2018 Pyeongchang Olympics | FREESTYLE SKIING | Feb 9th - 23rd

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

FuZ0JLG.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2006
Qualification currently underway. American Morgan Schild had a good run, well deserved, she's been through a lot already in her young career.

Oct 18, 2006
Mikael Kingsbury, my goodness. That was sensational. Absolutely flawless, makes it look so easy.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Staggering!! These guys are insane. The men certainly make it look easier than the women, and the jumps are pretty awesome.

i am always surprised the women don't do more tricks. like some of it sure, it's obvious but some of them i'm like... i'm sure you could do that right?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
One of our medal favourites already on the verge of not qualifying for the finals. Needs to finish top of the second qualifying group tomorrow.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
One of our medal favourites already on the verge of not qualifying for the finals. Needs to finish top of the second qualifying group tomorrow.

it's still going on?
who are you talking about?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

Oho. yah. i wasn't sure if she was a s strong as the other two (Anna + Justine) but it will be weird not having like all 4 cdns in the final. we usually clean up in this event.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
My memory is failing me these days but is it usually this way with the Winter Olympics? So many events underway before the opening ceremonies?

Seems irregular to me and I can't remember this usually being the case but I may just be forgetting.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
My memory is failing me these days but is it usually this way with the Winter Olympics? So many events underway before the opening ceremonies?

Seems irregular to me and I can't remember this usually being the case but I may just be forgetting.

The four sports that have events before the ceremonies:

Curling: Never used to be this way, but with the addition of the mixed doubles event (which obviously uses the same venue) it now starts earlier. Looks like they could have moved it up to start the day of the ceremonies as apposed to the day before the ceremonies though as the Women's medal round will lag one day behind the Men's (they may have decided to keep them like that way to have more games at prime times.

Moguls: I don't know why this starts early. I see no reason why it should. However it did start early in 2014 as well. One possible explanation is the new big air event in snowboarding. I took the "virtual tour" of the park on the Olympic website, and it shows the venues for all the freestyle skiing events, and all of the snowboarding events except big air. Perhaps the mogul venue will be converted to the big air venue?

Sk Jumping: Again I don't know why this starts early. All the Ski Jumping will be finished on the 19th.

Figure Skating: The venue is being used for short track as well. Although there are a couple days where there are both going on, and a couple days where neither is going on. It certainly looks like they could fit it all in without forcing anyone to compete too close together. It was early last time too, and that was when the team event was added.

Also of note Snowboarding was early last time.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

She finished 13th in the first round and they mentioned that the 2nd round is best of the 2 rounds the with the first being this round which carries over so as of now she's 3rd of 20 people in the 2nd round phase. 8 of the 17 people behind her would have to have a better 2nd round score than Chloe's first round score which given that most of those skiers are likely lower level ones(just 1 of them is ranked top 10 at exactly #10) who couldn't beat her the first go around I'm thinking her first score will probably be enough to advance even if she crashed the 2nd time. Same likely goes for the 1 Canadian male who didn't make it, he was 11th so will start the 2nd run in 1st and that score will likely be good enough to get him though without needing his 2nd run score.

Not sure how much of a medal favorite she is though, they mentioned she's struggled this year which is backed up by her bib number(which they give out in order of their world rankings), she's #12 in the world this year. The other 3 Canadians are ranked above her. Hopefully she can pull out that Sochi magic and finish on the podium again this go around.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
She finished 13th in the first round and they mentioned that the 2nd round is best of the 2 rounds the with the first being this round which carries over so as of now she's 3rd of 20 people in the 2nd round phase. 8 of the 17 people behind her would have to have a better 2nd round score than Chloe's first round score which given that most of those skiers are likely lower level ones(just 1 of them is ranked top 10 at exactly #10) who couldn't beat her the first go around I'm thinking her first score will probably be enough to advance even if she crashed the 2nd time. Same likely goes for the 1 Canadian male who didn't make it, he was 11th so will start the 2nd run in 1st and that score will likely be good enough to get him though without needing his 2nd run score.

Not sure how much of a medal favorite she is though, they mentioned she's struggled this year which is backed up by her bib number(which they give out in order of their world rankings), she's #12 in the world this year. The other 3 Canadians are ranked above her. Hopefully she can pull out that Sochi magic and finish on the podium again this go around.
Yeah she definitely wasn't a medal favorite coming in. Just hasn't been very sharp the last year or so. She will 100% make it to the finals though and does have the ability in her to nail a medal worthy run but I wouldn't be expecting it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad