2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal
Hey guys! Does any of you remember that kid Mathias Emilio Pettersen form Norway?

Mathias Emilio Pettersen

I remember that there was a little hype here around him because of what you can see on that clip. I know that he had no competition, to say the least, but he was already playing like a big boy... heads up and everything. He was young, way better than his peers and now he has grown up, playing in USA and is projected to be picked in the later round.

Does any of you have seen him play? Would he be a good pickup in the 5th, 6th or 7th round?

Last edited:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Hey guys! Does any of you remember that kid Mathias Emilio Pettersen form Norway?

Mathias Emilio Pettersen

I remember that there was a little hype here around him because of what you can see on that clip. I know that he had no competition, to say the least, but he was already playing like a big boy... heads up and everything. He was young, way better than his peers and now he has grown up, playing in USA and is projected to be picked in the later round.

Does any of you have seen him play? Would he be a good pickup in the 5th, 6th or 7th round?

I'd rather this youtube kid phenom

Reactions: Stive Morgan

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Our resident USHL guy is @TT1 , but I've seen him a couple times with Muskegon this year. He struggled to produce early on, but managed to have a respectable season. He's skilled for sure, but I dunno, I have other targets.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Anybody think Boqvist could step in this year, or have a really good chance of next year if not this year ?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Fun fact about Berggren's production this year. He led the entire SuperElit in scoring this year: fantastic. However, only 14 of his 57 points were on the powerplay, meaning that he produces more than 1 even strength point per game at that level. If you were to take only Berggren's EV production, he scored at about the same rate as Bokk did including powerplay. People here may be familiar with the fact that midway through the season, the league is split into top 10 and bottom 10. Berggren was in the top 10. One might expect his production to decrease, being that he's facing consistently difficult opposition instead of beating up on Mora. Not so. His production went up by a lot. He had 23 points in 12 games for a rate of 1.92ppg, as compared to 1.31ppg against the whole league.

It doesn't really make sense that an increase in opposition quality is causally related to his increase in production. I think it suggests that he's just getting better. Of course he could have just gotten hot for no reason, but I think the U18's will answer that critique.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Anybody think Boqvist could step in this year, or have a really good chance of next year if not this year ?

Certainly not this coming season. He has a lot of work to do in the SHL. The year after would be appropriate to bring him over if things go well.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Brannstrom had a better draft year than Boqvist and he went #15 in a "weak" draft, what makes Boqvist's game so much better that he deserves to go top-5? Skating? Shooting? Defensive play? Boqvist had a better U18 tournament but that's it.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Brannstrom had a better draft year than Boqvist and he went #15 in a "weak" draft, what makes Boqvist's game so much better that he deserves to go top-5? Skating? Shooting? Defensive play? Boqvist had a better U18 tournament but that's it.

To this day I am not convinced by Brännström. Until very late in the season this year, he didn't have a single goal. There's a reason for this. While he is a fluid skater, he has real difficulty in separating himself from opposing checkers, which also manifests itself in difficulty in creating separation to shoot. Additionally, he has a pretty weak shot. I think he'll get eaten alive by NHL checkers.

None of this is the case with Boqvist. Brännström also played about an extra 4 and a half extra minutes per game compared to Boqvist, and a lot of this had to do with circumstance beyond Boqvist's control. If you look at his game log, you'll notice that Boqvist was dressed for several games and wasn't given a single shift. This was very frustrating if you were paying 44 euros per month to watch him. Brynäs, while a bad team this year, had about 9 defensemen including Boqvist under contract. That means if there were 2 injuries, he was still getting a shift or two. He was given a real shot in the SHL maybe 3 or 4 times.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Boqvist playing most of the year in the U20 league makes it hard to compare him to Brännström in his draft year . Who knows how well Boqvist could have done if he played 30+ games with the big team ? You kinda have to project him and evaluate him on his pure tools instead of comparing him .

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Fun fact about Berggren's production this year. He led the entire SuperElit in scoring this year: fantastic. However, only 14 of his 57 points were on the powerplay, meaning that he produces more than 1 even strength point per game at that level. If you were to take only Berggren's EV production, he scored at about the same rate as Bokk did including powerplay. People here may be familiar with the fact that midway through the season, the league is split into top 10 and bottom 10. Berggren was in the top 10. One might expect his production to decrease, being that he's facing consistently difficult opposition instead of beating up on Mora. Not so. His production went up by a lot. He had 23 points in 12 games for a rate of 1.92ppg, as compared to 1.31ppg against the whole league.

It doesn't really make sense that an increase in opposition quality is causally related to his increase in production. I think it suggests that he's just getting better. Of course he could have just gotten hot for no reason, but I think the U18's will answer that critique.

What's the general knock on him among the scouting community ? Eliteprospects has him at 5'11" which isn't that bad if it's accurate (5 nations had him at 5'10").

Aside from that, he's usually the guy who catches my eye when I've watched Sweden play. It was just an exhibition game, but he did look more at ease than 2 months ago.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
What's the general knock on him among the scouting community ? Eliteprospects has him at 5'11" which isn't that bad if it's accurate (5 nations had him at 5'10").

Aside from that, he's usually the guy who catches my eye when I've watched Sweden play. It was just an exhibition game, but he did look more at ease than 2 months ago.

He's Swedish. No, but I think it's all because of a league quality argument. If he produced 20 or more points in Allsvenskan, he'd be ranked higher. If he were given a bigger shot in SHL he'd be ranked higher. I don't really buy the league quality argument. SuperElit is, in my view, roughly equivalent to the BCHL. Where would someone with a 1.5ppg average in the BCHL be ranked this year? I'd say probably pretty high.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
He's Swedish. No, but I think it's all because of a league quality argument. If he produced 20 or more points in Allsvenskan, he'd be ranked higher. If he were given a bigger shot in SHL he'd be ranked higher. I don't really buy the league quality argument. SuperElit is, in my view, roughly equivalent to the BCHL. Where would someone with a 1.5ppg average in the BCHL be ranked this year? I'd say probably pretty high.

This makes sense. His does compare favorably to some pretty good players who were taken high, if you take into account he's almost a year younger than the comparables I found (Andersson as an example, produced about the same in his D-1 year as an october birthday).

Regarding Grewe, he's a march 2001 birthday. 6' 180lbs and He had 27 points in 36 games in his first SuperElit year. He caught my eye because of his stick skills, speed and O-zone awareness yesterday. He seems like he had nice compete, too. Just someone to keep an eye on because if I had watched the game in a vacuum, I'd think he'd be a first round candidate.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Linus Karlsson got quite a jump in the Euro skaters department.. decent SuperElit production and managed 14 SHL Games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->