2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Craig's List: Bouchard rocketing up draft board - Article - TSN
Button's latest ranking is just out. Bouchard all the way up to the 5th spot, Wahlstrom at number 9 , after Hayton (whaaaaat) . Hughes at 12, Beaudin at number 25 ( ???) . Dang, Craig is off his meds.

His late first & early 2nds are pretty good. Eriksson, Berggren, Gustafsson & Weise in particular have been late 2nds/early 3rds in previous mocks. They've shot up big time.

He has Justin Almeida as a mid-second. I got him in the 7th round in the mock draft.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Button's rankings lists are always unconventional. he has guys he loves, and guys he drops way back from the consensus.

His mock drafts are closer to consensus. But his ranking lists, far different.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Beaudin in front of Veleno is very bold.

Agree. I drafted Beaudin in the mock, but I'm more sure that Veleno will be an NHLer over Beaudin. Veleno's floor is a middle 6 player. His upside is top 6.

I thought that was weird too. People are all over the place when it comes to Veleno. I've seen him top 10 & as a late 1st.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I don’t know how anyone could have Tkachuk over Svechnikov, that’s bizarre. And I wouldn’t rank Hayton ahead of Veleno, and certainly not 20 spots above and in the Top 10. Hayton isn’t even playing centre right now, he’s on Frost’s wing isn’t he?

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
I normally enjoy going through Button's lists and can somewhat see his train of thought despite disagreeing with him.

This time I really can't.

Tkachuk at #2 above Svechnikov?
Smith at #19??? Only 3 spots above McBain.
As much as Veleno isn't loved on this board, as low as #27? When Hayton is #7.
Lundkvist and Kral unranked?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I would just follow the Nucks. I get to see them live and they have so great prospects coming up. Ever since they fired Crawford(we hired him lol), they have been great at drafting.

I don't like Vancouver but if they add Wahlstrom or Boqvist to Boeser and Pettersson? I'd have no choice but to not become a fan there.. as Boeser and Pettersson were my favorites in both those years.

Reactions: The Great Schlemko

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I don't like Vancouver but if they add Wahlstrom or Boqvist to Boeser and Pettersson? I'd have no choice but to not become a fan there.. as Boeser and Pettersson were my favorites in both those years.
Gaudette and Dahlen look great as well. Benning has a job because he has a good draft record. He is worse than Bergevin otherwise.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Someone has to explain Hayton to me. Is it just a case of a proper center shooting up the rankings of a draft very thin on centers? The few times I watched him I didn't see top 10-15 talent nor does he have the stats to justify it. How come so many scouts are so high on him?

Reactions: The Great Schlemko

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Someone has to explain Hayton to me. Is it just a case of a proper center shooting up the rankings of a draft very thin on centers? The few times I watched him I didn't see top 10-15 talent nor does he have the stats to justify it. How come so many scouts are so high on him?

He's certainly getting overrated in the draft due to being a center, he is skilled.. but not overly so, he plays the game the "right way", so scouts value that highly.

Reactions: G0bias

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Someone has to explain Hayton to me. Is it just a case of a proper center shooting up the rankings of a draft year very thin on centers? The few times I watched him I didn't see top 10-15 talent nor does he have the stats to justify it. How come so many scouts are so high on him?
I was just about to ask this. He is playing on a stacked team and he doesn't produce that much. I don't know much about him, so I want to know why some people have him ranked that high.

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
As safe of a bet as we say Veleno is on this board, I think Hayton is even safer. He is fantastic defensively, has decent speed (not a speedster per say), good hands and a good shot. He also has good size.

He doesnt excel at anything other than his defensive play IMO and he's smart and skilled enough to almost for sure make it as a 3rd line centre. A true centre. He is playing wing with Frost right now because the team is so stacked but he is a real centre.

In my viewings of him, he played most of the PK's, wasn't exactly one to create most of the plays from scratch but he showed a very good release on his shot, always in a good position in the offensive zone and was comfortable with the puck on his stick. Having him at #7 is too high but he is exactly the type of player scouts will fall in love with.

I would have him, Veleno and Kotkaniemi in a very close group.

Reactions: G0bias
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad