OT: 2018 Olympic Hockey Talk

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Good to see Canada rebound with the bronze. Not medalling at all would have been bad, even though the competition was tighter.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Why dosent Roman cervenka play in the nhl the guy can play only 32 years old plays center
Exactly!

This is why a Team Canada, without NHL'ers, will always be hard pressed to win a Gold medal! Not impossible, but, a lot harder to accomplish for sure!

The other hockey countries seem to have a larger pool of skilled hockey players that are not in the NHL. The top skilled players from both Canada and the U.S.A play in the NHL.

So, Team Canada and Team U.S.A are disadvantaged when the NHL says no! JMHO.

Reactions: LarryO

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Considering the talent pool we had available, a bronze medal is a worthy accomplishment.

I'm genuinely happy for this group of guys. They busted their asses throughout the tournament and didn't deserve to go home empty handed. For many of them, this will be the highlight of their careers.

Reactions: Al14

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
I watched every game Canada played. Only players I recognised were Mason Raymond and Scrivens.

Their last couple of games were live at 1am here.
I thought they did well considering their roster and they still have a chance to medal. Only allowed 4 goals in the tournament prior to the semi final. Defensive blunders and average goaltending cost them against the Germans imo.

Germans played an amazing game but almost let it slip.
I hope they continue their winning ways. Good on them.

Canadas Olympics has been pretty impressive and they sit 3rd on the table last I looked. I have enjoyed every minute of these Olympics and if Canada did well where they traditionally do they would be higher up the table.

Still ahead of the Yanks tho so that pretty good.

But only just ahead of little old NZ :sarcasm:

What about Kozun? Derek Roy? Wojtek Wolski?

After "Russia" we had the most experienced roster

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Now that this tournament has passed without NHL participation for the first time in 20 years, I'm conflicting in my thoughts.

On one hand, my care factor for this tournament was near zero without the NHLers. On the other, I know this was a great opportunity for the lesser knowns and castoffs to enjoy the Olympic dream and this was their ultimate career highlight.

Business wise, I get (somewhat, but not really) why the NHL wouldn't want its players to go. Then again, would I easily give up and delay four to six Leaf games every four years to watch the best players in the sport come together on the greatest sporting stage? Without a single doubt.

I still think the league duffed this.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
I'd hope they make overtures at making the World Cup more legit now. No more gimmick teams and just the best players from each nation.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
1-1 halfway through the game. Don't think many saw this game playing out this way... Could turn at any moment, but great to see the Germans making this a game.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Crazy game...in the 3rd, Germany scores with about 3 min left to take a 3-2 lead, then OAR scores a short-handed goal with less than 1 minute left to tie the game! Onto overtime!

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Germany too inexperienced holding that lead late in the third. They all converged on the puck like moths to a lightbulb. Oh well. Russia wins when the talent pool is severely depleted.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Seeing Germany blow it brought back memories of 2010 when Zach Parise tied the game against Canada with 24 seconds left. Although at least we didn't get the same ending to the game. Still I always thought if Russia wins Gold it will because the NHL did not want to participate and I hope no one in Russia assumes this makes them the best Hockey country, because to me this is no different than Russia winning the World Hockey Championships during the spring time, since that is also not best on best.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Didn't really care for the game but wanted Germany to win as the underdogs, and it's hard for me to cheer the Russians- probably because they are our rivals.

As it pertains to the Leafs- Said it in the prospects thread but Gusev sold me.....he's close to Panarin caliber IMO (I don't think he'll be as good in the NHL because he'll have less open ice and because Panarin is a better playmaker and I'm still speculative about his board work).....but the talent is there. Everytime I watch him play a international event, he's electric out there.....his playstyle reminds me of TJ Oshie.

Voynov is still clearly NHL-caliber but I won't get into him.

NJDraft

Feb 27, 2002
Germany had their chance in regulation...

"Damn, Kovalchuk's still got it

He does but he didn't come to play every night in the NHL. He could have been a more dominant forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->