the Korean's. From what I heard on the broadcast, any part of the equipment or rider counts. The only thing that I can think of is, maybe, the red line isn't precisely where the finish line is--maybe it was painted imprecisely, like lines on a football field, or it warps as the snow shifts--but, even then, it's hard to imagine, from that image, that the Korean beat him to wherever the invisible line was.

I wonder if the IOC will do something. The Slovenian should get at least a silver, since he would've been assured of at least that if he'd won that semifinal. I'm not sure if they'd strip it from the Korean, though, since he did nothing wrong. Letting him keep it and giving a second silver to the Slovenian might be best thing all around, IMO.

Reactions: shortshorts

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
There are sensors that accurately register the winner, unless you can somehow demonstrate that they malfunction there's not going to be any kind of change to the results.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I don't see how it could be perspective. The Slovenian's ski and glove are both clearly ahead of the Korean's. From what I heard on the broadcast, any part of the equipment or rider counts. The only thing that I can think of is, maybe, the red line isn't precisely where the finish line is--maybe it was painted imprecisely, like lines on a football field, or it warps as the snow shifts--but, even then, it's hard to imagine, from that image, that the Korean beat him to wherever the invisible line was.

I wonder if the IOC will do something. The Slovenian should get at least a silver, since he would've been assured of at least that if he'd won that semifinal. I'm not sure if they'd strip it from the Korean, though, since he did nothing wrong. Letting him keep it and giving a second silver to the Slovenian might be best thing all around, IMO.
Perhaps the arm of the Slovenian wasn't low enough to trigger the sensor.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
There are sensors that accurately register the winner, unless you can somehow demonstrate that they malfunction there's not going to be any kind of change to the results.
Perhaps the arm of the Slovenian wasn't low enough to trigger the sensor.

I would think that photo evidence would trump the sensors. The winner, AFAIK, is supposed to be whoever is first to cross the line, not the sensor. The athlete can't be expected to know exactly where the sensor is so that he can put his hand at just that height to trigger it.

I just found this slow-mo video:

Last edited:

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
It's unfortunate they don't have the photo replay system they've used in speed skating and other sports. I'm glad he managed to salvage a bronze though.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I would think that photo evidence would trump the sensors. The winner, AFAIK, is supposed to be whoever is first to cross the line, not the sensor. The athlete can't be expected to know exactly where the sensor is so that he can put his hand at just that height to trigger it.

I just found this slow-mo video:

I don't know about the rules but if a picture isn't the determining factor in the race but the sensor is, then you have to change that rule. Soccer had that problem for ages with the goal camera. I doubt there is much that can be done now. The rules were the same for everyone. The guy who gets measured first is the winner of the race. I know it doesn't look good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad