Pre-Game Talk: 2018 NHL Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
If he starts falling (early 2nd) I'd trade up for Ryan Merkley. Apparently he's a bit of a head case and can't play defense. While the attitude needs to be improved I couldn't care less about the defence because I think if it hasn't improved by the end of his draft+1 (hopefully he gets traded out of Guelph) I'd convert him to a RW. I'm usually against D to W transitions because not only are you taking a player from a great impact position but also I think some players don't have the necessary luck skills for it (Hamilton for example). However Merkley is sublimely skilled, He has that Gaudreau esque effortless skating with great agility and he has great hands. I think the offensive hockey I.Q is there in spades as well, if he were open to it I think he'd be a fantastic RW.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I also like Tristan Nielsen with a late pick. He's producing really well 5v5 despite being on a bad team.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
A few more late round non-CHL potential high-impact players

Radim Toman
Oliver Okuliar
Erik Smolka
Andrej Kukuca

All these guys are long shots but probably deserve a closer look, they all play in Czech/Slovak junior leagues, but the production can’t be discounted.

In the Russian leagues we have

Bulat Shafigullin
Alexei Melnichuk
Ruslan Iskhakov
Danila Zhuravlyov
Yegor Sharangovich

Shafigullin and Sharangovich are probably the two most interesting. Shafigullin is putting up numbers not seen since Kucherov for a draft eligible MHL player, but not quite as impressive. Sharangovich is a Belarusian overager playing in the KHL who impressed during the U20s. This management team has gone for Belarusians before, but they did play NA when drafted.

From Finland/Sweden

Niklas Nordgren
Jerry Turkulainen
Albin Eriksson
Carl Wassenius

From the USHL

Martin Pospisil
Matej Pekar
Alex Steeves
Jack Drury
Roman Durny

I don’t imagine that all these players will be there when the Flames pick but there should be some talent available in the 4th, just a matter of finding it.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Don't see a fit, especially on this board, when, no offence, but Rangers fans are generally blinded by emotion when it comes to their players.

There might be something doable around Fox for Tampa's first, but only if Fox made clear he won't sign in Calgary. But Zuccarello, Namestnikov and Tampa's 1st for Hamilton for example is something that's not happening in this lifetime. Rangers fans on here grossly overrate the value of a 30 year old 5'8" 50-60 winger, the next Cory Conacher and a late first.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Don't see a fit, especially on this board, when, no offence, but Rangers fans are generally blinded by emotion when it comes to their players.

There might be something doable around Fox for Tampa's first, but only if Fox made clear he won't sign in Calgary. But Zuccarello, Namestnikov and Tampa's 1st for Hamilton for example is something that's not happening in this lifetime. Rangers fans on here grossly overrate the value of a 30 year old 5'8" 50-60 winger, the next Cory Conacher and a late first.
I wasn't going to entertain Hamilton, he would cost a Kings Ransom.

I'm thinking something along the line of Zucc and a pick for the rights of Fox or Fox straight up for the TB pick.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
To be honest, it depends entirely on whether Fox is willing to sign with the Flames. If he is, he's probably not available unless it's for an age appropriate right shot right winger/centre. If he isn't inclined to sign here, then a late first is fair, maybe even more than fair given his circumstances. Basically it's hard to say at this point in time.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Totally fair ask man. You aren’t offering a 3rd.
Nope. I'm very high on him and I think a late first round pick is more than fair, but I get it. I hope you guys keep him, but in the event he doesn't sign, I know I'd be glad to offer a pick for him. Only reason I bring up a late first this year is because it's a deep draft, a late first this year is probably like a mid tier first in some other drafts. Also down the road (I assume the closer it gets to his 4th year) the price would likely be less?

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Tbh I kind of think this draft sucks, after 9 it is just a bunch of question marks and future 3rd liners. There is not a lot of high end skill apart from the top end picks

I don’t know if scouting is getting better at identifying all the talent and actually ranking it highly or if this is just a down year though

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Fox has just as good a shot at becoming a #1 defenseman as anyone in the top ten and if we're trading him for a pick, that should be the return. I have no idea why everyone seems to have this belief that because a draft pick is a mystery box that it's some immeasurably valuable asset that you should have to overpay to get. Look at the guys available in the top ten, or even top five, Fox is as good as any of them.

Reactions: snipetype

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Fox has just as good a shot at becoming a #1 defenseman as anyone in the top ten and if we're trading him for a pick, that should be the return. I have no idea why everyone seems to have this belief that because a draft pick is a mystery box that it's some immeasurably valuable asset that you should have to overpay to get. Look at the guys available in the top ten, or even top five, Fox is as good as any of them.
Because of the risk of Fox deciding to go UFA. Minimal, but it’s not impossible.

If he was in the WHL, completely different attitude imo.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Will it be a closet, how about the bathtub with the shower curtain pulled shut, the garage is an option, maybe pack a sack and head off into the woods, wander the deserts of Arizona and get rescued by a Navajo shaman or just have my wife hold me tight.

Sorry preparing for a NYI lottery win with our pick

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Will it be a closet, how about the bathtub with the shower curtain pulled shut, the garage is an option, maybe pack a sack and head off into the woods, wander the deserts of Arizona and get rescued by a Navajo shaman or just have my wife hold me tight.

Sorry preparing for a NYI lottery win with our pick

Just go in front of a mirror and say the following:

"The reality where we have our own first round pick and the current reality are entirely separate, and given the high number of variables affected by the trade, as well as the random variance in outcomes between the two realities, there is no correlation whatsoever between where our pick ends up in this reality and where it would have ended up in that reality. The result of the draft lottery in this reality implies nothing about where we would have picked had we not made the trade. The only impact of the lottery that is relevant to us is where our rivals end up."

Once might not be enough if you're stubborn, but repeat until clarity and understanding is achieved. Then enjoy a relaxing day.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Hamonic for top 15 pick looks bad straight up but one must consider that it's actually going to be Top 15 pick for Hamonic + Tavares.

Reactions: snipetype
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->