OT: 2018 Phillies

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
take the best player, Mize is having an unreal season, but if he falls due to medicals then sure pass on him. Besides it's not like the phillies have done a good job picking hitters in the 1st round.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
You don’t draft for need but he might not be the best player. He’s a cutter-splitter guy which will probably turn off the Phillies (they don’t want their young arms throwing cutters or splitters). His four seam fastball isn’t great. And chances are if he’s there at 3, his medicals are trash.

The Phillies have struggled developing teenage hitters. It’s certainly up for debate whether they are bad at the development phase or the selection phase, but there won’t be any HS bats in the discussion for #3. College bats are easier to project and are the safest picks in the draft. Haseley was the first college bat they took in the first round since Chase Utley. Haseley probably isn’t a star (most people would acknowledge that on draft night) but he has enough average to above average tools to be a decent piece in the near future. They should be able to grab a good bat in two weeks that should be a big leaguer in two years or less.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
You don’t draft for need but he might not be the best player. He’s a cutter-splitter guy which will probably turn off the Phillies (they don’t want their young arms throwing cutters or splitters). His four seam fastball isn’t great. And chances are if he’s there at 3, his medicals are trash.

The Phillies have struggled developing teenage hitters. It’s certainly up for debate whether they are bad at the development phase or the selection phase, but there won’t be any HS bats in the discussion for #3. College bats are easier to project and are the safest picks in the draft. Haseley was the first college bat they took in the first round since Chase Utley. Haseley probably isn’t a star (most people would acknowledge that on draft night) but he has enough average to above average tools to be a decent piece in the near future. They should be able to grab a good bat in two weeks that should be a big leaguer in two years or less.

I read somewhere that Mize was having the best season for a pitcher since Stephen Strasburg. If he falls for medicals then sure pass on him, as I'm sure the phils will since they will have their docs look at him. This could be there last shot at picking his high for some time so hate to see them miss out.

I like Haseley from the little I saw of him last year, won't get to see too much of him this year but hopefully next year in Reading he lights it up.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
Hasley had a big night in the doubleheader yesterday. He's not setting the Florida St. league on fire but I liked what I saw from him last year so I'm still holding out hope he can be a solid player in a few years.

Sounds like Bohm is there guy but talk seems to be heating up that the Tigers are really considering passing on Mize. As long as his medicals are ok, would be cool if he fell to the 3rd pick.
Even if Mize falls to 3 I would still take Bohm. I don’t think any of these arms have top of the rotation, franchise starter potential tbh, even Mize. Bohm has the potential to be a 5 tool building block type of guy.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I read somewhere that Mize was having the best season for a pitcher since Stephen Strasburg. If he falls for medicals then sure pass on him, as I'm sure the phils will since they will have their docs look at him. This could be there last shot at picking his high for some time so hate to see them miss out.

I like Haseley from the little I saw of him last year, won't get to see too much of him this year but hopefully next year in Reading he lights it up.
Oh statistically Mize has been fantastic (although I think he’s given up like 9 or 10 HRs this year which is a lot for a guy with his ability). He’s got video game numbers but there are questions about how it translates due to the unusual pitch sequencing and he doesn’t have the cleanest of deliveries.
He’s not a traditional pitcher (like Strasburg) with the prototype frame, big fastball, and huge breaking ball. Kiley McDaniel compared him to a Japanese import pitcher.

I think Haseley is in Reading by July provided he doesn’t hit a wall and he’ll be able to play CF with a little more regularity. There was some buzz that he would start in Reading this year. That would have been really aggressive. I think they have been tweaking his swing.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Even if Mize falls to 3 I would still take Bohm. I don’t think any of these arms have top of the rotation, franchise starter potential tbh, even Mize. Bohm has the potential to be a 5 tool building block type of guy.

I know I've read good things on Mize and Singer, but with concerns over medicals. Bohm from what I understand the scouts are split if he can stay at 3B or not. The fact that the phillies are said to be in on him makes me want Mize or Madrigal since their drafting in the 1st round hasn't been very good.

Oh statistically Mize has been fantastic (although I think he’s given up like 9 or 10 HRs this year which is a lot for a guy with his ability). He’s got video game numbers but there are questions about how it translates due to the unusual pitch sequencing and he doesn’t have the cleanest of deliveries.
He’s not a traditional pitcher (like Strasburg) with the prototype frame, big fastball, and huge breaking ball. Kiley McDaniel compared him to a Japanese import pitcher.

I think Haseley is in Reading by July provided he doesn’t hit a wall and he’ll be able to play CF with a little more regularity. There was some buzz that he would start in Reading this year. That would have been really aggressive. I think they have been tweaking his swing.

I saw where McDaniel said that Medina has the upside of Mize or something to that effect. Haven't heard about them tweaking Haseley's swing, maybe that's why he started off slow. I know some are worried about his low walk rate and lack of power but he seems to be heating up so if he keeps it up maybe he will be in Reading this year. One thing I don't understand is why not send Randolph and MM down a level for each.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I saw where McDaniel said that Medina has the upside of Mize or something to that effect.
He doubled down this week and said he'd go top 5 if he were in this draft (he's the age of a college JR). That was before his good start this week. He's got great stuff.

Haven't heard about them tweaking Haseley's swing, maybe that's why he started off slow. I know some are worried about his low walk rate and lack of power but he seems to be heating up so if he keeps it up maybe he will be in Reading this year.
He had a lot of movement pre-swing last year. I think they tried to tone it down. Also Virginia teaches their hitters to hit groundballs and low line drives which obviously isn't ideal in the big leagues. That was the one thing I was hesitant about with him last year. If you want to feel better look what Pavin Smith is doing in a hitter friendly league. Haseley seems to be coming into form now. 2-4 tonight with another double and a walk. The walk rate is poor, but he has a track record of drawing walks so if he's still walking 3% of the time in AA or AAA, I'll start to worry. I also wonder how much it is stressed at the lower levels. No one really has great BB numbers. It is obviously stressed with Kapler and the big club. If the K-rate is over 20% I would also start to worry.

One thing I don't understand is why not send Randolph and MM down a level for each.
Demotions for non-Big Leaguers are not common unless it's just a numbers game, but those two aren't going to get caught in the numbers game due to their draft status.

I don't know why they would send Randolph down anyway. He's already passed the Florida St. League. He had a miserable April but is hitting near the league average in May. He's still only 20 and if he went to College, he'd just be getting drafted in two weeks. Those guys would all most likely struggle with AA pitching too in their first go around. I think he might be in between trying to be a power guy and just a hit guy. He showed the pop last year. It hasn't showed up in Reading yet. At least Randolph appears to have a decent approach which helps. I still hate that they moved him right to LF after he was drafted. Put so much pressure on the bat. I actually think he's going to be a good hitter in his prime, at least a platoon worthy, but I don't know how much value you are getting otherwise.

Moniak was most likely a PR promotion. Having the #1 pick repeat low-A isn't a good look and doing it mid-season the next year isn't either. You could also blame fatigue last year. He was fine in the 1st half and hit 3 walls in the second half. Moniak is odd. You can see why they liked him when you watch him. He's athletic. He has a beautiful LH swing. Great defensively. The pitch recognition is just so bad and that's the danger of taking HS hitters. He has been getting about a hit a game lately but with no walks, and no power. If he fails again this year, he'll be repeating Clearwater next year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He had a lot of movement pre-swing last year. I think they tried to tone it down. Also Virginia teaches their hitters to hit groundballs and low line drives which obviously isn't ideal in the big leagues. That was the one thing I was hesitant about with him last year. If you want to feel better look what Pavin Smith is doing in a hitter friendly league. Haseley seems to be coming into form now. 2-4 tonight with another double and a walk. The walk rate is poor, but he has a track record of drawing walks so if he's still walking 3% of the time in AA or AAA, I'll start to worry. I also wonder how much it is stressed at the lower levels. No one really has great BB numbers. It is obviously stressed with Kapler and the big club. If the K-rate is over 20% I would also start to worry.

Demotions for non-Big Leaguers are not common unless it's just a numbers game, but those two aren't going to get caught in the numbers game due to their draft status.

I don't know why they would send Randolph down anyway. He's already passed the Florida St. League. He had a miserable April but is hitting near the league average in May. He's still only 20 and if he went to College, he'd just be getting drafted in two weeks. Those guys would all most likely struggle with AA pitching too in their first go around. I think he might be in between trying to be a power guy and just a hit guy. He showed the pop last year. It hasn't showed up in Reading yet. At least Randolph appears to have a decent approach which helps. I still hate that they moved him right to LF after he was drafted. Put so much pressure on the bat. I actually think he's going to be a good hitter in his prime, at least a platoon worthy, but I don't know how much value you are getting otherwise.

Moniak was most likely a PR promotion. Having the #1 pick repeat low-A isn't a good look and doing it mid-season the next year isn't either. You could also blame fatigue last year. He was fine in the 1st half and hit 3 walls in the second half. Moniak is odd. You can see why they liked him when you watch him. He's athletic. He has a beautiful LH swing. Great defensively. The pitch recognition is just so bad and that's the danger of taking HS hitters. He has been getting about a hit a game lately but with no walks, and no power. If he fails again this year, he'll be repeating Clearwater next year.

I saw where USA Today says the 1st overall is wide open and that Bart could be their pick. thought that was interesting.

Also saw Keith Law's rankings, has Bohm at 5 and Madrigal at 12 which is surprising.

I'm not as worried about Haseley as I am MM and Randolph from the little i've seen of all 3. I've seen a little of Randolph lately and he did have a few nice swings so maybe he's getting it going. Just concerning when a 1st round pick that is said to have a good hit tool can't hit in that Reading park. MM I only saw a few times last year with Lakewood and was surprised that he was a 1st overall pick. I've got the Milb.tv package but since Lakewood got added this year I've been watching them mostly, would like to see MM there to get his confidence going.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I saw where USA Today says the 1st overall is wide open and that Bart could be their pick. thought that was interesting.
Could be serious, but also could be for leverage purposes. I watched some of Mize today and Texas A&M hit him around pretty good. Two wild pitches. As crazy as his BB:KK numbers are going to be at the end of the year, he's probably going to have an ERA over 3 on draft day. Might be running out of steam which is a little concerning.

Also saw Keith Law's rankings, has Bohm at 5 and Madrigal at 12 which is surprising.
5 and 11. He has 5 High School players in his top 8. It's easy to do that when you don't have a job on the line, but teams at the top are going to go after the safe college guys.

He's always been the low guy on Madrigal because he's a 5'8 2B and he doesn't think he'll have any power. I don't know how you could have any confidence projecting power in the Big Leagues with the balls they are using. Look at the leaderboards. Betts, Jose Ramirez, Lindor, etc. No one projected those guys to hit for the kind of power they are hitting for, but if you are a good enough hitter and you square enough of these balls up, things are going to happen. I know the game is pretty much a 3 outcome game at the moment (walks, strikeouts, and HR's) but everything is cyclical and with the high fastball coming into play more, I think teams will start to value the high contact guy more. Madrigal is striking out 3% of the time in a Power Conference. That's what would intrigue me, but Keith also says the Phillies aren't going to take him.

What the Phillies are probably thinking with Bohm is it's a chance to take a guy with plus power. Their last 3 first rounders were drafted mostly for their bats but had questionable power. He and Bart are the only guys that are going to give you plus power potential, but Bohm has a better chance of hitting and he probably has a better chance of being on the board. Bohm has a lot of Kris Bryant like qualities, but expecting that level of player is pretty optimistic, but they are there in the same was as the Hoskins/Goldschmidt comps. The one concern I have on Bohm is he's going to be 22 in August. Little old for the class. His season ended today, so hopefully if you draft him, you get him signed quickly, get him started in Lakewood right away and hope he moves quick and maybe he starts in Reading next year.

Reactions: montreal

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Listening to John Stolnis' podcast and he had Jeff Israel who watches alot of minors and seems like he has a good handle on the draft prospects.

Seems very unlikely that Mize falls to 3, but if he did, the Phillies should take him quickly, but he also said that all signs point to Bohm as the pick (Unless he's taken #1 or #2).

Also said if he had to choose 1 projected Top 10 guy to stay away from, it would be Swaggerty (which sucks, because that name is fire)

Reactions: klutch

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Keith Law has Swaggerty 4th. He has the best tools of the college guys and plays in the middle of the diamond. But he’s hitting below .300 and striking out a lot in the Sun Belt so a lot of risk there. Sounds like he’s going to go closer to 10 than 1 anyway.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
was so hoping Nola could have gotten that out and kept the no hitter going although I think they wouldn't have let him pitch the 8th. But a nice win for sure.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
What Ohtani is doing as a pitcher & hitter is pretty amazing.
I try to watch as many Angels games as possible because of him.
He's their ace on the mound and their second best bat behind the best bat in the world in Trout.
Just insane the amount of talent between those 2

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Phils are barely winning, but their offense is terrible right now. Hoskins and Kingery are absolute zeroes.

Neither can either walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad