GDT: 2018 Other Playoff Games Part II

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
:dunno:

I'm not a GM, nor do I play one on TV.

Just speculating. What is the market rate? If he goes to arbitration, what comparables are there?

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
:dunno:

I'm not a GM, nor do I play one on TV.

Just speculating. What is the market rate? If he goes to arbitration, what comparables are there?

The absolute upper end would be something like the contract Tarasenko signed in 2015 ($7.5x8) but he had a longer track record than Karlsson.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Karlsson has 2 more years before UFA? I bet Vegas will offer a high-cap-hit 1 year deal (e.g., 7M) for him because they have lots of cap flexibility next year. If I am correct -- he will be an RFA still at the end of the next year still, and they get one more year of sample-sizing to see if he is worth the big bucks long-term. If he regresses, then you can sign him to a lower deal that eats up UFA years. Trading him is also a good option.

Reactions: Phu

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Karlsson has 2 more years before UFA? I bet Vegas will offer a high-cap-hit 1 year deal (e.g., 7M) for him because they have lots of cap flexibility next year. If I am correct -- he will be an RFA still at the end of the next year still, and they get one more year of sample-sizing to see if he is worth the big bucks long-term. If he regresses, then you can sign him to a lower deal that eats up UFA years. Trading him is also a good option.

There’s no way Karlsson will take a one-year deal. He knows he’s not likely to repeat this season statistically.

Reactions: Phu

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
In arbitration, can he get term? Or is it just the value that can be debated?

I can’t remember exactly the rules but I think the party who doesn't choose to go to arbitration gets to choose whether it’s a one year deal or a two year deal. So if Vegas takes Karlsson to arbitration, Karlsson can say “two years” and that contract will take him straight to UFA. But I could be totally wrong. Someone with a better understanding of the process, feel free to correct me.

Mar 1, 2002
I love going to Vegas. I may retire there. I loved that they got a hockey team, I knew the city would support them and it would be a success.

But.....I hate the Knights now. Hate 'em. 12 teams have played about 250 seasons of hockey and have never won The Cup. If they get one in season 1? Nah....not cheering for that at all.

Pretty sure I would feel differently if I was a fan of Chicago or the Pens. But my first favorite team was the Caps. Then the Sharks. Now, the Jackets are right there for me as well. I am 0-80 years in getting a Cup.

Goddamnit.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
In arbitration, can he get term? Or is it just the value that can be debated?

I can’t remember exactly the rules but I think the party who doesn't choose to go to arbitration gets to choose whether it’s a one year deal or a two year deal. So if Vegas takes Karlsson to arbitration, Karlsson can say “two years” and that contract will take him straight to UFA. But I could be totally wrong. Someone with a better understanding of the process, feel free to correct me.

Arbitration. The party that did not elect arbitration can select 1 or 2 years (up to eligibility of UFA).

The thing with arbitration is that each party has to select other **RFA** deals out there to compare. Look for similarly aged players with similar offensive #s.

(But parties can negotiate new deal up to when arbitration award is announced. And it doesn't have to be just 1-2 years.)

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Backstrom is like a poor man’s Joe Thornton in the playoffs.

Shoot the puck, drive the net...

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Less than 50 seconds, and Washington up 3-0.

Guessing that means there's a game 7 on Wednesday.

Multiple sources indicate that game 1 of SCF will be Monday.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Superb game from Washington, and Holtby in particular. That’s the Trotz defensive hockey we all love.

mooncalf

Mar 15, 2017
San Jose
I know everybody thinks Tampa is the superior team, but Washington has largely outplayed them this series. Game 7 will be fun

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
The lightning have been to the conference finals 5 times in there history. Every single one of them has gone to game 7. As of right now they are 2-2 in those games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->