Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

7jCMHCT.jpg

Last edited:

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
So how do you go fast or slow in this sport. Is it just laying on a sled and hope you don't die or is there actually skill involved.

That south korean went fast by the way.

Last edited:

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
So how so you go fast or slow in this sport. Is it just laying on a sled and hope you don't die or is there actually skill involved.

The start is a big part of all the sliding sports, but also taking a good straight line through the curves. Although others would be able to answer your question better than I can.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
So how so you go fast or slow in this sport. Is it just laying on a sled and hope you don't die or is there actually skill involved.

well it all starts with the start. then you want to find a clean line and the trick is, not bump into the corners or straight away becuse that will slow you down. you want to lean into the corners, and stay straight as possible. the cleaner you are is the faster you go.

did we have any CDNs in the field?

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
well it all starts with the start. then you want to find a clean line and the trick is, not bump into the corners or straight away becuse that will slow you down. you want to lean into the corners, and stay straight as possible. the cleaner you are is the faster you go.

did we have any CDNs in the field?
Yeah 3 competing but none look to be medal contenders. Kevin Boyer was the top Canadian in 18th in the first run.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
NBC showing this in their primetime "live" slot

Heck, they even aired this earlier this afternoon

RossiyaSport

Aug 18, 2017
www.instagram.com
Skeleton is one of these Olympic sports which I closely watch during the regular season. If you didn't watch this season the best girl on the circuit has been pretty much been Elena Nikitina despite all the massive scrutiny and political attack. Then is further propagandized against because this success doesn't fit the narrative against her. She has always been the fastest starter on the circuit but finally got better on the technical aspects which put her consistently on podiums.

Then despite having an amazing season and being vetted to death she is then excluded from the Olympics because of something 4 years ago she was exonerated from.

Then Lizzy Yarnold who is a major Russia hater and who has been awful this season gets to win gold with her competition cleared out of the way. As well as the sketchiness of this suit.

Reactions: BMann

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Skeleton is one of these Olympic sports which I closely watch during the regular season. If you didn't watch this season the best girl on the circuit has been pretty much been Elena Nikitina despite all the massive scrutiny and political attack. Then is further propagandized against because this success doesn't fit the narrative against her. She has always been the fastest starter on the circuit but finally got better on the technical aspects which put her consistently on podiums.

Then despite having an amazing season and being vetted to death she is then excluded from the Olympics because of something 4 years ago she was exonerated from.

Then Lizzy Yarnold who is a major Russia hater and who has been awful this season gets to win gold with her competition cleared out of the way. As well as the sketchiness of this suit.
The suit was given the nod by the organisation and the only thing I saw about Yarnold being a "hater" was that she would choose to ignore athletes should they be reinstated.
Jaqueline Lölling was stronger this season as well. That doesn`t mean that Nikitina had a bad season, though.
I get that it`s annoying to have a medal hope disqualified.

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
I can just imagine that had some other team come up with these suits there would have been a rather large cry of foul play from Team GB. It is amazing that the three athletes who medalled have had mediocre World Cup seasons suddenly spring these suits at Pyeongchang and go on to take three medals.

Can you imagine this in swimming where we had the shark tech suit swimmers beating former champions at the advent of their use ?

The suits should not have been allowed. Perhaps in Beijing when everyone has access to them. Some say it's all mental games but nonetheless the equipment should be as standard as it can be. Obviously the trays will differ due to the size of the athlete but the winner should be the best slider not someone who gained an unfair advantage. Which they have done when you look at the WC results this season.

Lolling should feel very aggrieved.

RossiyaSport

Aug 18, 2017
www.instagram.com
You are trying to downplay Nikitina's success this season by saying oh she wasn't bad this season. She was great this season.

The IBSF also kept bowing to political pressure. For example suspending her after the ruling on Sochi (which she was exonerated from). This caused her to miss the Vancouver grand prix right when she was on a great roll. The suspension was then promptly removed because there was no basis for it.

I think the main reason they did that was the previous week she won gold at the USA event and this ruffled some feathers because her success being vetted to death didn't fit the narrative.

Yarnold has done a whole lot more than that. Shes acted like a Russophobic loon more than a year.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I can just imagine that had some other team come up with these suits there would have been a rather large cry of foul play from Team GB. It is amazing that the three athletes who medalled have had mediocre World Cup seasons suddenly spring these suits at Pyeongchang and go on to take three medals.

Can you imagine this in swimming where we had the shark tech suit swimmers beating former champions at the advent of their use ?

The suits should not have been allowed. Perhaps in Beijing when everyone has access to them. Some say it's all mental games but nonetheless the equipment should be as standard as it can be. Obviously the trays will differ due to the size of the athlete but the winner should be the best slider not someone who gained an unfair advantage. Which they have done when you look at the WC results this season.

Lolling should feel very aggrieved.
The suits are really fishy, but what can you do? Yeah, you could cry foul but what would it change? They are not going to take the decision back.
Wasn`t there already a scenario like that in swimming? I have a vague notion that something like that happened.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
You are trying to downplay Nikitina's success this season by saying oh she wasn't bad this season. She was great this season.

The IBSF also kept bowing to political pressure. For example suspending her after the ruling on Sochi (which she was exonerated from). This caused her to miss the Vancouver grand prix right when she was on a great roll. The suspension was then promptly removed because there was no basis for it.

I think the main reason they did that was the previous week she won gold at the USA event and this ruffled some feathers because her success being vetted to death didn't fit the narrative.

Yarnold has done a whole lot more than that. Shes acted like a Russophobic loon more than a year.
The CAS and the IBSF/IOC are different entities. The CAS looked for individual faults and the organisations for state controlled doping. It`s a completely muddy affair and probably not fair to everyone. What does "vetted to death" mean, though? Was she tested more often than other athletes?

RossiyaSport

Aug 18, 2017
www.instagram.com
Yes of course. Russia hasn't even controlled their internal testing in like 3 years.

My irritation with the attacks on Nikitina is its all agenda. The narrative being nasty Russian cheater steals medal from virtuous American. As she was getting on the podiums this season I saw an article in USA Today pretty much directly saying her start times this season were the result of doping. Its a completely nonsensical statement. Are they saying WADA and the UK are altering her tests. Yet this is what passes for credible journalism in the MSM. Instead of saying kudos on a strong season they propagandize against her because the success she is having doesn't fit the desired narrative.

Yarnold was horrible this season. Uhlaendar hasn't even made a world cup podium since 2013 I think.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The suits are really fishy, but what can you do? Yeah, you could cry foul but what would it change? They are not going to take the decision back.
Wasn`t there already a scenario like that in swimming? I have a vague notion that something like that happened.

yah. in Beijing everyone had shark suits, and then after, FINA was like okay. nope. it's too much of an advantage so everyone stopped using it. (I didn't watch Skeleton - were there super speed suits or something?)

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
yah. in Beijing everyone had shark suits, and then after, FINA was like okay. nope. it's too much of an advantage so everyone stopped using it. (I didn't watch Skeleton - were there super speed suits or something?)
According to the Brits, they were supposed to shave off up to one second of time (a German report claims)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->