2018 NHL Prospect Comparisons

Cable

Feb 13, 2010
Hello,

Who do these prospects compare to in the NHL?

1. Rasmus Dahlin (D)
2. Adam Boqvist (D)
3. Andrei Svechnikov (RW)
4. Ryan Merkley (D)
5. Jack McBain (C)
6. Benoit-Olivier Groulx (C)
7. Rasmus Kupari (LW)
8. Kirill Nizhnikov (RW)
9. Alexander Khovanov (C)
10. Xavier Bouchard (D)

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
My Rankings(Top 10)

1. Dahlin - Lidstrom(I think there's some differences but Dahlin is the closest thing to Lidstrom since the man himself and is the best defensive prospect I've seen pre-draft)

2. Svechnikov - McDavid(think of a poor mans McDavid, however still a Franchise esque Winger)

3. Veleno - Tavaras( Much faster, less Offensive upside but more Defensive upside)

4. Boqvist - Karlsson

5. Kupari - Nylander(But at Center, similar upside as a Prospect)

6. Hughes - Krug(on steroids)

7. Zadina - Laine(mini version)

8. Tkachuk - His Brother

9. Dobson - Doughty

10. Merkley - Letang(Will lack Letangs defensive side but his Offensive upside is as high as Karlsson, easily one of the most Offensive upside amongst defenders in this draft and that is saying allot)

Last edited:
Reactions: 99664987

Luddowich

May 1, 2013
Sweden
My Rankings(Top 10)

1. Dahlin - Lidstrom(I think there's some differences but Dahlin is the closest thing to Lidstrom since the man himself and is the best defensive prospect I've seen pre-draft)

2. Svechnikov - McDavid(think of a poor mans McDavid, however still a Franchise esque Winger)

3. Veleno - Tavaras( Much faster, less Offensive upside but more Defensive upside)

4. Boqvist - Karlsson

7. Zadina - Draisaitl

8. Tkachuk - Tkachuk(More upside, IMO)

9. McBain - Kopitar

10. Merkley - Letang(Will lack Letangs defensive side but his Offensive upside is as high as Karlsson, easily one of the most Offensive upside amongst defenders in this draft and that is saying allot)

Those are for sure very interesting.

After to TS: are you looking for stylistical comparisons or ceiling wise?

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Those are for sure very interesting.

After to TS: are you looking for stylistical comparisons or ceiling wise?

Little bit of both(I'd rather pick someone who's closer Potential wise but still similar stylistically over someone who plays a much similar game but at a slower or less effective pace), You have no clue how many Defencemen I wanted to compare to Karlsson. I have had some limited viewings on players and old viewings as well so many might be pretty off(also not to mention I'm no scout, just a big hockey fan so I'm likely off on a lot due to that as well).

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
My Rankings(Top 10)

4. Boqvist - Karlsson

7. Zadina - Draisaitl

8. Tkachuk - Tkachuk(More upside, IMO)

9. McBain - Kopitar

Man, I severely disagree with so much of this, but especially he first three.

Dahlin is not much at all like Lidstrom, whose hallmark, let’s not forget, was his defensive play.

Svechnikov is like McDavid? How?

As for Veleno, who is the only one I have an actual comparison for, I see a taller version of RNH as a rookie (ie when RNH was good). I’m sorry, but a “faster, worse offensive but better defensive Tavares”? What kind of comparison is that? That could be anything!

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
My Rankings(Top 10)

1 goal in 14 games a below a PPG is about Taveras when he was 14.

I cannot see him going top 10 at this point without a major turn around.

BenchedGuy

Nov 26, 2009
Kitchener
Merkley I don't see being close to Letang. Seeing him I worry how his game will transition to the next level. I see more of a Ryan Murphy maybe up to a John Moore type of player right now. Depends on how he develops.

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
My rankings
1. Dahlin- Hedman
2. Svechnikov- Malkin
3. Boqvist- Karlsson
4. Zadina- Hischier (really smart and effective but maybe doesn't have the flash of a guy like ehlers)
5. Hughes- Krug but a better skater
6. Wilde- Pietrangelo
7. Smith- TJ Brodie
8. Kupari- Nylander
9. Tkachuk- Tkachuk
10. Wahlstrom- Jeff Carter
Other guys you mentioned
Merkley- Obvious comparison is karlsson but i agree with benchedguy think he projects more like a ryan murphy
Veleno- RNH with less offensive upside
Benoit-Olivier Groulx- James Neal
And honestly I don't know enough about the other guys

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
My rankings
1. Dahlin- Hedman
2. Svechnikov- Malkin
3. Boqvist- Karlsson
4. Zadina- Hischier (really smart and effective but maybe doesn't have the flash of a guy like ehlers)
5. Hughes- Krug but a better skater
6. Wilde- Pietrangelo
7. Smith- TJ Brodie
8. Kupari- Nylander
9. Tkachuk- Tkachuk
10. Wahlstrom- Jeff Carter
Other guys you mentioned
Merkley- Obvious comparison is karlsson but i agree with benchedguy think he projects more like a ryan murphy
Veleno- RNH with less offensive upside
Benoit-Olivier Groulx- James Neal
And honestly I don't know enough about the other guys
Dahlin plays really flashy, lots of decks and he is an agile skater. Hedman is an awful comparison to him. Other tham that good comparisons

Reactions: 99664987

pharling

Mar 26, 2012
Kingston, ON
Dahlin - Orr
Svechnikov - Tarasenko
Zadina - Laine
Hughes - Ellis
Boqvist - Subban
Wilde - Byfuglien
Smith - Gostisbehere
Kupari - Aho
Tkachuk - Tkachuk
Bouchard - MacInnis
Dobson - Pietrangelo
Wahlstrom - Pacioretty
Farabee - Mikael Granlund
Veleno - RNH
Merkley - DeAngelo
McLeod - Kesler
Kotkaniemi - O'Reilly
Lundestrom - Koivu
Bokk - Pastrnak
Noel - van Riemsdyk
Denisenko - Nylander
Hayton - Bergeron
Olofson - Kopitar
McIsaac - Doughty
Sandin - Muzzin
Kravtsov - Kovalev
Thomas - Krejci
Miller - Reilly
McBain - Getzlaf
Ginning - Siegenthaler
Alexeyev - Provorov

Memyselfandi

Feb 10, 2018
Dahlin - Orr
Svechnikov - Kovalchuk
Zadina - Tarasenko
Hughes - Rafalski
Boqvist - Subban
Smith - Poor man Keith
Kupari - Nylander
Tkachuk - Tkachuk
Bouchard - MacInnis
Dobson - Pietrangelo
Wahlstrom - Kessel

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
The nhl has never experienced a player like Dahlin. He is an elite puck moving defenseman (two-way as well). There isn't a comparable really because he is a modern day nhl type of player. Players getting drafted higher tend to be a lot more agile like hischier, Dahlin, Mcdavid, and Zadina. Players like these weren't in the old era of hockey. There are more players like Tkachuk in the old era because that's the type of players that were common (gritty-skilled scorers).

One comparison I'd say is:

Smith-Keith

the one the poster above said.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
The nhl has never experienced a player like Dahlin. He is an elite puck moving defenseman (two-way as well). There isn't a comparable really because he is a modern day nhl type of player. Players getting drafted higher tend to be a lot more agile like hischier, Dahlin, Mcdavid, and Zadina. Players like these weren't in the old era of hockey. There are more players like Tkachuk in the old era because that's the type of players that were common (gritty-skilled scorers).

One comparison I'd say is:

Smith-Keith

the one the poster above said.

I'm a fan of the Brian Leetch comparison.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
seems like a bunch of solid 2 way centers available, like hayton/kotkaniemi/lundestrom/etc.
anyone have some comps on these guys? heard bergeron comps for hayton but that seems
a bit much.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Dahlin reminds me a lot more of Scott Niedermayer stylistically than he does any of the Swedish defensemen.

Veleno- I don’t like the Tavares comparison because it’s unfair scoring wise, but stylistically I can see it and Patrice Bergeron, but less upside. Thinking 50 point swiss army knife second line player

Quinn Hughes: imagine Barzal on defense.

Bouchard: Doughty lite.

Ryan Merkely: prime Zidlicky

Haven’t seen Zadina/Svechnikov/Wahlstrom play in person

Last edited:
Reactions: Mallard

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Anyone else got a Dany Heatley vibe while watching Zadina? It's the first thing that got in mind while watching his highlights.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Comparison with current nhlers:

Dahlin - Karlsson
Svechnikov - Tarasenko
Kotkaniemi - Kopitar
Zadina - Boeser
Hughes - Ghostibehere
Dobson - Petriangelo
Boqvist - Karlsson
Wahlstrom - Pacioretty
Tkachuk - Tkachuk