Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft - Hawks picking 8 and 27

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
All in all, very happy with the tank. Fell behind the Oilers and Rangers who did all they could to lose.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Now all we need to do is jump them all in the lottery. :thumbu:

20% chance we pick top 3. We’ll see, Saturday April 28th, that’s when we should have a meetup. We’d all have to be carried out of the bar if we won the damn thing.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Obviously Dahlin is the pick at 1, but what if they get 2 or 3? Are there consensus players there?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Nah, I'd stay sober to troll the main boards about it. :laugh:

Good point, save the celly for the actual draft.

Obviously Dahlin is the pick at 1, but what if they get 2 or 3? Are there consensus players there?

It’s Svechnikov 2 way RW and Zadina sniper LW, not sure there is a consensus on which goes 2 or 3. Saw a lot of Zadina in the WJC, personally think he would score 40 with Kane, haven’t seen much of Svechnikov or read much about him.

Elite Prospects
Filip Zadina is a dynamic offensive forward that plays a complete game. A deft and agile skater, he exhibits explosive mobility both up and down the ice. In all three zones, he proactively looks to create problems for the opposition. His awareness is indicative of his high level of hockey sense, and he knows how to make plays and scoring chances materialize. Has a goal scorer's toolbox, complete with the individual puck skills that one comes to expect from today's elite offensive players. The accurate release on his shot is noteworthy and is a defining aspect of his offensive capabilities. Defensively sound, he disrupts lanes and pressures the opposition to make hasty decisions; he is tenacious in pursuit of puck control and transitions up-ice naturally. All-in-all, Zadina can be categorized as both a two-way forward with a well-rounded game and a dominant offensive force.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiHawks10

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Svech and Zadina seem to get the most love at 2/3...Wahlstrom and Tkachuk right there as well with a boat load of defensemen in the top 10...outside of Dahlin at #1, I honestly couldn't tell you how the rest will go, just a lot of talented players in this draft

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

Svechnikov and Zadina. Some have had them in different order but that's your 2 and 3. I'd take Svechnikov, personally. I feel Wahlstrom is being pretty underrated by the masses. He's getting his due from the scouting services and some of the media types that cover prospects but in chatter he is being pretty underrated, in my opinion. Kind of puzzling to me.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002

Berggren--still my favorite for the Nashville pick--with a hat trick today against the Swiss

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Wahlstrom scores again on the PP. Shame that Team USA can't do any better than DeRidder in net. Hope Knight sees some time going forward.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Wahlstrom uses a long stick...kind of like Eichel or Hossa.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
For the Nashville pick I wonder if we go dman should we take a forward with our first pick. ..or vice versa ...or do they load up on forwards cause they loaded up on dmen lady draft?The wild card could be a goalie ...I know risky use sing even a late first on a goalie but we do not have a 2nd rounder and by 3rd round visually top 3-4 rated goalies step gone ..So perhaps if Nashville is 30 or 31 we go to take top rated goalie for the draft?If Nashville 28 or 29 then maybe done forward or d we want is still on the board..
I have not heard of any worthy 1st round goalies except maybe the Czech kid Dostal who Central Scouting has as the top euro goalie ...

TheDoorDoctor

Mar 6, 2013
ONT
I somewhat agree with 50 ( we have problems everywhere(also I only read his first couple sentences)),but of course the only method should always be BPA.

Has anyone really done their research for the ~30th pick? Who stands out in the 25-35 range?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
There's almost never a slam dunk goalie prospect, so spending a first on one doesn't make much sense even in a scenario where that's the only hole in your team's prospect pool. Go best player available and then see what you can get in the second or third rounds or later goalie-wise.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
There's almost never a slam dunk goalie prospect, so spending a first on one doesn't make much sense even in a scenario where that's the only hole in your team's prospect pool. Go best player available and then see what you can get in the second or third rounds or later goalie-wise.

Agreed 100%. However, the next time there is a slam dunk goalie prospect like Vasilevsky, we should jump on it.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Wasn't Malcolm Subban also just as much of a 'slamdunk'? It was unclear which was goong to go first of the two.

That was an eternity ago for me, I don’t remember. My memory is of Vasilevsky being slam dunk, why I remember it that way, I don’t know. Subban had a nice year though, we’ll have to see where he goes from here.

Reactions: TheDoorDoctor

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I think it's more optimal to let other teams develop goalies and trade for that goalie if they're blocked from becoming a FT starter. See Martin Jones in SJ, Bishop when he was traded to Tampa from STL, etc, can also include Raanta and Cam Talbot his first year. Think it's a better strategy than projecting where an 18 year old goalie will be in 5+ years. Not to say they shouldn't at least draft goalies they like if one comes along, but it's such a hard position to project that I rather Bowman spend high picks on skaters where the range of outcomes is much smaller and less likely to result in a wasted pick.

Reactions: migi

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002

Berggren--still my favorite for the Nashville pick--with a hat trick today against the Swiss

Unfortunately, probably boosted his value enough that he won't be available with the second pick anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad