2018 NHL Entry Draft

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
The 2016 draft at least looks like 1 picks is a NHLer (Kunin). Dunhaime was the head-scratcher pick at the time, it seemed like a real reach.

I'm more concerned about the 2017 draft class. 6 picks (all 3rd or later), and I don't know if there is a NHL player in the bunch.

The 2014 draft might end up being a bust too. Tuch is gone, Kahkonen's status is unclear, Jenys and Lang aren't a NHLers, Duke and Faith are gone. Belpedio is the only real hope the Wild have left.

Tuch was a great pick though. I don't know exactly when Flahr took over, but I think they've drafted well. But you're right, lots of long shots from 17. I really believe Lodnia will be a player. Shaw is like Kunin, a question mark to recover. Swaney is small but a freshman who puts up points in the NCHC is an asset. Svetlakov is a solid pro - his upside, I don't know but he's a positive arrow. Misley was one of the youngest guys in college hockey, so we'll wait on that one. Golden...well I've said before, guys with no offense in the CHL are not good bets, good skater or not.

Too many picks punted. And would it really be surprising if a bunch of these 2018s were traded too? The chance of getting an impact guy at 22-23 or whatever is slim but a start.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Wild don't have a 2nd or a 4th, but with the 3 3rds they could end up having the first, mid, and last picks of the 3rd round. It almost offsets things.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Tuch was a great pick though. I don't know exactly when Flahr took over, but I think they've drafted well. But you're right, lots of long shots from 17. I really believe Lodnia will be a player. Shaw is like Kunin, a question mark to recover. Swaney is small but a freshman who puts up points in the NCHC is an asset. Svetlakov is a solid pro - his upside, I don't know but he's a positive arrow. Misley was one of the youngest guys in college hockey, so we'll wait on that one. Golden...well I've said before, guys with no offense in the CHL are not good bets, good skater or not.

Too many picks punted. And would it really be surprising if a bunch of these 2018s were traded too? The chance of getting an impact guy at 22-23 or whatever is slim but a start.
We passed on Pastrnak to take Tuch, so not sure I can call Tuch a GREAT pick, still wasn't a bad one though.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Reactions: Steve Kournianos

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
New mock draft is posted. Kaut, Berggren, Ylonen just miss the first round. Same with Bernard-Docker, Dellandrea, McGlaughlin -- all are first-round quality:

NHL Mock Draft 2018: Sabres hit jackpot with Rasmus Dahlin; lottery prizes aplenty after No. 1
Thanks, Steve. Not sold on Denisenko's IQ? He's ranked higher elsewhere. Also, see that you have Noel a bit higher than most. I'm hoping that the Wild take either him or Miller, though a C is what they really need.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
im surprised no one is talking about jacob olofsson. i would think the posters who like JEE would be interested in this guy. as for kravstov A i dont think he'll be around when we pick. B russian factor may not want to come over to NA. bokk is interesting kinda wildcard with upside. i still want mcleod if available (size & speed) zucker can teach him the rest!

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Thanks, Steve. Not sold on Denisenko's IQ? He's ranked higher elsewhere. Also, see that you have Noel a bit higher than most. I'm hoping that the Wild take either him or Miller, though a C is what they really need.

Love Denisenko. Skill-wise, he's a top-10 pick. Not very consistent, had some nagging injuries all season. Some minor risks involved so the stupid combine may actually play s bigger role in where he ends up.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I've seen Serron Noel falling to the 20s in some recent mock drafts. He'd be an interesting project if he fell into the Wild's lap, not an immediate help but he could be a force once he figures the game out.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I liked him, a lot, in the three games I saw him play in. You're right that he might take a while.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
What's the scouting report on Jacob Olofsson? I see his hovering around #30 on some pre-draft rankings. I know nothing about him. @Saga of the Elk

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
What's the scouting report on Jacob Olofsson? I see his hovering around #30 on some pre-draft rankings. I know nothing about him. @Saga of the Elk

I've seen him higher too (i.e. he should be there at 24 and wouldn't be unreasonable) but the Wild have fulfilled their Olofsson quota. I wouldn't mind the Wild going for a responsible two-way guy but maybe this is the year to gamble on skill?

Scott Wheeler had Olofsson just after another Timra guy in Filip Hallander in his big list for the Athletic. I'd imagine teams have scouted both thoroughly, I can't say that I have.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
olofsson won the same award that both filip forsberg & william karlson won (i read somewhere) so i wouldn't be disappointed if we gambled on him.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I've seen him higher too (i.e. he should be there at 24 and wouldn't be unreasonable) but the Wild have fulfilled their Olofsson quota. I wouldn't mind the Wild going for a responsible two-way guy but maybe this is the year to gamble on skill?

Scott Wheeler had Olofsson just after another Timra guy in Filip Hallander in his big list for the Athletic. I'd imagine teams have scouted both thoroughly, I can't say that I have.

It was just a guy I wasn't familiar with (I think I remember him from the U18 WJC). I'm not really familiar with the Allsvenskan league where he played either, but winning awards is always a good thing and he took home best U-18, most goals, and most points for a U-18.

Just tossing out a name that is different and seeing if someone knows more about this kid.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
is our pick #24? (jeff gordon) we should not have traded scandella then claim we need to draft a D man. we still need speed or C as our highest priority.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Looking at a couple mocks, in the 20-25 range:

Joel Farabee, W, USA
Mattias Samuelsson, D, USA (listed at 6'3" 215 lbs right now)
Alexander Alexeyev, D, WHL (mentioned above)
Ryan McLeod, C, OHL
Akil Thomas, C, OHL
I'm good with Farabee, Samuelson, Thomas, maybe Noel in the 1st. I like that Thomas has a rep for being a playmaker, and is fast. Besides Granlund, we don't have distributors on the team any more.

Going completely somewhat local, would like Madden in the third, Perbix in the 5th, Perunovich in the 6th, Lagerstrom in the 7th.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Just pick the best player available regardless of position. I don’t think we have the depth anywhere to say we don’t need a new top prospect at that position.

At 24OA is there really a best player? I don't think a top-10 prospect (Liljegren or Chychrun in the last 2 drafts) is going to fall that far. It'll probably be a group of similar players. So pick the position, skill (speed), handedness, etc; that look to be the best fit in 3 years time; from that group.

The only way I'll be mad is if they took a goalie with their 1st rounder. :banghead:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad