2018 ohl draft April 7th

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
Was at Clarington-Whitby tonight. Not really a marquee matchup but just wanted to get out to a game. Admittedly was mostly watching Clarington kids as they had the higher profile players.

Clarington
Thompson- Great all around D. Decent skating, good hands, great IQ, good size. Made some good breakout passes.
Jacob- Not very point saavy but played a great defensive game. Made some good blocks on the penalty kill, seems to have a good head for the game
McCullough- Although he has good point totals on the season, didn't do anything spectacular tonight. Had some nice give and go's with Cardwell on the PP
Cardwell- Showed great skill (although he tried a few too many toe-drags on defenders for my liking) but had a few goals that were impressive. Although smallish, used his body and edges well. Had a couple interceptions in the neutral zone that led to chances and goals. Good speed
Poulin- Almost doubled his PIMs on the season but showed good speed
Robertson- Positionally sound goalie. Made a few good reaction saves on tips. Didn't get any good look at his side-to-side movement. Kinda small though

Whitby-
Two guys that stood out to me were Perry and Henry. Both good all-around forwards. Showed good edgework, skating.

Tristen123

Nov 7, 2017
I wouldn't take it to the bank, but Spencer Smith from Niagara could certainly factor in. He's a better player than similar sized guys that went in the second half of the 1st round this year; but there's a lot of hockey left to be played and he's also in a much more competitive draft crop.

Colby Ambrosio projects favourably as well right now and will be another player that's watched closely this season.

Dylan Dekoe is another top prospect who is under rated from the Niagara region he has great speed, and also a quick release i have seen him make some great plays he has great vision also. Defiantly a player to watch.
any top Niagara propects?

Tristen123

Nov 7, 2017
I wouldn't take it to the bank, but Spencer Smith from Niagara could certainly factor in. He's a better player than similar sized guys that went in the second half of the 1st round this year; but there's a lot of hockey left to be played and he's also in a much more competitive draft crop.

Colby Ambrosio projects favourably as well right now and will be another player that's watched closely this season.

Dylan Dekoe STA 50 points in 34 games last season and off to a great start

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Mississauga Rebels vs Toronto Red Wings, October 26th

#65 Max Bronstine Mississauga Rebels: Big ice is the ideal setting to watch this player. He relished the room afforded him and made several rushes up the ice taking advantage of the extra space. The Red Wings had no answer. Showing off another gear with the puck on his stick, Had an energetic gait that frequently caught Red Wings players off balance. Zealously creates offense with the puck on his stick, sticking around deep in the offensive zone to support as a fourth forward. Though, a more defensively responsible performance from Bronstine than previous viewings, as he recovered position well and displayed better decision making on when to commit to deep position. In the defensive zone, demonstrated superior edge work and mobility to alleviate pressure. He had a great sequence where he eluded two pursuers deep in own zone with tight escapes and bursts of speed. His mobility was a factor all over the ice, and he checked most of the boxes for a modern two way defenseman. Needs to build lower body strength, as he was separated from the puck physically with some ease. He had a couple of spills while slowing down from 60-0 because of weakness in his legs. Added strength will do wonders for him.

#25 Kyle Jackson Toronto Red Wings: The Red Wings had a short bench and so Jackson was double shifted. Though, I get the feeling that's a regular occurrence(I only have one other viewing, vs the Marlies at the Titans tournament, and have no recollection how he was deployed). Jackson was on the ice for 55-60% of the game. Halfway through, I thought the work load was effecting his energy level, and though I don't doubt it did, I came to understand that's just his style. He likes to stealthily roam around the ice, calculating attacks. And it was effective. He didn't explode down the ice while forechecking, but was persistent and rung every little bit out of his edges to stick with defenders as they tried to escape his pursuit. He managed half a dozen turnovers and another half dozen disruptive plays that disturbed the Rebels break out. A combination of persistence, quick hands, and sneaky presence made him an effective 200 foot presence. He also showed off a sixth sense for anticipating puck movement and escape decisions of opposing D men and effectively gained body position on defenders, pressing them into poor decisions. He also used this anticipation to cut off passing lanes of defenders with his reach-The sort of habitual forecheck that is anticipated and rarely disruptive, but he caught Dmen by surprise on more than one occasion.

He showed an ability to create offense from all areas of the ice. Though, he's not an explosive player, he uses change of speed and edge work/balance to rush the puck very effectively, showing off elite hands to swiftly maneuver around players. Once in open ice, likes to distribute and set up a possession sequence in the offensive zone. Had a couple of terrific zone entries where he showed off a mix of poise, soft hands in distribution and no look passes to set up plays. Off the puck, he's calculating and elusive, finding effective, open position. This lead to an easy goal from five feet in. His smarts and change of speed/edge work made him very difficult to track for the Rebels, and he frequently managed to get lost in coverage. On the powerplay, he took over with his poise and elite puck skills. Rebels couldn't pin him or even square him up. Even though he willingly distributed, he very rarely needed to hand it off to alleviate pressure. Displayed some terrific vision to hit guys across high traffic areas, and soft hands to chip and saucer them.

All around impactful performance, even had a cheeky stick lift on the face off. Had thought he merely blended into the crop of above average GTHL forwards this year after the Marlies game, but perhaps he only needed an adjustment period...And that it's hard to accurately judge players against the top minor midget program in the province. My bad!

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Rising on my board:

Kyle Jackson F Toronto Red Wings

Ethan Cardwell F Clarington Toros

Ryan Smith F North Central Predators

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Thescout.ca has a new top 10 up, and priority selection has some old rankings.

Top forwards are really tight beyond Byfield, Peterson and Perfetti, so I don't feel comfortable yet posting a ranking.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
There's quite a few physically immature guys who will climb with more development. More so than in recent drafts, imo.

Last edited:

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Scout.ca released a top 10 for free and a top 50 and HM's for paying viewers.

Priority Selection just put up a new top 10 on their website yesterday with full rankings coming out at the end of the month for paying customers.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Top forwards are really tight beyond Byfield, Peterson and Perfetti, so I don't feel comfortable yet posting a ranking

On D.Peterson. Any recent viewings people can comment on? His current point totals - especially for that league- appear utterly underwhelming considering the hype around this player..? so whats the scoop

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
Top forwards are really tight beyond Byfield, Peterson and Perfetti, so I don't feel comfortable yet posting a ranking

On D.Peterson. Any recent viewings people can comment on? His current point totals - especially for that league- appear utterly underwhelming considering the hype around this player..? so whats the scoop
Could be that he plays vs 15-16yr olds in Ottawa possibly I believe..I’ve seen him and he is very good and deserves to be in that area if he makes ohl a commitment

Petey3329

May 27, 2008
Rough weekend for the power house YSE team also rough few games in league play leading up to border battles.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
Rough weekend for the power house YSE team also rough few games in league play leading up to border battles.
tough border battle playing against older powerhouse teams like mission and honeybaked watched some of it ..byfield was still pretty good at times, bar was smooth and calm size enabled him to play vs older kids and butler showed strength going wide using size to cut to net effectively some of the others werent as effective vs older stronger players but doesnt diminsh their skill vs same age group theyll get stronger as time moves along

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Here are the scores from the Border Battle for each team.

YSE: GF 2. GA 18

vs Mission 16U - Lost 2-0
vs Oakland Jr Grizzlies 16U - Lost 9-1
vs Honeybaked 16U - Lost 7-2

Reps: GF 7 GA 9

vs Honeybaked 16U - Lost 3-1
vs Mission 16U - Lost 3-2
vs Oakland Jr Grizzlies 16U - Won 4-3

VK: GF 10 GA 4

vs Oakland Jr Grizzlies 16U - Won 4-2
vs Honeybaked 16U - Won 2-0
vs Team Illinois 16U - Won 4-2

JRC: GF 4. GA 8

vs CYA U16 - Won 2-1
vs Compuware U16 - Lost 2-0
vs Mission 16U - Lost 5-2

NYR: GF 6 GA 10

vs Team Illinois U16 - Won 4-3
vs CYA U16 - Lost 3-0
vs Compuware U16 - Lost 4-2

SC Panthers: GF 4. GA 15

vs Compuware U16 - Lost 6-2
vs Team Illinois U16 - Lost 7-2
vs CYA U16 - Lost 2-0

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Not too surprising. YSE gets by on being absolutely stacked with talent. Not a great TEAM though...yet. Mississauga Reps are kind of the inverse of this.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
Here are the scores from the Border Battle for each team.

YSE: GF 2. GA 18

vs Mission 16U - Lost 2-0
vs Oakland Jr Grizzlies 16U - Lost 9-1
vs Honeybaked 16U - Lost 7-2

Reps: GF 7 GA 9

vs Honeybaked 16U - Lost 3-1
vs Mission 16U - Lost 3-2
vs Oakland Jr Grizzlies 16U - Won 4-3

VK: GF 10 GA 4

vs Oakland Jr Grizzlies 16U - Won 4-2
vs Honeybaked 16U - Won 2-0
vs Team Illinois 16U - Won 4-2

JRC: GF 4. GA 8

vs CYA U16 - Won 2-1
vs Compuware U16 - Lost 2-0
vs Mission 16U - Lost 5-2

NYR: GF 6 GA 10

vs Team Illinois U16 - Won 4-3
vs CYA U16 - Lost 3-0
vs Compuware U16 - Lost 4-2

SC Panthers: GF 4. GA 15

vs Compuware U16 - Lost 6-2
vs Team Illinois U16 - Lost 7-2
vs CYA U16 - Lost 2-0[/QUOTE
thanks NA thats great....look at those Reps go they get a real team effort-- gonna be tough to beat again!

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
All I can say is it's less than 48 hours to Silver Stick, and as a scout, this is damn near Christmas! This is where you cut a lot of wheat from the chaffe, and teams start really focusing on who to scratch off their list. Big, big weekend.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
All I can say is it's less than 48 hours to Silver Stick, and as a scout, this is damn near Christmas! This is where you cut a lot of wheat from the chaffe, and teams start really focusing on who to scratch off their list. Big, big weekend.
its only big for scouts because most teams are all in one spot i wouldnt say it separates anyone as it depends on matchups etc most teams i believe have meetings this weekend so maybe that makes sense as a high performer will be fresh in their minds but there is a long way to go before any final lists are made..but definately going gonna be fun

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
If anyone has updates or thoughts on players I'd love to see them. Big tournament but I can't make it unfortunately

Reactions: TheCoach

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
The Marlies look like a Jr. team. Terrific skating club with some large forwards that can really move. Moore and Drysdale on the backend are an absolute joy to watch.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Cameron Tolnai was at it again tonight. He's nasty. Should go top 10 next draft , could be moving up into top 5 if he keeps this up

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Moore vs Drysdale? My choice is Moore. The most dangerous attribute between the two of these players is Moore's IQ and everything that is going on in his head. His intuition, fast processor, recovery, vision of all 10 players. He is by far the smartest player on his team.

Ryan Alexander #13 has the best compete level on his team. Hard to play against due to his work ethic putting pressure on the D. Works the hardest away from the puck.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Moore vs Drysdale? My choice is Moore. The most dangerous attribute between the two of these players is Moore's IQ and everything that is going on in his head. His intuition, fast processor, recovery, vision of all 10 players. He is by far the smartest player on his team.

Ryan Alexander #13 has the best compete level on his team. Hard to play against due to his work ethic putting pressure on the D. Works the hardest away from the puck.

Interesting take. I'd take Drysdale for sure. I think he could step into the OHL tomorrow. Moore is very good too but at the next level is just behind Drysdale to me

I'd be fine taking Drysdale in the top 5 overall picks. Moore I'd take later in the 1st

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017

yes ive been telling people that very thing moores IQ is just a tad higher than Drysdale i believe and i wouldnt be surprised if he went ahead of drysdale but either are excellent for sure!

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
Interesting take. I'd take Drysdale for sure. I think he could step into the OHL tomorrow. Moore is very good too but at the next level is just behind Drysdale to me

I'd be fine taking Drysdale in the top 5 overall picks. Moore I'd take later in the 1st
yeah i think if teams choose wisely all first round picks will be impactful next year and most are huge kids or highly intelligent and fantastic skaters awesome to watch these great matchups at silver stick! All the top guys didnt disappoint one bit

Reactions: howndawg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->