Pre-Game Talk: 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I think the better value players that could still be available in the 4th will be overagers, guys like Scott Perunovich, Vladislav Yeryomenko, Sean Durzi, Joey Keane, Connor Dewar, Logan Hutsko, Veini Vehviläinen.

Reactions: Dack

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I just hope if we do trade for a 1st rounder, we don't end up being stupid with it. The only way I'd accept Brady Tkachuk in a Flames sweater is if we pick him later than 10th overall and we traded a mep player (Not Brodie) to get that pick. Otherwise, screw it.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I just hope if we do trade for a 1st rounder, we don't end up being stupid with it. The only way I'd accept Brady Tkachuk in a Flames sweater is if we pick him later than 10th overall and we traded a mep player (Not Brodie) to get that pick. Otherwise, screw it.

No worry man, I think BT is a smart guy, there is no chance that he would trade anything of real value for a pick

He knows very well that if he cant improve this team immediately, he wont be around much longer. The pick is not going to help him anytime soon.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
The amount of non-hf Flames fans obsessed with Brady is concerning. Even if Brady was a RHS forward I'd still be hesitant in choosing him over Wahlstrom, Hughes, and Smith for the Flames if we somehow manage to get a top 8 pick.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
The amount of non-hf Flames fans obsessed with Brady is concerning. Even if Brady was a RHS forward I'd still be hesitant in choosing him over Wahlstrom, Hughes, and Smith for the Flames if we somehow manage to get a top 8 pick.
It's not surprising. It's pretty standard idiocy to obsess about collecting an entire family for one team, at the expense of logic; I assume there's some instinctive cognitive wiring that triggers it in a lot of people.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I think the better value players that could still be available in the 4th will be overagers, guys like Scott Perunovich, Vladislav Yeryomenko, Sean Durzi, Joey Keane, Connor Dewar, Logan Hutsko, Veini Vehviläinen.
As a general rule of thumb I'd rather see the Flames err on the side of extremely young and unproven rather than over-age and moderate growth. Naturally there's the occasional over-age guy who is a worthwhile grab, but most of them don't last past the 2nd/3rd round. The extremely young guys are much more of a gamble, but the potential ceiling is much higher, in my opinion.

Reactions: Cyrano

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
As a general rule of thumb I'd rather see the Flames err on the side of extremely young and unproven rather than over-age and moderate growth. Naturally there's the occasional over-age guy who is a worthwhile grab, but most of them don't last past the 2nd/3rd round. The extremely young guys are much more of a gamble, but the potential ceiling is much higher, in my opinion.
I'm going to disagree on that. Overagers are the most undervalued type of prospect these guys draft years would be considered fantastic D+1 seasons had they been drafted the year before but since they weren't they're chopped liver to a lot of NHL teams.

If it's someone like Nielsen on the Hitmen who produced really well 5v5 but is flying under the radar because he was on an awful team and is short then I'm with you but I would much prefer having a guy like Mascherin who's basically guaranteed to be a good AHL player and will likely play in the NHL at one point then randomly gambling on a meh CHLer. To summarize production>>>no production.

Durzi is another good overage guy.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Why is fan obsession concerning? They don't run the draft. The Flames won't have a pick anywhere near high enough to draft him anyway, so why even waste a thought on it, let alone be concerned?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Mangiapane was "over-aged"

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Why is fan obsession concerning? They don't run the draft. The Flames won't have a pick anywhere near high enough to draft him anyway, so why even waste a thought on it, let alone be concerned?

Although it's not everything, fanbase influences some decisions, meaning sometimes GMs choose players for profit and media reasons rather than actually helping the team.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Although it's not everything, fanbase influences some decisions, meaning sometimes GMs choose players for profit and media reasons rather than actually helping the team.
It's literally not anything. No GM worth a damn will listen to fans over scouts on who to draft. You say alot of crazy things, but this has to be up there as one of the worst.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
It's literally not anything. No GM worth a damn will listen to fans over scouts on who to draft. You say alot of crazy things, but this has to be up there as one of the worst.

I've heard many reports saying Vancouver chose Virtanen over Nylander and Ehlers because he's BC boy that has size and grit.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Mangiapane was "over-aged"
I know, and he put up nearly two points per game in his 18 y/o season, which is pretty high end growth given he doubled his point production from the previous season. Regardless, I didn't say all over-aged players are bad choices, but unless they're performing exceptionally well (like Mangiapagne) I don't see why you'd take them over young guys who may have substantially more growth potential.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
This:

I've heard many reports saying Vancouver chose Virtanen over Nylander and Ehlers because he's BC boy that has size and grit.

has nothing to do with this:

...fanbase influences some decisions...

You're talking about a case of a team having a "good Canadian kid" bias being somehow related to what the fanbase types on message boards. It is not.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What does that have to do with fans being obsessed with a player? Sutter was the same way when he was here, he would regularly choose guys who had been through traumatic experiences because he believed it helped their character. But it wasn't representative of what the fans wanted, it was his own personal bias, it is the same with Dim Jim

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Tkachuk is good. That’s the funny thing.

Not to mention his draft -1 numbers were really good... hard to dominate college as a freshmen (see Makar, Mittelstadt) especially as a draft eligible player on a deep, defensive team.

He dominated Canada at the WJC in his draft year. How is that not indicative of future success?

The Brady Tkachuk haters will get just as much egg as the Matt Tkachuk haters.

Reactions: Connor McDaigle

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Tkachuk is good. That’s the funny thing.

Not to mention his draft -1 numbers were really good... hard to dominate college as a freshmen (see Makar, Mittelstadt) especially as a draft eligible player on a deep, defensive team.

He dominated Canada at the WJC in his draft year. How is that not indicative of future success?

The Brady Tkachuk haters will get just as much egg as the Matt Tkachuk haters.

I don't think Tkachuk is bad, it's just when not including team needs, Wahlstrom, Hughes, Smith, Dobson, Bouchard, and Boqvist's upside is better than Tkachuk. When you factor the Flames needs, if the Flames somehow get a top 5-10 pick, and one of Wahlstrom, Hughes, and Smith is still available, you do not take Tkachuk over them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad