2018 Pyeongchang Olympics | CROSS-COUNTRY SKIING | Feb 10th - 25th

Oct 18, 2006
Super, super effort from Krueger. Like Kalla yesterday, took the punt with about 3km left and it paid off, blew away the field.

Klaebo had nothing. All day. Wonder what this means for the rest of his Olympics.

Oct 18, 2006
Cross country sprints begin shortly. Always an interesting event, often unpredictable.

I guess the major question is whether after a disappointing skiathlon, can Klaebo bounce back? I think he will, but if what occurred the other night was any indication, he's off the pace. He's the comfortable leader in WC sprint standings so he has to go in favourite.

As for the women, Falla would have to be the clear favourite, although there are many threats, and the young Americans could be worth keeping an eye on, in particular Caldwell and Diggins.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
What is the distance for sprints? Looking at the times for the 2014 Olympics I was really surprised as I expected sprint to be something like 10k. Somehow I always missed this event even though with the heats and knockouts it seems more memorable. Also, who should I look out for?

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
What is the distance for sprints? Looking at the times for the 2014 Olympics I was really surprised as I expected sprint to be something like 10k. Somehow I always missed this event even though with the heats and knockouts it seems more memorable. Also, who should I look out for?
Individual sprint for women is 1.3 kilometers.

Oct 18, 2006
In short:

Women: Falla, Nilsson the big two, with Americans I mentioned above.

Men: Klaebo (young prodigee), Pellegrino, Chanavat, Iverson is in good form too.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Klaebo should be the winner. He`s been incredible this season. Everything else would be a big surprise.

Oct 18, 2006
Klaebo looked strong, promising signs. Terrible by Chanavat who won't even qualify.

In fact a lot of the unseeded guys have pipped their much more recognised counterparts.

I like Bolshunov actually.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
CBC saying Alex Harvey was a medal favourite? They seem really disappointed that he's right on the bubble right now.

edit: Harvey gone.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Klaebo looked strong, promising signs. Terrible by Chanavat who won't even qualify.

In fact a lot of the unseeded guys have pipped their much more recognised counterparts.

I like Bolshunov actually.
Bolshunov has an outside shot. He`s not bad by any means.

Reactions: Filppula
Oct 18, 2006
CBC saying Alex Harvey was a medal favourite? They seem really disappointed that he's right on the bubble right now.

edit: Harvey gone.
Was an outside chance at a medal at best. Capable, and has achieved strong results here and there in the sprints, but not having a very strong season in this distance. Still, you would've expected him to qualify. There's been some quality guys who've missed out.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Was an outside chance at a medal at best. Capable, and has achieved strong results here and there in the sprints, but not having a very strong season in this distance. Still, you would've expected him to qualify. There's been some quality guys who've missed out.
Chavanat out is a surprise. And I agree, Harvey should have qualified.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
As for the women, Falla would have to be the clear favourite, although there are many threats, and the young Americans could be worth keeping an eye on, in particular Caldwell and Diggins.

What make you think Falla is the clear favourite? In my opinion Nilsson and Falla is pretty much 50/50. Heidi Weng might have a small chance aswell

These are two fantastic sprinters.

Last edited:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
What make you think Falla is the clear favourite? In my opinion Nilsson and Falla is pretty much 49/49 percent chance of winning with Heidi Weng 1 percent and the rest of the field share the last percentage

These are two fantastic sprinters.
How the season is going, you could even give the slight advantage to Nilsson.

Oct 18, 2006
Yeah you guys are right, it's 50/50, and you could definitely make a case for Nilsson being favourite. Nilsson beat her just a few weeks ago.

Basically I just think Norwegians are more clutch hence why I give Falla the advantage!

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
I'd give pure skiing ability when everything clicks to Nilsson but Falla has more experience which can be important in events like this. Also the fact that it is classic skiing and lots of steep hills might be more advantage for Falla. Stina is fantastic when she can skate in freestyle/free skiing and use what we call in Sweden treans växel(third gear, dobbeldans in norwegian) in not so steep hills

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I'd give pure skiing ability when everything clicks to Nilsson but Falla has more experience which can be important in events like this. Also the fact that it is classic skiing and lots of steep hills might be more advantage for Falla. Stina is fantastic when she can skate in freestyle/free skiing and use what we call in Sweden treans växel(third gear, dobbeldans in norwegian) in not so steep hills
Nilsson just won the classic last month, though. That points to a good shape going into the race.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Yeah she can handle classic aswell. It's just if it was skate I would be cockier than to say 50/50 going into it :naughty:

Oct 18, 2006
Nilsson takes the 1st QF, Falla the 2nd. Nilsson looks the strongest though, she cruised to her time whereas Falla was pushing the entire time.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I was wrong. The women´s competition is 1.2km.
Male 1.4km.
The lengths of the tracks differ from venue to venue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->