Patriots/NFL 2018 Offseason - Edelman suspended 4 games for PED violation

Status
Not open for further replies.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

This is the thing that puzzles me the most about this off-season. I would agree that there is “something” going on with B.B./TB12/Gronk and I suspect that it’s tied into Guerrero. Other than that, guys walking away happens every season, but the media is portraying it as something different when it’s not.

As far as the Guerrero stuff, I completely understand why players like Gronk, Brady, Edelman might want to work with him on a personal basis. His methods appear to have had some success within that group (although they apparently cannot prevent ACL injuries in WR’s). They should also understand from the team perspective that it is a difficult situation for B.B. and the Patriots. They employ a medical and training staff that are professional and credentialed.

As far as I know, Guerrero has no medical credentials other than a Master’s in Chinese Medicine from a defunct school. Let us also not forget that he has twice been punished by the FTC. First for promoting a product on infomercials that he said cured cancer in nearly 200 patients and calling himself a doctor (both of which were lies). Later for marketing a drink that supposedly sped up recovery from and helped prevent concussions.

I can’t imagine why the Patriots credentialed medical and training staff might have an issue with Guerrero questioning their recommendations and methods?

I'm sure this issue will get worked out (maybe by Kraft), but I don’t see how the free agency situation is any different from every other offseason in NE.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
The Slater thing makes sense to me honestly. Let him see if someone wants to pay way more than Pats offered. If not he comes back.

He'll be 33, and has missed 10 games the past two seasons to injury.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
This is the thing that puzzles me the most about this off-season. I would agree that there is “something” going on with B.B./TB12/Gronk and I suspect that it’s tied into Guerrero. Other than that, guys walking away happens every season, but the media is portraying it as something different when it’s not.

As far as the Guerrero stuff, I completely understand why players like Gronk, Brady, Edelman might want to work with him on a personal basis. His methods appear to have had some success within that group (although they apparently cannot prevent ACL injuries in WR’s). They should also understand from the team perspective that it is a difficult situation for B.B. and the Patriots. They employ a medical and training staff that are professional and credentialed.

As far as I know, Guerrero has no medical credentials other than a Master’s in Chinese Medicine from a defunct school. Let us also not forget that he has twice been punished by the FTC. First for promoting a product on infomercials that he said cured cancer in nearly 200 patients and calling himself a doctor (both of which were lies). Later for marketing a drink that supposedly sped up recovery from and helped prevent concussions.

I can’t imagine why the Patriots credentialed medical and training staff might have an issue with Guerrero questioning their recommendations and methods?

I'm sure this issue will get worked out (maybe by Kraft), but I don’t see how the free agency situation is any different from every other offseason in NE.

I think the media is making a “thing” out of the departures this off season because the end of the season was a damn circus. Very un-Patriots like so they’re feeding the narrative that the domination and dynasty is coming to an end.

When you look at it logically, you’re right, it’s really not that different or unique. But against the backdrop of a bit of a shitshow, it becomes a storyline.

CLIFFY HOCKEY

Jan 27, 2008
Norton MA
Pats traded for Cordarrelle Patterson. We will have best kick returner in the game and a legit threat on Reverses I guess, 3.2 mil this year is a little steep.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I'm interested to see how they plan to utilize him, especially if they choose to do so on offense.

Having watched Patterson for what seems like years, I always felt that coaches wasted him and his talent and underutilized him. I feel like Bill may have some ideas or plans.

...Or he is just going to return kicks lol

Reactions: 22Brad Park

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
The Slater thing makes sense to me honestly. Let him see if someone wants to pay way more than Pats offered. If not he comes back.

He'll be 33, and has missed 10 games the past two seasons to injury.
Why do we need him at all? Special teams get diminished every year with rule changes and I don't get paying a premium for players who can only play special teams when the skill set seems replaceable and when depth is at a premium

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I'm interested to see how they plan to utilize him, especially if they choose to do so on offense.

Having watched Patterson for what seems like years, I always felt that coaches wasted him and his talent and underutilized him. I feel like Bill may have some ideas or plans.

...Or he is just going to return kicks lol

The Vikings pissed me off with how little they used him. The company line was he couldn't run a tight route but he had some great moments. He has redefined himself as the best returner in the game and a special teams demon. This was a fantastic get for the Pats. Give him a jet sweep and couple carries a game as well.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
I know some fans may be mad at Amendola, Solder and Lewis taking more $$$$ from other teams. But looking at the cap Patriots probably couldn't afford all 3. Not only that but these guys(at least Amendola and Solder) have been playing for a discount for the Pats. All 3 of these guys have SB ring(s) so why not cash in while they can?

I don't think them leaving has anything to do with the Patriots environment and more with them wanting to cash in while they can. Amendola has had concussions, Lewis has had some leg injuries, Neither that old but that young. Cash in and get $$$$ while the window for it is still open.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Saw something about Patterson and Corderelle was the only one I could think of. I am wondering where he fits in.

Edelman
Cooks
Hogan
Mitchell
Britt
Dorsett
Patterson

Pats dont usually keep 6 WR can see Britt or Dorsett being gone.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I remember really wanting Patterson during his draft year, but Minnesota took him with our pick after Bill traded down. I also remember reading his name as Cord-a-rell, then watching a Vikings game and learning it was pronounced Core-Darryl

Elite kick returner, a weapon running reverse sweeps (better than Amendola was at it), and has lined up as an RB in the backfield at times.

Pretty versatile guy, I love this move.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I know some fans may be mad at Amendola, Solder and Lewis taking more $$$$ from other teams. But looking at the cap Patriots probably couldn't afford all 3. Not only that but these guys(at least Amendola and Solder) have been playing for a discount for the Pats. All 3 of these guys have SB ring(s) so why not cash in while they can?

I don't think them leaving has anything to do with the Patriots environment and more with them wanting to cash in while they can. Amendola has had concussions, Lewis has had some leg injuries, Neither that old but that young. Cash in and get $$$$ while the window for it is still open.

Amendola took multiple pay cuts to remain here the guy absolutely has to jump at one last pay day at his age. Lewis seems to shred crappy teams but struggle against good ones. Both are injury prone. Pretty much a no brainer to walk away from both.

We'll miss Solder we have to hope that we get lucky and draft his long term replacement. I want Orlando Brown I don't care that he had a bad combine his dad was awesome. I want a WR with one of the first 3 picks there are some good ones out there.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Amendola took multiple pay cuts to remain here the guy absolutely has to jump at one last pay day at his age. Lewis seems to shred crappy teams but struggle against good ones. Both are injury prone. Pretty much a no brainer to walk away from both.

We'll miss Solder we have to hope that we get lucky and draft his long term replacement. I want Orlando Brown I don't care that he had a bad combine his dad was awesome. I want a WR with one of the first 3 picks there are some good ones out there.

I'd be annoyed if they drafted a WR that early honestly. They desperately need to find some LB talent, and some OL as well.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I'm never mad at any athlete for signing for as much money as they want.

Same.

If I was a pro athlete, I don'care if it's the Pats, Bruins, etc. I'll play in the desert if it's an extra Million a year on my contract.

There's way too much uncertainty in a pro athletes career to take chances with money.

Knowing what I know at the ripe age of 28, if I was a college athlete not on the McDavid/Crosby/Brady etc level, I don't care what sport, I'd finish that 4 year degree. You'll always have that to fall back on.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Same.

If I was a pro athlete, I don'care if it's the Pats, Bruins, etc. I'll play in the desert if it's an extra Million a year on my contract.

There's way too much uncertainty in a pro athletes career to take chances with money.

Knowing what I know at the ripe age of 28, if I was a college athlete not on the McDavid/Crosby/Brady etc level, I don't care what sport, I'd finish that 4 year degree. You'll always have that to fall back on.

I'd sign as soon as I could. Can always go back and finish my degree. Can't go back and be young and healthy again.

It's funny, I also don't fault any athlete who doesn't sign for the most money. But those guys sometimes get criticized for deflating the market for other players. Everyone should sign where they want for as much as they want for whatever reason they want.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I'd sign as soon as I could. Can always go back and finish my degree. Can't go back and be young and healthy again.

It's funny, I also don't fault any athlete who doesn't sign for the most money. But those guys sometimes get criticized for deflating the market for other players. Everyone should sign where they want for as much as they want for whatever reason they want.

It's really risk reward.

What if you sign right away, get injured with a career ender early in your career? Do you have the money to go back to college? What kind of safety net is there for athletes who that happens to?

But at the same time, maybe you get a career altering injury in college and never get a chance to sign the pro contract. I remember reading something NCAA related that did in fact happen to someone. And they lost their scholarship not to long after the injury.

Guess there's no easy answer.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
OL and LB have to be the priorities, as well as an edge rusher.

No need to draft any WRs.

If we only have 1-3 years of Brady left, don't focus on value as much as normal, focus on putting the best team you can on the field for 2018 and 2019.

Do you think the signing of Clayborn, the healthy return of Derek Rivers and the continued maturation of Wise and Flowers pushes edge rusher to the back burner?

Maybe grab an LB that can provide some pressure from the outside while playing most downs at LB? Don’t know who is out there that fits that description.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Do you think the signing of Clayborn, the healthy return of Derek Rivers and the continued maturation of Wise and Flowers pushes edge rusher to the back burner?

Maybe grab an LB that can provide some pressure from the outside while playing most downs at LB? Don’t know who is out there that fits that description.

If they had three equally rated players at those positions, I'd go LB first, OL second, edge rusher third.

Unless the OL was a left tackle, then I might grab him first.

I never trust they have enough rushers, cause they never seem to.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
If they had three equally rated players at those positions, I'd go LB first, OL second, edge rusher third.

Unless the OL was a left tackle, then I might grab him first.

I never trust they have enough rushers, cause they never seem to.

Hoodie showed up at the N.C. State (Brissett’s alma mater) Pro Day yesterday. At positions of need:

The gem is DE Bradley Chubb, but unless the Pats trade up, he will be gone. Kentavius Street is another DE projected to be a 7th rounder or FA.

An interesting OL is Will Richardson. A mid-round projection that is viewed as a RT/G in the NFL. Had some off field issues.

There are a few other kids at LB that tested that weren’t invited to the Combine.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
It's really risk reward.

What if you sign right away, get injured with a career ender early in your career? Do you have the money to go back to college? What kind of safety net is there for athletes who that happens to?

But at the same time, maybe you get a career altering injury in college and never get a chance to sign the pro contract. I remember reading something NCAA related that did in fact happen to someone. And they lost their scholarship not to long after the injury.

Guess there's no easy answer.

There is. It's called insurance.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->