2018 Pyeongchang Olympics| ALPINE SKIING | Feb 11th-24th

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I’m starting to wonder if these skiing courses suck or the best athletes are just having bad games. We’ve seen really only one alpine event where the highly anticipated favorite won. I mean even Shiffrin wasn’t expected to win the event she did.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
They don't suck, but they are designed more forgiving than some other ones out there because of the diverse level of competitors. In Wengen or Garmisch you'd be making widows.

Reactions: Fighter

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
"Reaction of Czech ice hockey players was also priceless:
"Do you know that Ledecká won gold?"
"No, but congratulations to her. It had to be hard for her, all that pressure. Everyone expected her to win."
"She won it in skiing."
"Skiing?"
"Skiing - super G."
"Are you f***ing kidding us?""

lol. That was spectacular.

Oct 18, 2006
I'm getting through today's action...and I cannot believe, like literally cannot comprehend that Veith (my absolute favourite) was beaten. I'm in total shock.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
"Reaction of Czech ice hockey players was also priceless:
"Do you know that Ledecká won gold?"
"No, but congratulations to her. It had to be hard for her, all that pressure. Everyone expected her to win."
"She won it in skiing."
"Skiing?"
"Skiing - super G."
"Are you f***ing kidding us?""

lol. That was spectacular.
I think I need to see this

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
As expected Miller past his prime. Did not expect him to contend. Skiiers tend to fall off a cliff after 29-30 if they've had numerous injuries. Vonn had a good training run tonight. We will see if it carries over in a few days

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
What the hell was that by Vonn at the end of her training run. She probably would have been close to a win but she seemed to showboat or just do something odd

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
What the hell was that by Vonn at the end of her training run. She probably would have been close to a win but she seemed to showboat or just do something odd

She said in a post interview that she purposefully went upright to slow herself down because she doesn't like to get top times during the training runs. Whatever works for her, I suppose.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Stupid decision to move up the combined from Friday to Thursday due to weather. All the snow will fall middle of the night. They could have just left things as is. Many of the downhill participants not too happy right now. Shiffrin has pulled out but she wasn’t likely a medal threat anyway in the downhill

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Stupid decision to move up the combined from Friday to Thursday due to weather. All the snow will fall middle of the night. They could have just left things as is. Many of the downhill participants not too happy right now. Shiffrin has pulled out but she wasn’t likely a medal threat anyway in the downhill

I'm bummed (And part of this is just the US performance in general) but Shiffrin came to the olympics with a lot of promise and I feel like I've barely seen her ski. Her not doing well in the Slalom unfortunately might define these Olympics for her, and that was after winning the Giant Slalom gold.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Pretty lousy starting slot for Vonn again. The good news is some of her strongest competitors also drew low spots. Downhill is almost always won by someone going 2-5 because speed is so important. I’m going with Goggia winning it and Vonn getting 2nd

Reactions: Fighter

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Pretty lousy starting slot for Vonn again. The good news is some of her strongest competitors also drew low spots. Downhill is almost always won by someone going 2-5 because speed is so important. I’m going with Goggia winning it and Vonn getting 2nd

So far, that's a pretty nice prediction. :)

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
It looks like they are skiing on ice now. The announcers really haven't talked about the snow conditions as much as they should these entire games. So many crashes.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Vonn has to survive Ferk and Gauche most likely. Pretty remote anyone under that boots her although she's far enough behind the leader its not impossible

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Norwegian commentators thought Vonn might have had bad skis, they thought she lost time in the wrong parts of the course- the glide-part. And they said she should never have lost time there, it didn't make sense.

They were also anticipating a good run from Mowinkel, so not as big a surprise there if someone thought so.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I'm bummed (And part of this is just the US performance in general) but Shiffrin came to the olympics with a lot of promise and I feel like I've barely seen her ski. Her not doing well in the Slalom unfortunately might define these Olympics for her, and that was after winning the Giant Slalom gold.

Shiffrin was overhyped because she’s so good in those two events the reality is she was only likely to medal IN THOSE 2 events and they were the two she medaled and nearly medaled in. She was a long shot in the Super G and a fairly unlikely in the downhill. She was also never a threat in the combined which is later tonight either. We will see about the team event but I gather the US is not likely to medal there.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Vonn with a great run. Looks like a person who knows its her last major event.

Vonn’s slalom is really bad. Holdener or Shiffrin or both may catch her on the 2nd leg. I have no clue about Mowinckel. She has never once been ranked in slalom but is great at giant slalom. I’m not sure how that translates. Right now you’d think the top 4 in the end would be Vonn Shiffrin Holdener Mowinckel in no particular order

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad