2018 ohl draft April 7th

Jsless23

May 5, 2017
Certainly! Kallaway Mercer is already with the Marlboros and will be back there next year.

It looks like you'll probably see Jack Thompson make his way into the GTHL, as well, with Vaughan being the likely landing spot.

friend of kallaways, Where around do you think he will be draft

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Most of the top players in the age group are at the WSI this week.

I would say that the top players put out there by Priority Selection would be questioned hard by the scouting community after this week.

Some perceived top players did not perform when playing with and against other top talent.

It is one thing to dominate weak competition but how do you do in big events against world class competition, in front of large crowds and lots of scouts.

Some players really took a step backwards and some have really taken a step forward and the list is out of date less than a week since it was released.

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
Most of the top players in the age group are at the WSI this week.

I would say that the top players put out there by Priority Selection would be questioned hard by the scouting community after this week.

Some perceived top players did not perform when playing with and against other top talent.

It is one thing to dominate weak competition but how do you do in big events against world class competition, in front of large crowds and lots of scouts.

Some players really took a step backwards and some have really taken a step forward and the list is out of date less than a week since it was released.

Certainly, but you're also putting an awful lot of stock in:

1) A very small sample size
2) A summer hockey tournament that has far from a traditional game structure

Like any draft, there's going to be volatility and guys will fluctuate all season long. Could this tournament be the first indication that's happening? Sure. It could also be nothing more than a flash in the pan.

This tends to happen every year at the WSI as it's really the only type of event where you're getting all the top guys out. There's this tendency to want to make rash decisions based on what transpires from it but history will show no shortage of players that fit into either group above. I know people are going to be on the "Dylan Peterson ain't that good, look at his stats!" train, but let's wait until the 17/18 season plays out until you really want to hitch your wagon to that notion.

To answer those questions, patience is virtue.

...oh, and the exact same conversations will happen in about a month at the US Select 15 Camp.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Appreciate the response and agree with a lot of what you said. Patience is a virtue. That's why declaring a top 20 or top 200 of kids based on limited viewings and heavily skewed to kids that have fully grown, is premature.

The thing is when watching the top players this week that didn't have success, it just isn't stats, it's watching these top kids at WSI compete with and against each other top kids, and then you get a real sense of who is and who isn't a difference maker at this level. You get a real idea of who has had success over the last year because they were were men first in the puberty race, and who has the hockey sense to make hockey plays at the highest levels.

Just because you are big and skate fast didn't guarantee a player success this week, when everyone at this age is starting to grow and everyone can skate. Skill and hockey IQ are the difference makers when these kids play against the best.

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
Appreciate the response and agree with a lot of what you said. Patience is a virtue. That's why declaring a top 20 or top 200 of kids based on limited viewings and heavily skewed to kids that have fully grown, is premature.

The thing is when watching the top players this week that didn't have success, it just isn't stats, it's watching these top kids at WSI compete with and against each other top kids, and then you get a real sense of who is and who isn't a difference maker at this level. You get a real idea of who has had success over the last year because they were were men first in the puberty race, and who has the hockey sense to make hockey plays at the highest levels.

Just because you are big and skate fast didn't guarantee a player success this week, when everyone at this age is starting to grow and everyone can skate. Skill and hockey IQ are the difference makers when these kids play against the best.

No worries!

I haven't been at the OHL Gold Cup, so I can't put a lot of context to this, but I'm sure many would say similar things about how does - with all due respect - Levi Siau put up 5 points on a team where Tag Bertuzzi has nothing.

Why does Ryan Suzuki only have two goals playing on what should be one of the better teams there.

How did Johnny Beecher only have two points in the OHL Cup? Or why did last summer's Select 15 top scorer, Carson Riddle, not even get an invite to the NTDP Final Selection Camp?

The reality is that it's a tournament and it's a very, very small sample size. Trust your viewings of players in the traditional environment and go from there.

If anything, I'd look to see how kids bounce back - or not - from what might be deemed a subpar showing in a tournament like this. Much will change next year but it won't be because of what happened in Philly. It'll be from what happened September through April.

And could this be the start of a trend? Sure. But as just a few examples above would show; I would strongly encourage people to temper your expectations - good or bad - from a small sample.

Who knows, maybe Dylan Peterson is another Cole Penner (Google him); or he might wind up having a 15-year NHL career and nobody will ever give a second thought to what he did in the 2017 WSI. What happens next season will go a long way towards at least making more of an initial determination.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Top guys in this draft are really something.

I'm convinced the 02 Marlboros could have handled the 01 Marlboros

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Also: I have no idea if Josh Barnes size and skating style will translate to the OHL, but on pure skill, there's only a handful of guys who can hang with him.

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
Top guys in this draft are really something.

I'm convinced the 02 Marlboros could have handled the 01 Marlboros

If they had a little more depth on the backend or one of the top-end goaltenders in net, I don't think you're wrong. Hughes would have obviously been the best player on the ice between the two, but it's a hypothetical I'm sure a few have thought of.

This year's Marlboros team might have one of the biggest forward corps I can remember as five of their forwards will be over 6-foot-2 with a couple others being north of the 6-foot mark.

There's a lot of personalities to manage with a limited amount of minutes to play, but if they come together as a cohesive unit they should be quite formidable. The scary thing? There's a couple other GTHL teams that could still be right there with them.

Also: I have no idea if Josh Barnes size and skating style will translate to the OHL, but on pure skill, there's only a handful of guys who can hang with him.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how he fares this year. His GTHL stint wasn't terribly successful but he found the comfort zone once again back in Ottawa. He needs to hold up better in traffic and contact, but there's no doubting the natural talent he possesses.

silkysnipes15

May 16, 2017
Have any of you guys heard of Toby rizzo? He's a forward for the Elgin middlesex chiefs and is getting a lot of attention from the people in London. Rumour is he is going to play for Vaughn this year. Does anyone know if this is true or if he's really that good and has a shot at getting drafted.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Have any of you guys heard of Toby rizzo? He's a forward for the Elgin middlesex chiefs and is getting a lot of attention from the people in London. Rumour is he is going to play for Vaughn this year. Does anyone know if this is true or if he's really that good and has a shot at getting drafted.

Seen him a half dozen times. He should be a pick but wouldn't consider him high end. He's got some good tools and size so there's room to elevate his game. Time will tell. Have not heard the Vaughan rumblings but it's that time of the year and he won't be the only player from the Alliance headed there.

silkysnipes15

May 16, 2017
Seen him a half dozen times. He should be a pick but wouldn't consider him high end. He's got some good tools and size so there's room to elevate his game. Time will tell. Have not heard the Vaughan rumblings but it's that time of the year and he won't be the only player from the Alliance headed there.

What round do you think he will go in? I've only seen him play once and he apparently to be benched for a long duration of the game and turned the puck over a lot. What do you think his strengths/weaknesses are?

OntarioScout

May 27, 2017
I'm from the London area, mostly watched 01s but skimmed the London/Chiefs 02s a bit at the end of the season. A few names that stood out were Studnicka, Lewis, Diaco, Chantler, Serraglio, Bowers, Rizzo, Alexander. Any word on any of these guys?

And the rumours of Rizzo heading to Vaughan are true

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I think a couple kids from Elgin may end up elsewhere. They may fall a bit in the standings.
Obviously not the same high end talent or depth in London next year but Id guess they will be in the running for a top spot in the Alliance. But much bigger challenges. Some good teams up the 401 I think.
Could be a tight year

cd89

Jan 12, 2016
What guys from London and Elgin do you guys think will get drafted? And whereabouts in the draft?

I would have to say at this point, Serraglio is the most talked about player for that area IMO. Diaco is a personal favourite just based on his style of play. Always at top speed on the ice, hunting for the puck.

Bowers has a fun style that will attract some attention for the Chiefs. Saw him play up with the 01's against Cambridge in playdowns and definitely tried to bring a physical element to his game despite being at a noticeable size disadvantage.

OntarioScout

May 27, 2017
Alexander is one of three 02 Chiefs who have been signed to play on with Waterloo. Looks like a year where EMC has lost a lot of talent to other centres.

There were 3? I heard about Macleod and Alexander, who's the 3rd? And yes, players leaving like Rizzo, Alexander, MacLeod, Depelsmaeker, and lost another player to teenage pregnancy

OntarioScout

May 27, 2017
What guys from London and Elgin do you guys think will get drafted? And whereabouts in the draft?

Seraglio and bowers are definitely atop my list. As for the mid-later rounds, I could see Chantler, Lewis, Studnicka (London), and with all the Chiefs players moving to new teams, it's hard to tell

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
We will see how the Alliance rosters shake out but it's disappointing the EMC would leave their home centre to join teams who were inferior Bantam teams.

Looks like the loophole to move from centre to centre is being taken advantage of already.

RyanHPscout

May 31, 2011
I think I seen that Alexander will be with the Waterloo Wolves

This is correct.

There were 3? I heard about Macleod and Alexander, who's the 3rd? And yes, players leaving like Rizzo, Alexander, MacLeod, Depelsmaeker, and lost another player to teenage pregnancy

Elgin also lost Micallef to London.

Depelsmaeker to my understanding was affected by the change in the border for Elgin/Chatham and tried out (and made) Chatham.

the player lost to teenage pregnancy tried out in London and did not make the team, Elgin didn't sign him and to my understanding isn't playing AAA this year.

Seraglio and bowers are definitely atop my list. As for the mid-later rounds, I could see Chantler, Lewis, Studnicka (London), and with all the Chiefs players moving to new teams, it's hard to tell

Bowers is definitely a prospect for the Chiefs, Babenko has played well when I've seen them, but it'll be a new look team and a great opportunity for players in Elgin to establish themselves as OHL prospects.

We will see how the Alliance rosters shake out but it's disappointing the EMC would leave their home centre to join teams who were inferior Bantam teams.

Looks like the loophole to move from centre to centre is being taken advantage of already.

It wasn't a loophole that was taken advantage of. Essentially what happened was all Elgin area players who would have otherwise had to be cut from EMC before going to other areas were given their F1's if they wanted it. Which is why you saw the top two defensemen that live within the EMC boundaries go to Waterloo and Lambton.

Also, there seems to be some misconceptions I've heard since April about the new open borders in the Alliance. So I'll give a perfect example of how it's not a loophole, just teams/families utilizing the new rule:

There is a defenseman from London, who played in Elgin last year. He tried out for his home centre (London) and was cut and given his F1. Instead of proceeding to Elgin, he now has the choice to report to any one of the 11 team in the Alliance. That player decided he wanted to play for Lambton. This opportunity is available to every player once the midnight deadline comes to offer a player a spot on the roster. Once you're released from your home centre you can join any team, instead of reporting to the next closest.

The open borders rule will probably hurt Elgin more than help them most seasons, but their coaching staff didn't receive any favours when some players were given release before even trying out. But when you look at it from the kid's perspective they're not restricting them if they want to play somewhere else. It's a thin line of wanting to put together your best possible team, and being fair to a kid and their family allowing him to pursue their hockey goals elsewhere if they wish to.

Also which inferior program did Elgin player leave their home centre to play? Unless I'm mistaken the only players who left the Elgin centre to go elsewhere went to Vaughan Kings, Waterloo Wolves and Lambton Jr. Sting.

silkysnipes15

May 16, 2017
How will leaving Elgin help players like rizzo and Alexander? Are they even truly good enough to get drafted and will leaving increase their chances?

RyanHPscout

May 31, 2011
How will leaving Elgin help players like rizzo and Alexander? Are they even truly good enough to get drafted and will leaving increase their chances?

I don't think anyone could answer that question except for them. I would imagine it would have been a personal choice and they felt it was the right decision.

As far as truly good enough to be drafted, from what I see both of them have shown potential. I'm not a fan doing much projecting outside of the top prospects on whether or not players get drafted 10 months before the OHL Draft because at that age players can change and develop some much. Every year there are hyped players that don't reach their potential and kids who aren't talked about that emerge as very good prospects. I see very early stuff come out and I think it can get to people because you have a whole summer where you can't really change opinions much. You can put in the work that will lay the groundwork to change opinions. But there are no league games and no situations really where you can adjust opinions. For me I find it's best to let their play do the talking come September and go from there in determining what their potential is.

In terms of helping or increasing their chances to get drafted. It's tough to answer because I've seen a change in centres help players and hurt players. It's a gamble because you never know what you're gonna get. Sometimes the grass isn't greener on the other side. But in some occasions it can be the right fit.

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Interesting that I saw Andrei Bakanov's name mentioned by one of the posters on here as a potential top 10 prospect. I live about 20 minutes from where the Barons play and got to see them pay about 6 times last year. The way the Tier 1 Elite League works especially with the Barons is they only have 2 league games at home against teams in their division and 2 away with some other opponents that stop in throughout the year. The rest of the games are at league showcases across the country. He really stood out to me with his size and shot in the viewings I had of him. Was one play where he was coming through the top of the slot and caught a pass and let off a hard accurate low shot that beat the goalie. I didn't think many people knew who he was. He was a bright spot on that team last year for sure.

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
Interesting that I saw Andrei Bakanov's name mentioned by one of the posters on here as a potential top 10 prospect. I live about 20 minutes from where the Barons play and got to see them pay about 6 times last year. The way the Tier 1 Elite League works especially with the Barons is they only have 2 league games at home against teams in their division and 2 away with some other opponents that stop in throughout the year. The rest of the games are at league showcases across the country. He really stood out to me with his size and shot in the viewings I had of him. Was one play where he was coming through the top of the slot and caught a pass and let off a hard accurate low shot that beat the goalie. I didn't think many people knew who he was. He was a bright spot on that team last year for sure.

It isn't confirmed yet, but look for him to be wearing a new set of colours next year. But yes, he's certainly got the ability to be a player. The biggest thing for him next year will be finding more game-to-game consistency. He elevated his game towards the end - and considering he was essentially two years younger than the league average - it'll be interesting to see how he does in 16U next year as he profiles better within the age curve of the loop.

As you mentioned, the shot is a legitimate tool that should continue to ensure that he projects as a quality goal scorer at the next level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad