2018 Pyeongchang Olympics | BIATHLON | Feb 10th - 23rd

Oct 18, 2006
Whenever you think a country is in a position of strength, they throw it away. This is crazy. More twists and turns still to come I'm sure but Belarus leading with Domracheva to come look very tough to beat.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
To much wind. Shooting is crapsoot. Athletes trained 4 years for this you cant start such a race with irregular conditions. Think they never started this in World Cup.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
To much wind. Shooting is crapsoot. Athletes trained 4 years for this you cant start such a race with irregular conditions. Think they never started this in World Cup.
They did delay a women's race earlier for similar conditions. But when the race started, it didn't look bad.

Oct 18, 2006
Darya did well to hold her nerve. 2/5 then hitting all her spare sounds, that was massive. A loop and it's good night as far as gold is concerned. Huge resolve to knock them down.

A star has well and truly been born at these games in the form of Oeberg.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
It's these kinds of races that makes legends and stories. Everyone has equal crappy conditions for the most part. So in a way you get a fair winner. Good thing every race isn't the same, at the same time. Starting a race in these kinds of conditions shouldn't really be done.

It was the same in snowboard slopestyle for women, even more so given they actually have to do their tricks in high altitude with throwing winds.

So, yeah in a way its good and bad.

Reactions: Eisen

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
It's an outside sport and things like that can happen. Team Belarus managed just fine and team Pichler, too. ;)

Oct 18, 2006
Only three girls shot clean and required no spare rounds, one of which was Oeberg. She took 16:56 to complete her leg, seriously quick. At the final exchange Sweden were in 8th position so for them to grab silver is amazing, Oeberg virtually single-handedly got them there.

Quickest leg of the night was Vittozzi who went 16:49 to open.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
It's an outside sport and things like that can happen. Team Belarus managed just fine and team Pichler, too. ;)

Sure but atleast at Olympics they should try to start the race at good conditions. They had enough time to postpone the race. If really good shooters like Wierer or Hildebrand take a penalty Loop, conditions are not fair in my opinion.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Sure but atleast at Olympics they should try to start the race at good conditions. They had enough time to postpone the race. If really good shooters like Wierer or Hildebrand take a penalty Loop, conditions are not fair in my opinion.
I get that. And conditions were far from good. But at least they were equally crappy for everyone. Again, at the beginning of the race it looked OK. I must have happened shortly before the first shoot. Sven Fischer made a point saying that conditions are manageable. Wait, that would mean the forecast stank.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden

It is an outdoor sport and you have to deal with the wind. Further with wind shooting skill (including estimating wind) becomes more important than without wind. Anyone coming from a shooting sport perspective sees this as totally integral of the sport and nonsense as a motive to post-phone the race. Deal with the wind and shoot well despite adversaries.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
German media reports that Dahlmeier is thinking about retirement. She is not sure yet, she didn't think about it enough. "Everything is possible", she says. That would be quite the blow after Neuner.

Oct 18, 2006
German media reports that Dahlmeier is thinking about retirement. She is not sure yet, she didn't think about it enough. "Everything is possible", she says. That would be quite the blow after Neuner.
Wow. Surely not? I'm still upset about Neuner!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad