2018 ohl draft April 7th

Mvprice

Mar 4, 2017
Might be really early since the 2017 OHL draft is a week and especially that these kids are still very young but any names that stand out? Are there any so called "phenoms" that are getting lots of attention?

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
Might be really early since the 2017 OHL draft is a week and especially that these kids are still very young but any names that stand out? Are there any so called "phenoms" that are getting lots of attention?

Shaping up to be a quality draft crop thus far as there's more high-end talent and the overall size of this crop is more enticing as well.

Dylan Peterson is the top Ontario prospect right now, although he has a verbal commitment to Boston University which could potentially put him in a very similar situation to Jack Hughes where his future route is cloudy at best.

Aside from that, Quinton Byfield is probably the top candidate for 1st overall in terms of players that are likely going to be fixated on the OHL route; and he's a worthy challenger for that title. There's also a number of other players who could certainly make their way into the conversation next year as well.

Right now there isn't any 03's playing up with the 02's that you'd anoint with any type of phenom title, but we'll see. I would expect we'll see a couple of new faces electing to skip over their bantam season next year.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Some players I like from Alliance and am planning to see what improvements are made:
Ben MacFarlane (Cambridge): Fantastic player. Great skater combined with great vision. Consistently punished London in the Championship winning game.
Duncan Rolleman (Cambridge): Has a decent size/movement combination. Important summer for him coming up.
Sergio Serraglio (London): Great skater who knows how to move the puck up.
George Diaco (London): Consistently London's best forward this year.
Brendan Kennette (Sun County): Excellent defenceman who knows how to skate and forces the defense back with the way he presses the play.
Matthew Maggio (Sun County): He can take over games with offensive talents.

Firecracker

Jul 3, 2015
Dylan Peterson from CIHA is one of the top 02s and Tanner Latsch is one of the best in the US.

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
Some players I like from Alliance and am planning to see what improvements are made:
Ben MacFarlane (Cambridge): Fantastic player. Great skater combined with great vision. Consistently punished London in the Championship winning game.
Duncan Rolleman (Cambridge): Has a decent size/movement combination. Important summer for him coming up.
Sergio Serraglio (London): Great skater who knows how to move the puck up.
George Diaco (London): Consistently London's best forward this year.
Brendan Kennette (Sun County): Excellent defenceman who knows how to skate and forces the defense back with the way he presses the play.
Matthew Maggio (Sun County): He can take over games with offensive talents.

Unfortunately the '02 Alliance crop is in a similar boat to what the '01 Ottawa crop was. Butler and Tullio are the two definite high-end talents, but it drops off after that. You've mentioned some good names there, and it will be interesting to see how their draft seasons go as they've got some work to do in order to move up the board.

The OHF's this weekend were a good example of the talent discrepancy as Cambridge managed their way through the Alliance without much adversity and struggled in Thunder Bay, even against some of the weaker teams in the field.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Peterson and Byfield already mentioned, Jamie Drysdale on the Marlies is very strong, as is William Cuylle. Ditto Cole Perfetti, Jean-Luc Foudy, and Ryan O'Rourke who all played up this year on their respective teams (Whitby, Titans, and Whitby) but will be with Vaughan next season.

Colby Ambrosio was the best player on his '01 team as an '02 with Southern Tier this season. Word is he'll be with Buffalo next season, though I've also heard he could be Vaughan bound.

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
Peterson and Byfield already mentioned, Jamie Drysdale on the Marlies is very strong, as is William Cuylle. Ditto Cole Perfetti, Jean-Luc Foudy, and Ryan O'Rourke who all played up this year on their respective teams (Whitby, Titans, and Whitby) but will be with Vaughan next season.

Colby Ambrosio was the best player on his '01 team as an '02 with Southern Tier this season. Word is he'll be with Buffalo next season, though I've also heard he could be Vaughan bound.

There's going to be A LOT of changes next season in the GTHL, ETA, and SCTA. I've got a running tally going and would almost consider doing a "free agent" tracker on our site if things were officially confirmed, but there's always the risk of moves falling apart at the 12th hour.

As for Ambrosio, I've heard that either Vaughan, Niagara North, or Southern Tier are the likely targets. I hadn't heard about Buffalo, but that would be an intriguing option as well. The Jr. Sabres should have a pretty good 16U team once again next year as they've got some decent 14U talent to make the jump + one of the better 15U teams in the country.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
There's going to be A LOT of changes next season in the GTHL, ETA, and SCTA. I've got a running tally going and would almost consider doing a "free agent" tracker on our site if things were officially confirmed, but there's always the risk of moves falling apart at the 12th hour.

As for Ambrosio, I've heard that either Vaughan, Niagara North, or Southern Tier are the likely targets. I hadn't heard about Buffalo, but that would be an intriguing option as well. The Jr. Sabres should have a pretty good 16U team once again next year as they've got some decent 14U talent to make the jump + one of the better 15U teams in the country.

It's the one consistent thing going from Bantam to MM... revolving door! And it sure doesn't end there... heck, Grant Munden started on the Brampton 45's this season, and ended up on the Jr. Canadiens by Silver Stick!

I hadn't heard about Ambrosio for Niagara North, though he and Spencer Smith would make a heck of a duo on that squad.

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
How does Dylan Peterson compare to Jack Hughes?

In terms of style, they're quite different players; but Peterson is shaping up as the #1 player in the crop thus far.

That said, Peterson is going to have more competition at his heels right from the get-go. I know some people felt Turcotte (or Bertuzzi) were 1B's to Jack Hughes, I personally felt like Hughes has always been the clear-cut #1 in this crop.

For the 02's; Quinton Byfield, Tanner Latsch, Wyatt Schingoethe, and even Ryan Kirwan are all worthy challengers as forwards. While Peterson will go into the season at the top of our board, I wouldn't necessarily bet that it will finish up that way.

cd89

Jan 12, 2016
Unfortunately the '02 Alliance crop is in a similar boat to what the '01 Ottawa crop was. Butler and Tullio are the two definite high-end talents, but it drops off after that. You've mentioned some good names there, and it will be interesting to see how their draft seasons go as they've got some work to do in order to move up the board.

Tullio won't be in the Alliance next season. He's heading to Vaughan Kings to join what looks like on paper to be a powerhouse for next season.

I do agree with earlier posts about Macfarlane, Diaco and Serraglio. Rylan Bowers is another that I have seen good things from this past season in Elgin. Mitch Lee showed lots of promise with the MM club this season for Waterloo and was a force at bantam so interested to see his development.

Also lots of talk about some high end players heading to the Alliance this season. Tryouts have begun so will be interesting to see how everything shapes up.

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
Tullio won't be in the Alliance next season. He's heading to Vaughan Kings to join what looks like on paper to be a powerhouse for next season.

I do agree with earlier posts about Macfarlane, Diaco and Serraglio. Rylan Bowers is another that I have seen good things from this past season in Elgin. Mitch Lee showed lots of promise with the MM club this season for Waterloo and was a force at bantam so interested to see his development.

Also lots of talk about some high end players heading to the Alliance this season. Tryouts have begun so will be interesting to see how everything shapes up.

Yeah, should have clarified regarding Tullio. I'll still consider him an "Alliance" player, in the same ilk I still associate Clarke with the '01 Ottawa crop.

I hear Cambridge has a few moves in the works; so it'll be interesting to see where the dust settles. The All Ontario's was a good indication of where the Alliance is at, though, as they had a pretty easy ride through the playoffs and struggled to make a dent in Thunder Bay.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
In terms of style, they're quite different players; but Peterson is shaping up as the #1 player in the crop thus far.

That said, Peterson is going to have more competition at his heels right from the get-go. I know some people felt Turcotte (or Bertuzzi) were 1B's to Jack Hughes, I personally felt like Hughes has always been the clear-cut #1 in this crop.

For the 02's; Quinton Byfield, Tanner Latsch, Wyatt Schingoethe, and even Ryan Kirwan are all worthy challengers as forwards. While Peterson will go into the season at the top of our board, I wouldn't necessarily bet that it will finish up that way.
So who would you say has more potential or who's a better prospect do you think. Dylan Peterson or Jack Hughes?

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
So who would you say has more potential or who's a better prospect do you think. Dylan Peterson or Jack Hughes?

Sorry, missed this before. Uhh, you could probably go either way really. If you want to be "safe", Peterson likely projects as a better NHL prospect right now because he's got a pro-size frame; but I think they would both have a comparable type of ceiling in the OHL.

anyone wanna try and give a top 5/10?

We just released our Final Top 200 to subscribers for the Bantam season and our top-10 will be public shortly:

1. RC Dylan Peterson / CIH Academy '02 / HEO
2. LC Quinton Byfield / York Simcoe Express '02 / OMHA
3. RD Gerard Keane / Chicago Mission 14U / HPHL
4. RC Tanner Latsch / Team Meijer 14U / INDEP
5. LC Wyatt Schingoethe / Chicago Mission 14U / HPHL
6. LC Ryan Kirwan / Syracuse Nationals 14U / INDEP
7. LD Ryan O'Rourke / Whitby Wildcats '01 / OMHA
8. LD Owen Power / Mississauga Reps '02 / GTHL
9. RW Stephen Halliday / Toronto Marlboros '02 / GTHL
10. LW Andrei Bakanov / Cleveland Barons 16U / TIER 1

There are a lot of tough decisions to make in that group as there's no shortage of talent in the tier just behind him, so it would be more than fair to say that top-10 is far from a consensus and will have a number of variations depending on who you ask.

The bottom line? It's looking like a very talented group.

Last edited:

Petey3329

May 27, 2008
Byfield is a great talent especially on the offensive side of the red line. Personally I like his teammate more in Butler. Complete player and a coaches dream. Byfield is a more dynamic player but I feel Butler competes more and will help open the ice for byfield this year. Should be fun to watch!

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
Byfield is a great talent especially on the offensive side of the red line. Personally I like his teammate more in Butler. Complete player and a coaches dream. Byfield is a more dynamic player but I feel Butler competes more and will help open the ice for byfield this year. Should be fun to watch!

Butler is right there with most of those guys, no doubt. The one thing I'd hold against him relative to that top-end group right now is his skating, which needs to improve. That said, he's still far from done in terms of filling out so hopefully the yet-to-come lower body strength sees a positive correlation there.

Barring a collapse this season, you can pretty much pencil him as a top-10 pick right now with the potential to be in that top rung.

Petey3329

May 27, 2008
I am lucky i get to see a lot of YSE games and ETA this loop has always had talent. Ive been watching since the 93's and played with the 89's so saw lots of the 90-91-92's and every year (maybe not so much this year) the loop produces some high end players its exciting to see local talent ( i know yse recruits more each year) but for the most parts local talent achieve there goals. Should be a great year. Ill be watching mostly YSE and COW this year and hopefully catch a few other teams on the way to those games. Best of luck to all the players and hopefully a quality summer of improvements.

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
I am lucky i get to see a lot of YSE games and ETA this loop has always had talent. Ive been watching since the 93's and played with the 89's so saw lots of the 90-91-92's and every year (maybe not so much this year) the loop produces some high end players its exciting to see local talent ( i know yse recruits more each year) but for the most parts local talent achieve there goals. Should be a great year. Ill be watching mostly YSE and COW this year and hopefully catch a few other teams on the way to those games. Best of luck to all the players and hopefully a quality summer of improvements.

Unfortunately that Central team is on track to be a bit of a shell of what it was last year as there's going to be a number of players wearing different sweaters next year. The loop has actually been raided pretty good by the GTHL in general, as the eastern suburbs from Ajax to Clarington have a lot of their local players calling the 'G' home.

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
Unfortunately that Central team is on track to be a bit of a shell of what it was last year as there's going to be a number of players wearing different sweaters next year. The loop has actually been raided pretty good by the GTHL in general, as the eastern suburbs from Ajax to Clarington have a lot of their local players calling the 'G' home.
If you dont mind me asking, what Clarington kids in the 02 age group are currently/going to be playing in the GTHL this year

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
If you dont mind me asking, what Clarington kids in the 02 age group are currently/going to be playing in the GTHL this year

Certainly! Kallaway Mercer is already with the Marlboros and will be back there next year.

It looks like you'll probably see Jack Thompson make his way into the GTHL, as well, with Vaughan being the likely landing spot.

Last edited:

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
Certainly! Kallaway Mercer is already with the Marlboros and will be back there next year.

It looks like you'll probably see Jack Thompson make his way into the GTHL, as well, with Vaughan being the likely landing spot.
Thanks. I'm a friend of the Thompsons and I had heard rumours but I trust your word

the dog

May 16, 2014
Sorry, missed this before. Uhh, you could probably go either way really. If you want to be "safe", Peterson likely projects as a better NHL prospect right now because he's got a pro-size frame; but I think they would both have a comparable type of ceiling in the OHL.

We just released our Final Top 200 to subscribers for the Bantam season and our top-10 will be public shortly:

1. RC Dylan Peterson / CIH Academy '02 / HEO
2. LC Quinton Byfield / York Simcoe Express '02 / OMHA
3. RD Gerard Keane / Chicago Mission 14U / HPHL
4. RC Tanner Latsch / Team Meijer 14U / INDEP
5. LC Wyatt Schingoethe / Chicago Mission 14U / HPHL
6. LC Ryan Kirwan / Syracuse Nationals 14U / INDEP
7. LD Ryan O'Rourke / Whitby Wildcats '01 / OMHA
8. LD Owen Power / Mississauga Reps '02 / GTHL
9. RW Stephen Halliday / Toronto Marlboros '02 / GTHL
10. LW Andrei Bakanov / Cleveland Barons 16U / TIER 1

There are a lot of tough decisions to make in that group as there's no shortage of talent in the tier just behind him, so it would be more than fair to say that top-10 is far from a consensus and will have a number of variations depending on who you ask.

The bottom line? It's looking like a very talented group.
any top Niagara propects?

PrioritySelection

Hi. I watch hockey.
Dec 22, 2015
www.priorityselection.ca
any top Niagara propects?

I wouldn't take it to the bank, but Spencer Smith from Niagara could certainly factor in. He's a better player than similar sized guys that went in the second half of the 1st round this year; but there's a lot of hockey left to be played and he's also in a much more competitive draft crop.

Colby Ambrosio projects favourably as well right now and will be another player that's watched closely this season.

Reactions: Pinwheels

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->