2018 ohl draft April 7th

cheddar seeker

Sep 12, 2017
From what I have seen, this draft crop should be strong. Much better then last years for sure. There seems to be a lot of size up front and mobility on the back end. I also think there is a couple solid goaltending prospects. Guess only time will tell. Hopefully some elite talent will back out of college commitments. It would have been nice to see what Hughes could do in the OHL.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Yeah, mobility on the back end is a huge strength of this draft.

Speaking of, I'm bumping Gucciardi up to 4th on my Dmen rankings. Always liked him, but he's been dominant versus Vaughan in both playoff games i've seen. The occasional turnovers don't worry me-they aren't lazy mistakes, and can be cleaned up.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Couple other notes from the weekend:

Really like Owen Saye's mix of grit, skill and smarts. Not hard to see him playing up and down an OHL forward core. Gives me some Brendan Gallagher vibes.

So many guys on Don Mills are trending up, for me.

Anthony Lamanna doesn't have much help on Ajax, and yet doesn't really show frustration, and continues to distribute the puck, even though the puck on his stick is almost always the best option. I think everyone knows how talented he is, but I thought this was important to note. I think he'll be very successful, and will wow some people at the OHL gold cup.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
From what I have seen, this draft crop should be strong. Much better then last years for sure. There seems to be a lot of size up front and mobility on the back end. I also think there is a couple solid goaltending prospects. Guess only time will tell. Hopefully some elite talent will back out of college commitments. It would have been nice to see what Hughes could do in the OHL.
i think perfetti is committed to somewhere. I think Michigan

Reactions: LDN and the dog

knulh3

Jan 31, 2018
Who are the top goalie prospects? Anyone coming on strong late in the season?

NTDP

Dec 20, 2010
Cleveland, OH
Another kid I've like from the US this year is Victor Mancini from the Compuware U16 team. Very mobile D man that has some really good escapability and can transition that into offence. Makes a really hard and accurate first pass too. I never checked to see if he was college committed but he's one of few 02 birth years on that team.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
anybody watching some alliance playoffs ? anyone stepping up at all last ive seen the first guy in alliance to be called with be late late 2nd 3rd or does someone think thats wrong? gthl is so strong this year most likely first round from 2 teams sprinkle in eta york simcoe

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
I don't have any Alliance players ranked in the 1st/2nd either. Currently, I like Butler for the 3rd and then a couple guys in the 4th.

Lots of ETA guys ranked highly for me, though.

Question for the community: What round would you draft Aydin Parekh? Pretty obvious what the reservations are, but he's one of the two or three smartest players in this draft.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
He's really clever about diffusing pressure from forecheckers with subtle drop passes, bounces off the board, throwing pucks to the weak side for his partner, or just to dead space in the ice-He's found ways to cut out physical battles for pucks, at least on retrievals in his own end. Makes me think that, in time, he'll adjust to the added speed and less space and time in the O.

MoWanchuk1

Feb 18, 2017
I don't have any Alliance players ranked in the 1st/2nd either. Currently, I like Butler for the 3rd and then a couple guys in the 4th.

Lots of ETA guys ranked highly for me, though.

Question for the community: What round would you draft Aydin Parekh? Pretty obvious what the reservations are, but he's one of the two or three smartest players in this draft.
Yeah you mean lambton butler I believe he’s likely my first player for alliance...yes eta has several high end...parekh mAybe 3rd someone may take in late 2nd but a stretch I think

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Does everyone still agree at this point that Byfield and Drysdale will go one two? Can anyone challenge them for that spot?

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
I don't see anyone challenging Byfield for top spot, but there's 7 or 8 very impressive players beyond Drysdale who teams could fall for. Just speaking purely on talent, not factoring in college commitments.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Yeah you mean lambton butler I believe he’s likely my first player for alliance...yes eta has several high end...parekh mAybe 3rd someone may take in late 2nd but a stretch I think

Yeah, Lambton Butler. YSE Butler I have ranked higher.

Reactions: foghorn

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
I don't see anyone challenging Byfield for top spot, but there's 7 or 8 very impressive players beyond Drysdale who teams could fall for. Just speaking purely on talent, not factoring in college commitments.
i agree with that too depending on teams needs there are a few others in there too

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Byfield goes 1st, Drysdale likely goes second but not for sure, it depends on a few of factors. First is if team believes he is BPA, second, a teams positional needs and lastly will he show up?. Reporting issues may come into play with him and the next few picks looking at who the bottom 5 teams are in the OHL standings.. College commitments will also have a say how the first round plays out. Teams are likely reaching out and seeing if they can get families to change their minds already.

I think you will see something resembling the below for the first two rounds.

ETA - 6
SCTA - 5
GTHL - 22
Ottawa - 2
North - 1
Alliance - 0
Americans - 4

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Does everyone still agree at this point that Byfield and Drysdale will go one two? Can anyone challenge them for that spot?
Byfield IMO is going first hands down. Drysdale at #2 isn't a for sure thing. I am actually leaning towards Lleyton Moore over drysdale. It's close but I think Moore is more edgy and tough to knock off the puck. He is little but he is tough. Moore has been their best player every game I saw.
Both YSE and the marlboros each have a few that can go top 20.
I live closer to aurora but I chose to watch the marlboros tonight over yse. I have watched both game ones but the marlboros kings has been way more intense.

RWML67

Aug 22, 2017
Of course, but Byfield is the top player in the region, including Americans and college commits.
Yes I am aware but other posters saying "Byfield will go 1st hands down" is misleading to the average casual follower of the OHL draft.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Yes I am aware but other posters saying "Byfield will go 1st hands down" is misleading to the average casual follower of the OHL draft.
Have you seen Byfield play? He is a clear cut first overall pick IMO. How is that misleading?

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
I think he's talking about if the player is willing to report to whoever ends up with the 1st over all pick...Which is fair, but I can't speculate on that.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Where he goes, what he chooses to do is beyond my control. But he is IMO the BP in the draft. There are a bunch of guys that can go between 2-7/8, but no clear cut #2. He is for sure #1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad