2018 Offseason Disappointment Tracker

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Here's a tentative list of things that could go well or poorly for the Blues this offseason (some depending on each individual's perspective). Let's see how many break our way.

Feel free to nominate any others that come to mind.

• Blues replace Armstrong. (Now Blue!)
  • Blues replace Yeo.
  • Blues win the lottery and get a top 3 draft pick.
  • Chicago does not win the draft lottery, because **** them. (Requested)
  • Blues sign Tavares.
  • Blues sign a different top 6 quality player.
  • Blues trade for a top 6 center.
  • Blues trade for a top 6 RW.
  • Blues trade one or more of Sobotka/Gunnarsson/Berglund.
  • Blues don't trade away one of your top 2 favorite prospects.
  • Blues improve their goaltending situation.
  • Fabbri returns healthy and plays like he did before.
  • Bouwmeester returns healthy and plays like he did before.
  • Blues don't lose Schmaltz to waivers.
  • Season Ticket Prices Do Not Increase. (Requested)
  • STC Beer Prices Do Not Increase (Requested)

Last edited:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Here's a tentative list of things that could go well or poorly for the Blues this offseason (some depending on each individual's perspective). Let's see how many break our way.

• Blues replace Armstrong.
  • Blues replace Yeo.
  • Blues sign Tavares.
I hope ALL, or, at LEAST 10 of those things happen. Perhaps they CAN'T ALL possibly happen, because trading for the Top 6 centre will CERTAINLY require one of the favourite prospects away, and trading for the Top 6 RW will likely also take one.

Reactions: Bendak

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I feel that if replacing Yeo is an option, then replacing the assistant coaches should be as well.

As just a side note, I would love to know how much or how little influence they have on the play.

Reactions: 91ReasonsYouLose

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

• Blues replace Armstrong.
  • Blues replace Yeo.
  • Blues sign Tavares.
#2! This should have happened after the 1st Chicago tilt. His decision to play Allen in the last game is both inexplicable and inexcusable! He is a poor head coach. End of discussion! I get that I am not a professional NHL coach, and who am I to question, yadda, yadda yadda. BUT, I am at the point now, where I am seriously questioning his roster moves and strategies. He has to go. It should have been done tonight, and even that would have been too late.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Parayko turns into Chris Pronger

Parayko needs to spend the offseason in Dagestan. Seems like that's where all the tough guys are coming from in UFC these days. Might toughen him up a bit. Is it time to reconsider trading him while he still has "potential?"

So I may add another item: will the Blues trade away a core piece as part of a roster shake-up?

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Consider Tavares might be long shot and possibility for he doesn't come in Blues is very slim. Now if Stastny could also staying in Jets if he loves in there or just doesn't want to come back in Blues. We face situation our 1c is Schenn and 2c is Berglund/Sobotka/Brodziak. I assume we are bring back Brodziak, he deserves contract and is imo better player then Berglund or Sobotka.

Those center pieces are horrendous and think of how on earth we can success with those center is questionable. So exceptations for next season with that center core is bad, worse then this year, even if we've Fabbri back and younsgters in. Promising is that we might see 4-5 new players in our roster for next season. Walman, Kyrou, Thomas, Kostin, Husso, Mikkola, Foley. Did I miss somebody too?

This off-season could be most important time for this franchise. Without legit 1c we're going to waste prime years of Tarasenko (26-old), Pietrangelo(28-old), Schwartz(soon 26-old) and Schenn(soon 27-old).

I like that we get new faces in the lineup for next season. Continue to re-tool and get team faster.

RickedEm

Apr 26, 2016
STL
Parayko needs to spend the offseason in Dagestan. Seems like that's where all the tough guys are coming from in UFC these days. Might toughen him up a bit. Is it time to reconsider trading him while he still has "potential?"

So I may add another item: will the Blues trade away a core piece as part of a roster shake-up?
I was at the lake last summer eating dinner when he walked in with his parents and sat down at a table right next to me. My wife was laughing since I was fan girling super hard. I wanted to tell him congrats on the new contract and that he should shoot more and get angry. Instead I decided not to say a word and let him enjoy time with his family and not be bothered. I remind my wife every game when he hesitates to blast one or annihilate someone. So on behalf of all blues fans I apologize for ruining Parayko.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
1. Husso gets 1/2 the starts...groom him to be #1 ASAP.
2. Fix the PP
3. DO NOT trade Kyrou, Thomas.
4. DO NOT trade Winnipeg's first or any of our future firsts--STOP trading the future--it's getting us nowhere and will lead to an inevitable, massive and painful rebuild if we keep doing it. Trading talent on ELC's for two years of vets is a diminishing return strategy and will lead to us circling the bowl at some point.
5. Talk to Tavares--If that doesn't work, talk to Stas.
6. Bring up our most talented kids and let them have a genuine chance to play.
7. Consider drafting a goalie prospect early if any great ones are available. The great ones can enter the league at an early age...see, e.g., Vasy.
8. If there is clearly a great coaching option available, consider replacing Yeo (although I know this won't happen).
9. Invest in revolutionary ankle supports and skate guards for Jaden--b/c he is the motor that makes our first line hum.

Last edited:
Reactions: simon in canada

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Things I would like to see happen with this team.

-JBo traded or put on LTIR. We did much better without him in the lineup this year. He's getting older and injuries have plagued his best asset which is his skating. Not nearly as effective when he signed his current contract.
-Gunnarsson gone. Eddy and Dunn are already Top 4 guys. Let's either look for a cheaper 3rd pairing option or give Walman/Lindbohm/Mikkola turns.
-Never bring back Chris Butler ever again
-Scottie Upshall might be done. I like Scottie a lot but I think this game is starting to take a toll on his body.
-Keep Kyle Brodziak until he has zero left. Guy is the best 4th liner in the league. Not to mention he is a clutch faceoff taker and an incredible PKer.
-Jake Allen needs to be gone. Terrible player and is taking up a decent portion on the books for the next 3 years.
-Try to re-sign Hutton and run with a Hutton/Husso tandem with Binnington being the 3rd string.
-Move on from Steen. Guy skates like he has a parachute on his back these days. He also seemed to get most off his points by accident rather than creating a play or taking a beautiful shot. Remember the days he would skate down the LW and take a clapper at the circle and beat the goalie cleanly? Yeah, that's not the same player anymore. I also can't give any insight on this but him and Bergy are really the only ones left from the old core. Was also really good friends with Stas so I can see him being one of the "individual contractors" one reporter pointed out earlier.
-Move on from KHL Sobotka, he sucks now. Can't even PK well.
-Move on from Berglund
-Look for middle 6 center option. Schenn just scored 70 points, he's a first line center.
-Look for a 2RW option via trade/FA
-Fabbri healthy is HUGE
-Sundqvist sucks
-Thorburn sucks
-Start the youth movement

LW options:
Schwartz
Fabbri*
Jaskin*
Sanford
Kostin*
Blais
Foley
Helt

RW options:
Tarasenko
Jaskin*
Soshnikov
Thompson
Kyrou
Kostin*
Stevens

C options:
Schenn
Fabbri*
Barbashev
Brodziak
Thomas
Musil

RD options:
Pietrangelo
Parayko
Bortuzzo*
Schmaltz

LD options:
Edmundson
Dunn
Bortuzzo*
Walman
Lindbohm
Mikkola

Goalie options:
Hutton
Husso
Binnington

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I can see Army doing something rash like trading one of Edmundson/Parayko/Dunn + plus a pick or prospect for Hoffman. He may be in panic mode to save Yeo's job and take some of the heat off of him. It would have the opposite effect.

Grimlore

Mar 20, 2012
I can see Army doing something rash like trading one of Edmundson/Parayko/Dunn + plus a pick or prospect for Hoffman. He may be in panic mode to save Yeo's job and take some of the heat off of him. It would have the opposite effect.

Armstrong was just signed to an extension - he isnt going to do something rash to take heat off himself. How terrible would our D look without any of those 3 guys?

'Healthy' Jbo stays on the team as well for next season, passed by both Edmonson and Dunn on the depth chart. He will be a bit more sheltered.

Our biggest issue is our middle 6. We absolutely need some talent outside our top three. Fabbri should help, but who knows what he looks like when he returns. If Steen-Brodz-Berglund are our second line to start next year, we might as well pack it in.

Changes to make: move one of Berg or Sobotka (both are redundant) and bring in a top-2 center. Schenn can handle 1C imo, but we need some kind of a threat on the second line.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Armstrong was just signed to an extension - he isnt going to do something rash to take heat off himself. How terrible would our D look without any of those 3 guys?

'Healthy' Jbo stays on the team as well for next season, passed by both Edmonson and Dunn on the depth chart. He will be a bit more sheltered.

Our biggest issue is our middle 6. We absolutely need some talent outside our top three. Fabbri should help, but who knows what he looks like when he returns. If Steen-Brodz-Berglund are our second line to start next year, we might as well pack it in.

Changes to make: move one of Berg or Sobotka (both are redundant) and bring in a top-2 center. Schenn can handle 1C imo, but we need some kind of a threat on the second line.
I agree with your premise, but the only way that you are going to trade for talent is to give up talent. If you look at players that would draw interest from other teams, outside of our prospects, you'd be looking at:
Tarasenko, Schwartz, Schenn, Fabbri
Petro, Dunn, Edmundson, Parayko

Gunnarson and Jbo are basically anchors due to their extended injuries and have little to no value.

Outside of those guys, the other talent on this team isn't really that attractive because they either are 3rd/4th liners, declining, or still waiting to blossom. From a trade perspective, they is just a bunch of spare parts or handful of hope and wishes.

I just think next year will hinge on if they can build a second line through homegrown talent. The UFA list isn't that impressive and a trade could fill one hole but open another.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
I was at the lake last summer eating dinner when he walked in with his parents and sat down at a table right next to me. My wife was laughing since I was fan girling super hard. I wanted to tell him congrats on the new contract and that he should shoot more and get angry. Instead I decided not to say a word and let him enjoy time with his family and not be bothered. I remind my wife every game when he hesitates to blast one or annihilate someone. So on behalf of all blues fans I apologize for ruining Parayko.
giphy.gif

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I agree with your premise, but the only way that you are going to trade for talent is to give up talent. If you look at players that would draw interest from other teams, outside of our prospects, you'd be looking at:
Tarasenko, Schwartz, Schenn, Fabbri
Petro, Dunn, Edmundson, Parayko

Gunnarson and Jbo are basically anchors due to their extended injuries and have little to no value.

Outside of those guys, the other talent on this team isn't really that attractive because they either are 3rd/4th liners, declining, or still waiting to blossom. From a trade perspective, they is just a bunch of spare parts or handful of hope and wishes.

I just think next year will hinge on if they can build a second line through homegrown talent. The UFA list isn't that impressive and a trade could fill one hole but open another.
That's why you deal futures. Winnipeg's 1st, Thompson, Kyrou, Kostin, Walman, Schmaltz, Blais, Barbashev, Sanford, etc.

The Blues have a lot of assets. That's what teams like Ottawa for example are looking for anyways.

Armstrong isn't going to make a rash move and move a top 4 d-man. If he's hesitant to give up a guy like Thompson, he's certainly not moving a Parayko or Dunn. That's one thing I'm not worried about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad