Olympics: 2018 power rankings

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
So what teams are now the favourites for the upcoming Olympics now that NHL players are out?

My take:

1. Russia
2. Finland
3. Sweden
4. Canada
5. Switzerland
6. Chezh Rebublic
7. USA
??
I expect South Korea to finish last but there are some teams still fighting for getting in.

What do you think? And is there a list of players who are able to participate? We should rank them as well. :popcorn:

Hasa92

Aug 4, 2012
Finland
Dunno that Finland is better than Sweden.

Well, what does your list look like? I placed Finland over Sweden since the KHL has a lot of high quality Finns. Both countries have a strong league in their own, Sweden's is stronger for sure but i think Finland tops Sweden if you add the KHL factor. Ofc. There is Swedes in the KHL as well.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Well, what does your list look like? I placed Finland over Sweden since the KHL has a lot of high quality Finns. Both countries have a strong league in their own, Sweden's is stronger for sure but i think Finland tops Sweden if you add the KHL factor. Ofc. There is Swedes in the KHL as well.

Honestly not much different. I'm not super familiar with Swedens European based guys

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
I dont understand how people can put Finland over Sweden. Sweden is much stronger on the paper.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Russia

___
Canada
Sweden
USA
Finland
Czech
Switzerland
___
Slovakia
Germany
Norway
Slovenia

___
South Korea

Last edited:

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I still think Canada will have a great team. NHL players or not. In the last 2 Olympic games before the NHL started sending players over Canada won the 2 silver medals. Losing to the Unified Russian team in 1992 and Sweden in 1994.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Russia has lost some key players to NHL this off-season. Schipachyov and Dadonov were locks. Antipin was likely to be on the roster. Bereglazov, Mironov were strong candidates.

I actually expect a young team, mostly 25-or-under.

lakers11

Aug 23, 2014
We can give the trophy to Russia. They will be unstoppable unless a miracle on the ice happens

Ovechkin etc is expected to play in the tournament

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
1. Russia
2. Finland
3. Sweden
4. Canada
5. Czech Republic
6. Switzerland
7. USA

Agreed.

What I like about this roster is that so many players already have deep experience having played in the Olympics and WHC. Lepistö has even played in several Skoda cups, 2 OGs, and the recent World Cup.
Not to mention, Koskinen is probably the best goalie in the tournament. Otherwise, pretty much all players on this roster have skoda cup experience. This should be an advantage for Finland. Bolded are players with OG and Skoda cup experience.

Otherwise, I think all but Tolvanen, Hintz, Heiskanen, and Anttila have Skoda cup experience.
I guess this time around, it's a good thing that Finland hasn't been so deep in the past 10 years, and we will end up with a non NHL-Olympic roster loaded with international experience. A good problem that deeper teams don't have this time around, save for Russia.

Savinainen-Kontiola-Aaltonen
Tolvanen-Koskiranta-Palola
Hartikainen-Hintz-Pihlström
Osala-Kemppainen-Anttila

Lepistö-Hietanen
Ohtamaa-Lehtonen
Heiskanen-Salmela
Kukkonen-Järvinen

Koskinen

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
We can give the trophy to Russia. They will be unstoppable unless a miracle on the ice happens

Just like they are always unstoppable in the EHT? And let's be real here, Ovechkin won't play.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

There are huge questions as to what the Russian roster will be, or whether the team will be at all dominant in comparison to pre-tournament expectations. The team is likely to be a mix of young players untested in international competition, combined with older players who are past their prime, to be honest. Ovechkin's presence is very much in doubt, because making a special case of him because of his wishes puts the NHL brass in a very uncomfortable position - what about other NHL stars who want to take time off to play for their country? It just seems all too easy to some people!

lakers11

Aug 23, 2014
There are huge questions as to what the Russian roster will be, or whether the team will be at all dominant in comparison to pre-tournament expectations. The team is likely to be a mix of young players untested in international competition, combined with older players who are past their prime, to be honest. Ovechkin's presence is very much in doubt, because making a special case of him because of his wishes puts the NHL brass in a very uncomfortable position - what about other NHL stars who want to take time off to play for their country? It just seems all too easy to some people!

There are no players in europe even comparable to likes of kovalchuck, Mozyakin (or however its spelled) etc

And ovechkin has said several times he doesnt give a **** what NHL says, he's going to play the olympics

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
There are no players in europe even comparable to likes of kovalchuck, Mozyakin (or however its spelled) etc

And ovechkin has said several times he doesnt give a **** what NHL says, he's going to play the olympics

On paper Kovalchuk, Datsyuk, Mozyakin and Markov are very strong.

But none of them are south of 30 and by the time the tournament rolls around they might me beat up.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Russia.
But Russia can fail in these tournament (because Russia have lousy coach)

Sorokin
3 top line
Kovalchuk-Datsyuk-Gusev
Mozyakin-Tkachev-Nichushkin
Shumakov-Shalunov-Kaprizov

and energy line
Telegin-Barabanov-Plotnikov

reserve list Grigorenko,Shirokov,Okulov,Svetlakov,Prokhorkin

Markov-Voinov
Ozhiganov-Kisilevich
Gavrikov-Belov

reserve list Marchenko,Nesterov,Tryamkin,Yarullin,Naumenkov

This roster with good coach can beat even Canada A-TEAM

Last edited:

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Russia.
But Russia can fail in these tournament (because Russia have lousy coach)

Sorokin
3 top line
Kovalchuk-Datsyuk-Gusev
Mozyakin-Tkachev-Nichushkin
Shumakov-Shalunov-Kaprizov

and energy line
Telegin-Barabanov-Plotnikov

reserve list Grigorenko,Shirokov,Okulov,Svetlakov,Prokhorkin

Markov-Voinov
Ozhiganov-Kisilevich
Gavrikov-Belov

reserve list Marchenko,Nesterov,Tryamkin,Yarullin,Naumenkov

This roster with good coach can beat even Canada A-TEAM

Wait... what?

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
NHL is digging deep in the ranks of Swedish talents. I can see Finland being better than Sweden or at least at pair.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
That's not an outrageous statement. They would be heavy underdogs, obviously, but heavy dogs have won before.

Very recently Howard beat UNLV in NCAA football.

Howard was +45(!) dogs.

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
Well Russia KHLall stars could win just as well as France A team could win Canada A in 1 game almost any team can beat anyone at top level.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
The heart and determination of Canada will shine again, the boys will find a way to keep the gold in Canada :)

I hope the Czech Republic does well, its my second team :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad