2018 Pyeongchang Olympics| ALPINE SKIING | Feb 11th-24th

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Shiffrin with a second. Gisin was too good today... although Shiffrin may have made a mistake in the middle? The CBC announcer wasn't sure how she went from -0.5 to +0.5 to -0.5 all so quickly. She thought it was a bad reading.

Good results for Shiffrin this Olympics. I know everyone expected her to be perfect... but I think a Gold in GS, Silver in combined and 4th in Slalom is a good result. She very well could have gotten the triple gold but the weather was challenging all week.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Shiffrin with a second. Gisin was too good today... although Shiffrin may have made a mistake in the middle? The CBC announcer wasn't sure how she went from -0.5 to +0.5 to -0.5 all so quickly. She thought it was a bad reading.

Good results for Shiffrin this Olympics. I know everyone expected her to be perfect... but I think a Gold in GS, Silver in combined and 4th in Slalom is a good result. She very well could have gotten the triple gold but the weather was challenging all week.

Beijing should be alot more friendly. They are usually pretty wind free in winter

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm not defending any of the replies (and, for the record, I've read only the first), but Vonn really did invite criticism by essentially blaming her skis. I'm no expert on skiing, but my guess is that her skis getting "burned" is either something that she could've avoided like every skier who had a better run than her or it happened to them and they dealt with it better than she did. It was pretty clear to me that she was making an excuse and hoping that the public would accept it, and they let her know that they don't. If you don't want people to tear you apart, don't make excuses, especially not on a public platform and especially not when the standard for sportsmanship is as high as it is at the Olympics.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I'm not defending any of the replies (and, for the record, I've read only the first), but Vonn really did invite criticism by essentially blaming her skis. I'm no expert on skiing, but my guess is that her skis getting "burned" is either something that she could've avoided like every skier who had a better run than her or it happened to them and they dealt with it better than she did. It was pretty clear to me that she was making an excuse and hoping that the public would accept it, and they let her know that they don't. If you don't want people to tear you apart, don't make excuses, especially not on a public platform and especially not when the standard for sportsmanship is as high as it is at the Olympics.

The best thing is just not to bother mentioning stuff like that at all. I think this Olympics will be remembered in some aspect for pretty miserable skiing conditions. Some of it was an act of God but my understanding is snow conditions that could have been changed were bad too which led to crashes and more than a couple of cases of upsets that probably don’t occur otherwise. We saw this in Sochi with the halfpipe where numerous riders claimed it was a complete mess and it likely led to Shaun White not medaling although to his credit he never once said that was why.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I just assumed that, judging by how much she torched everyone else in the downhill portion of the combined, plus the Norwegian's observations during the first race, that it was legit, which she also acknowledges in her tweet (#thatisskiracing) that sometimes those things happen. I get taking the "high road" and not even acknowledging that stuff, but I don't think any of us are to judge how these athletes should react to these things having never been in those positions ourselves.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The best thing is just not to bother mentioning stuff like that at all. I think this Olympics will be remembered in some aspect for pretty miserable skiing conditions. Some of it was an act of God but my understanding is snow conditions that could have been changed were bad too which led to crashes and more than a couple of cases of upsets that probably don’t occur otherwise. We saw this in Sochi with the halfpipe where numerous riders claimed it was a complete mess and it likely led to Shaun White not medaling although to his credit he never once said that was why.

I agree. You never know how much things like that may've affected others who simply kept it to themselves. For all that we know, half or even all of the skiers might've burned their skis like that on that run or on one of the ones that Vonn medaled with, but didn't take to Twitter to tell the world. If not that, then other skiers might've been affected by other things like weather conditions or waxing. It's probably infuriating for those who keep such things to themselves to hear their competitors make public excuses.

I just assumed that, judging by how much she torched everyone else in the downhill portion of the combined, plus the Norwegian's observations during the first race, that it was legit, which she also acknowledges in her tweet (#thatisskiracing) that sometimes those things happen. I get taking the "high road" and not even acknowledging that stuff, but I don't think any of us are to judge how these athletes should react to these things having never been in those positions ourselves.

I don't think that you need to have ever been in these positions to know good sportsmanship from bad. None of us have been President, but we know that how Trump uses Twitter is not professional, especially for that position.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
None of us have been President, but we know that how Trump uses Twitter is not professional, especially for that position.

That's an extreme-ass analogy, as there is no precedent for that, where there is plenty precedent for what Vonn said. I didn't think it was all that bad anyway to be honest, but like I said, I get both angles.

Good results for Shiffrin this Olympics.

Indeed. If you'd have said coming in she'd leave with a gold and a silver, one would think it'd be a solid showing. It just wasn't in the events you'd have thought it'd be.

Last edited:

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
I know most people see the team event as blasphemous but I love watching it.

ugh: Canada lost by 4 one hundredth...

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That's an extreme-ass analogy, as there is no precedent for that, where there is plenty precedent for what Vonn said. I didn't think it was all that bad anyway to be honest, but like I said, I get both angles.

Precedent has nothing to do with sportsmanship. The fact that enough skiers in the past have made excuses doesn't excuse Vonn for making them.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad