2018 NHL Entry Draft

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
There's this big Russian d-man playing for Red Deer, Alexander Alexeyev, who I would love to get if he's still there. He's fallen a little bit due to missing some time last year and now this due to injuries (knee surgery last year, hand injury this year), but he's legit. He's a big mobile d-man who has smooth skating ability, good vision, always has his head up and looking to make plays but is also defensively sound and aware. He's definitely got top 4 potential and if he's there, I'll be hoping we take him.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Looking at a couple mocks, in the 20-25 range:

Joel Farabee, W, USA
Mattias Samuelsson, D, USA (listed at 6'3" 215 lbs right now)
Alexander Alexeyev, D, WHL (mentioned above)
Ryan McLeod, C, OHL
Akil Thomas, C, OHL

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Looking at a couple mocks, in the 20-25 range:

Joel Farabee, W, USA
Mattias Samuelsson, D, USA (listed at 6'3" 215 lbs right now)
Alexander Alexeyev, D, WHL (mentioned above)
Ryan McLeod, C, OHL
Akil Thomas, C, OHL

For some reason Ryan McLeod really gives me a good vibe. Like a Boeser or Pastrnak explosion kind of vibe. Not to that extent but I just get the gut feeling that hell be better than his draft position.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
while currently his #'s dont impress mcleod has the size & speed i like (possible zucker) if lundestrom drops he has speed & some skill. i think a "safe" pick that fletch may have made would be olofsson he won some award forsberg won. i dont see a potential boeser or pastrnak but maybe you guys do.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'm still in the BPA boat for this year's draft (at least with our first 2 picks). Maybe fudge it a little for positional needs.

Rasmus Kupari, Alexander Alexeyev, and Diminik Bokk are interesting prospects somewhat near the 20-30 pick range.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Wonder what the new GM's philosophy on goalies will be? Fletcher seemed to draft one late, if ever.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Key is to just draft 1 goalie every year from or is going to established development programs. You just slide that pick to a higher round if a more talented player comes through those clubs.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Key is to just draft 1 goalie every year from or is going to established development programs. You just slide that pick to a higher round if a more talented player comes through those clubs.

Pretty much this. Goalies are as much mental fortitude and physical ability. It's hard to gauge the mental aspect of the game for an 18 yo kid.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
we should not have traded scandella or reilly IF we weren't comfortable with our D pipeline. i dont see the need to draft a D man with our 1st unless bouchard drops.

A $4m 3rd pair d-man isn't something that can be carried for long term. Reilly just didn't seem to fit well in MN and he (or Olofsson) would have been waiver fodder.

I wouldn't mind a RD being taken with this year's 1st. I'm not too keen on adding another LD to the pile. A nice RHS FWD would probably be best, as long as he's not a Schroeder or Phillips type of gamble.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think that the test of the scouting staff will be in our three 3rd rounders. If we can get one middle six/middle pairing player and one fringe NHL'er I'd be a happy camper, though the recent drafts of Kaprizov, Lodnia, and Sokolov have made me(perhaps unrealistically) greedy.

I think that's where you pick the talented guys with Red Flags such as injuries, attitude, size, charges, KHL Russian or other nationalities with complications( i.e. Israeli, etc..).

I have to say I'm not too hyped about this draft. After the first two, maybe three, it seems to be a crapshoot. Almost all the D seem to have "issues" of one sort or another. Not a great draft for high end C's, either.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think that the test of the scouting staff will be in our three 3rd rounders. If we can get one middle six/middle pairing player and one fringe NHL'er I'd be a happy camper, though the recent drafts of Kaprizov, Lodnia, and Sokolov have made me(perhaps unrealistically) greedy.

I think that's where you pick the talented guys with Red Flags such as injuries, attitude, size, charges, KHL Russian or other nationalities with complications( i.e. Israeli, etc..).

I have to say I'm not too hyped about this draft. After the first two, maybe three, it seems to be a crapshoot. Almost all the D seem to have "issues" of one sort or another. Not a great draft for high end C's, either.

I can't think of an Israeli player off the top of my head.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I can't think of an Israeli player off the top of my head.
The guy from the Sudbury, who played with Sokolov. Levin? There's a question whether he will have to fulfill his military obligation before or during playing pro.

Last edited:

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
I'd be happy if we got a middle six/middle pair Dman with our first round pick. It's all luck even at that point in the draft.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'd be happy if we got a middle six/middle pair Dman with our first round pick. It's all luck even at that point in the draft.
I wouldn't say that, at all. Some luck, but also a lot of judgement.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
If you look at picks 20-30 from the 2010-2015 drafts, you'll see that there are 2 studs (3 or 4 if counting Kuznetsov and Rackell) out of 66 picks. <5%. Then there are a limited number of Charlie Coyle types and Olli Maata types. The majority are players struggling to play at the NHL level, or have never and will never make the NHL. The back end of the first round is a crap shoot, in my opinion.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If you look at picks 20-30 from the 2010-2015 drafts, you'll see that there are 2 studs (3 or 4 if counting Kuznetsov and Rackell) out of 66 picks. <5%. Then there are a limited number of Charlie Coyle types and Olli Maata types. The majority are players struggling to play at the NHL level, or have never and will never make the NHL. The back end of the first round is a crap shoot, in my opinion.

Why would you not count Kuznetsov or Rakell? Both are terrific players.

I agree, though, that the odds of a superstar are pretty slim. But there are also a ton of useful players: the previously mentioned Coyle, Konecny, Fabbri, Schmaltz, Mantha, Theodore, Burakovsky, Maatta, Skjei, Namestnikov.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
we need to find the next boeser or guentzel! it doesn't impress me we have most or all orig scouts & draft team. i hope that changes soon.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
So we have the 22nd OA pick correct? Pit and SJS finished behind us but made it to the 2nd round, so be bypass them, correct?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
we need to find the next boeser or guentzel! it doesn't impress me we have most or all orig scouts & draft team. i hope that changes soon.

JEE is a much more complete and valuable player than Boeser will be. Guentzel famously was drafted with our original pick. It just is one of the failures of Fletch's tenure that he gave away too many picks.

Kunin unfortunately may never reach his full potential due to his injury. Sokolov may never put it together, which is fine for a 7th rounder - I like the thought process in taking him. But that's half an entire draft class (other guys are long shots for the show, and depth at best). You cannot punt entire drafts in the NHL. Not at all. That's not on the scouts, it's on management and a big reason Fletch is faxing resumes today.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
So we have the 22nd OA pick correct? Pit and SJS finished behind us but made it to the 2nd round, so be bypass them, correct?
Those 2 teams would have to make it to the Conference finals for that to happen.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
JEE is a much more complete and valuable player than Boeser will be. Guentzel famously was drafted with our original pick. It just is one of the failures of Fletch's tenure that he gave away too many picks.

Kunin unfortunately may never reach his full potential due to his injury. Sokolov may never put it together, which is fine for a 7th rounder - I like the thought process in taking him. But that's half an entire draft class (other guys are long shots for the show, and depth at best). You cannot punt entire drafts in the NHL. Not at all. That's not on the scouts, it's on management and a big reason Fletch is faxing resumes today.

The 2016 draft at least looks like 1 picks is a NHLer (Kunin). Dunhaime was the head-scratcher pick at the time, it seemed like a real reach.

I'm more concerned about the 2017 draft class. 6 picks (all 3rd or later), and I don't know if there is a NHL player in the bunch.

The 2014 draft might end up being a bust too. Tuch is gone, Kahkonen's status is unclear, Jenys and Lang aren't a NHLers, Duke and Faith are gone. Belpedio is the only real hope the Wild have left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad