OT: 2018 Olympic Hockey Talk

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Hockey IS the winter games. Blame the NHL all you want but they are perfectly happy where they are. The IOC decided to hit the hornet nest to start all this and it's already becoming a joke......not that anyone at the IOC will pay a price for this debacle......any more than Russia is paying a price for the biggest doping scandal in history.

Fully expect NHLers to be at the next games with the conditions they wanted this time around......unless the IOC wants to bank on the NHL not learning from it's first mistake and holding a non-gimmicky World Cup.

Does the IOC really want hockey in the Olympics to become soccer in the Olympics?

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
With any luck our scouts at the games will get a chance to eyeball some more free European wallets that can be picked up over the next year or so to help replenish our prospect cupboard as our best graduates to replace our departing UFAs.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Hockey IS the winter games. Blame the NHL all you want but they are perfectly happy where they are. The IOC decided to hit the hornet nest to start all this and it's already becoming a joke......not that anyone at the IOC will pay a price for this debacle......any more than Russia is paying a price for the biggest doping scandal in history.

Fully expect NHLers to be at the next games with the conditions they wanted this time around......unless the IOC wants to bank on the NHL not learning from it's first mistake and holding a non-gimmicky World Cup.

Does the IOC really want hockey in the Olympics to become soccer in the Olympics?

To be honest, I don't want them to go and disrupt the season for 2 weeks. Not a fan of international hockey at all. It's quite boring, actually. If the NHL never goes to the Olympics ever again, that will be fine by me.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
My Thoughts: Bettman and the NHL owners suck.
Agreed, I miss them not being there, but none the less I am interested in how we do without them, hopefully win gold and cement Canada as THE hockey nation. :cool:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Amazing how the attitude about this has changed among the radio hosts in this city

6 months ago - NHL not going to Olympics? This sucks. Stupid Bettman. I hate this

Now - I wouldnt get up at 2AM anyways. Im glad they arent there.

Reactions: Anthrax442 and Al14

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
I would have hated to have the league shut down right at this point in the year with the leafs getting really hot lately hah.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
The Olympics are really the only time where best against best world wide occurs nation wise. The NHL can certainly afford a two week break every 4 years. Not like there is no advanced notice. Should let the players decide IMHO.
It's a plus for NHL and IOC to have them there.
At the end of the day I lose no sleep over this cause Leafs are awesome!

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
When is a ban not a ban... at the Olympics of course!

If they're going to ban a country for CHEATING, then BAN THEM for REAL!

Instead of playing word games calling an athlete or team 'Olympic Athlete(s) from Russia.' Just tell them ALL to stay home! Russia IS NOT truly being PUNISHED for doping when some of their athletes can can still take home medals! The 'clean' athletes would then have cause to urge their country to stop the CHEATING!

I would have allowed all Russian athletes to compete and drug tested them up the whazoo! I also would have declared all of their results to be null and void when it came to earning medals. Allow them all to 'compete', but, don't allow any of their result to be official.

Now, that would have been a better way to punish Russia IMHO.

Last edited:

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I still boo on the NHL for the situation playing out as it has. Would have enjoyed watching the crazy Canadian powerhouse or the impact other stars we’ve got could have made. But such is. Will just keep an eye on the results they see if something ridiculous like Canada not winning a game or Slovenia winning gold happens. Better shot is probably Slovenia between those.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
games began today.

Slovakia beat Russia
Slovenia beat USA

Quite amazing :laugh:

Finland and Germany play at 10pm

Nothing should surprise anyone in this tournament. The traditional superpowers are the teams that have been affected the most, as all their best players aren't available. The weaker clubs have rosters with players that have played together in the past for their national team, so they probably have an edge.

I'll still be rooting for Canada obviously, but I won't be devastated if they don't win a medal.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Hockey is the main reason I get into the Winter Olympics, and it obviously has very little appeal without the NHL. In past years I’ve loved the Winter Olympics, and followed them super closely, but I’ll barely be paying attention this year.

It’s really too bad IMO, a great tourney for hockey fans all over the world. Pretty selfish and shitty move by the NHL, but hey, I guess it’s their move to make.

Reactions: OppositeLocK

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I’m more interested in amateur Olympic Hockey than when the NHLers go. This adds a level of “anything can happen”.

The women’s hockey so far has been great too, though the reffing has been questionable to say the least

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Nice to see Scrivens having a strong start. I have a soft spot for him since he played for the Leafs.
I still like him, unfortunately, he was never a candidate to be a starting goalie in the NHL.

I hope he can win Gold!

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
No upset of Team Canada today, unlike Team U.S.A. and the Olympic Team from Russia (such BS)!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Anyone up for the game this morning?

Pretty good start for Canada so far.
With the NHLers involved the whole country would be pretty much shut down right now. This year, many including myself, don't know the game is on or who they're playing.

Have to admit as much as I love the Olympics I find this one to be very difficult to follow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad