2018 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Here's a guy that might fall to the Penguins that would definitely be worth drafting: Ryan Merkley. There are some talks that he may fall in the draft due to his defensive game and some attitude issues, but he's a right handed OFD who's over a PPG defenseman in the OHL. Teams apparently have him on their "do not draft" list due to these attitude issues, but these are exactly the kind of moves the Penguins should be making.

NHL scouts put way too much of an emphasis on player personalities, I think Merkley may be this year's player who falls due to it.

torrencemd

Jun 27, 2006
I remember standing in my living room on the phone with a friend who was also a draft junkie after the Staal deal went down and we both were just giddy with excitement. Our pick came and both of our guys were there. He was saying, "We are going to draft Forsberg!" I said, "We're going to Trouba!" The pick comes down and we sat in silence for a solid 3 mins before saying, "What in the **** just happened?"

Derick Pouliot was an awful pick at the time and it looks even more awful now with the careers Forsberg and Trouba both have had.

How the F&%$ could that not have been out pick with our glaring need at winger?!?! It made me nearly throw up. Then we had a second chance to poach before he blew up with the Nash Neal/Horns deal. I feel like we coulda added a lot more to nab a relatively unknown at that level prospect. Alas he now tears up what could have been one of the most lopsided trades in history....

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
if we are moving up in the draft, I hope we do it soon. if we wait, I will probably skip the draft all together and miss it.

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
Here's a guy that might fall to the Penguins that would definitely be worth drafting: Ryan Merkley. There are some talks that he may fall in the draft due to his defensive game and some attitude issues, but he's a right handed OFD who's over a PPG defenseman in the OHL. Teams apparently have him on their "do not draft" list due to these attitude issues, but these are exactly the kind of moves the Penguins should be making.

NHL scouts put way too much of an emphasis on player personalities, I think Merkley may be this year's player who falls due to it.
Me and you are on the same page cause I reported that a while ago. Another kid that will be interesting for a more realistic target would be Filip Johannson a 2 way D from Sweden I believe. Those Swedes have a way of churning good players.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
How bad can Merkley’s D game be? Maybe there’s just no onus on him to play defense in Guelph for whatever reason. They don’t look like a strong team on paper anyway. I’ll take a flyer on him.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
How bad can Merkley’s D game be? Maybe there’s just no onus on him to play defense in Guelph for whatever reason. They don’t look like a strong team on paper anyway. I’ll take a flyer on him.
I would think a team like the rags with 3 first round picks would spend the 3rd on a crap shoot like merk. 2 safe picks and a home run swing. imo
edit; they have 5 picks before we do. they will stay safe in the first and swing for the fence in the second.

Last edited:

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
The Staal pick panned out very nicely, thank you very much. If only all of our picks worked out like that.

I usually get a man-crush on a player or two at this time of the year, anticipating the draft, and this year it's Semyon Der-Arguchintsev. I would love it if he is still around in Round 2 for us.
I wonder if there was any long term thought to keeping Staal on Malkins wing. He looked good there as a rookie then just sputtered out.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
My concern with Merkley is the last two times we drafted an offensive defenseman who had huge question marks in his own zone, we ended up with Morrow and Pouliot. Add in the really bad attitude issues, and I'm not sure that's someone we should be targeting.

I mean, maybe if his attitude causes him to slip to the 4th or 5th round, sure. But early on, I'd rather take a guy with slightly less upside, but with much, much less baggage and issues.

Reactions: Burn

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd like to take a boom or bust dman, but not as high as Merkley likely goes.

Prodding around a few rankings, kinda like the look of Jett Woo and Blake McLaughlin. Woo sounds like he's a possible bottom pairing guy due to speed/strength/smarts whatever, but has the potential to be more if he puts them together more in an attacking way. McLaughlin sounds like he has it all as a forward except for muscle on his frame and that's one of the easier things to acquire.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
My concern with Merkley is the last two times we drafted an offensive defenseman who had huge question marks in his own zone, we ended up with Morrow and Pouliot. Add in the really bad attitude issues, and I'm not sure that's someone we should be targeting.

I mean, maybe if his attitude causes him to slip to the 4th or 5th round, sure. But early on, I'd rather take a guy with slightly less upside, but with much, much less baggage and issues.
also if he would be willing to move to wing if him playing dee doesn't work out would be a huge plus.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
As far as D... What about Perunovich? Has a chance to be a great PPQB and I wouldnt mind seeing the Pens move up to get him. Also doesnt have the bagage Merk has.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
As far as D... What about Perunovich? Has a chance to be a great PPQB and I wouldnt mind seeing the Pens move up to get him. Also doesnt have the bagage Merk has.
there are a lot of good defense men going to go in the first......the trick is moving up to get one.

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
Sean Durzi would be good target. Injured and had a horrible year last year, which caused him to go undrafted. He could help us in a year or two. Great on the breakout and getting pucks through traffic. Weakness is defending in front of the net and skating the puck out of danger.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I just want Rasmus Sandin (D). We desperately need skilled Dmen.

Not happening without moving a looooong way up.

A more reasonable hope for skilled dman might be Jacob Bernard-Docker. RH PMD in one of the Canadian minor leagues headed for UND, described as a poor man's Cale Makar - but bigger frame. Long term project, but I think there's a good amount of potential for a guy we could get in our range.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Anyone know if they are doing that lame shit from last year where the top 10 prospects are backstage in their own area so they can walk out onto stage with the team cap on?

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
I want K'Andre Miller there.

-I said this in the salary cap thread

Trade up in the draft. This is the player I want, K'aundre Miller- Big at 6'5, fast, and a forward converted defense men. Could be a perfect fit in 1-2 years. Trade up for this guy, Id be all over him as a big time sleeper

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Not happening without moving a looooong way up.

A more reasonable hope for skilled dman might be Jacob Bernard-Docker. RH PMD in one of the Canadian minor leagues headed for UND, described as a poor man's Cale Makar - but bigger frame. Long term project, but I think there's a good amount of potential for a guy we could get in our range.
A late 1st should do it. We could package our 2nd + another asset for a late 1st.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I would like to see us draft a few Russians this year. It looks like a strong year for Russia, both in terms of those playing in the MHL/VHL or even KHL, and those playing in the CHL.

I am still squarely on the Semyon Der-Arguchintsev bandwagon. Also, there is no shortage of quality/decent puck movers in this draft, so value can be found a little later. Let's not forget we have Ottawa's third rounder, so we basically have two late-second rounders in this draft.

So, we can grab a Russian forward and a puck-moving D in the first three rounds.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
https://www.tsn.ca/kotkaniemi-surges-into-top-five-of-tsn-draft-ranking-1.1115400

Final rankings by TSNare out. With the Penguins 2nd (53rd) and 3rd (64th) round picks, it seems like there are a lot of centers available around 64 and pretty much everything around 53. Durzi is ranked at 48, so he's a possibility. There are a lot of goalies ranked around 53rd overall, too. I don't want the Penguins to take one, but Rodrigue, Lindbom and Skarek are all ranked between 49 and 56. With how these rankings look, I'd probably be hoping for Durzi at 53 and David Gustafsson (ranked 64th by TSN, center who played all of last year in the SHL) at 64. Some information on Gustafsson:

David Gustafsson Scouting Report: 2018 NHL Draft #43 - Last Word on Hockey

Gustafsson sounds a lot like Jordan Staal, to be honest. Awkward skater and mediocre playmaking talent, but he's extremely strong on the puck, a good goal scorer and excellent defensively. Gustafsson also seems like he'll be NHL ready a lot sooner than most guys that would be picked around him, since he already played a full season in the SHL last year and plays a very mature game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->