2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Less then 24 Hours Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He started the tourney pretty slow. Didn't recognize him from the 5 nations, but I liked how he finished. That, and I just cant get over that he earned a regular spot in the SHL at his age. That's no small feet.

I think he gains some height and a lot of weight. He's a July birthday (july 27th actuallu), too. He has so much room for growth and his style is taylor made for this NHL.
Yeah he didnt just make the team there, he actually did really good and produced well on a meh team. My early boner on Lundestrom and NPs unhealthy obsession for Nils opened my eyes on the kid. Hes great.

Reactions: Andrei79

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Yeah. Mete, Brook, Fleury, etc. is a good base for defenseman but we've gotta add to that significantly in the 2nd this year.
Not a fan of the dmen in the 2nd, so I'm still debating between Kotkaniemi and Dobson. I don't think we NEED to get a center for Patches, a defenseman is just as much of a need. It's my main issue with the Chucky trade, value aside, we didn't fill one of our desperate needs.

Reactions: Redux91

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Foudys gonna be a NHL player on athleticism alone I think. Just have a hard time seeing him produce 20 goals. Maybe in a career year on a great team with more ENGs than two Maxs combined?
Or on a poor team like us where he'd end up complimenting top-6 players due to lack of better options, ala Byron and Weise.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm honestly stoked to get Kotkaniemi. We can finally have a crazy deep center core for the next decade once we suck again next year.
Honestly, well have a pretty strong group with Kotkaniemi, Palin, Ikonen, Evans, Bitten and maybe another 2nd or two picks there. Its not a necessity to add a C, but obviously if theres a quality C you take it.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Honestly, well have a pretty strong group with Kotkaniemi, Palin, Ikonen, Evans, Bitten and maybe another 2nd or two picks there. Its not a necessity to add a C, but obviously if theres a quality C you take it.
Nah I'd still take the center. Wouldn't be awful to be deep there in high end talent for once in a million years. Dach-Kotkaniemi-Poehling down the middle and trade Danault for a dman.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Yeah sure, just wouldnt be that sad if we ended up with a D or even a W like Kakko. Imagine reuniting KotK and Kakko?
Sure, but in a deep year for centers I'd like to get one of them. Too bad I won't be following next year's draft because it looks like a great one.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Or on a poor team like us where he'd end up complimenting top-6 players due to lack of better options, ala Byron and Weise.

After London's trades, Foudy gets a role on the top 6 and get I think 30 pts in 20 games (or about that). The guy is a top skater of this draft who can keep and control the puck at high speed... and this generally can translate well and not on the bottom lines. For me, its a swing on the fence.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I probably wont too :/ with me going back to school Ill have a lot less time. Will still read these guys though.
Yeah same. I hate Bergevin but he couldn't have picked a better time to make me disinterested. I'll read a few of the guys reports, I don't trust all of you. :sarcasm:

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Mainly because of his speed, Foudy is one of the best puck moving forward in this draft and his shot(particlarly) & hockey sense ain't bad, he is a surefire middle6F to me with reasonable likelihood of being top6. Versatile player which again mainly because of his speed excel on the PK. I would be excited to get the fastest forward out of this draft, those players tends to translate well at the NHL level.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Not a fan of the dmen in the 2nd, so I'm still debating between Kotkaniemi and Dobson. I don't think we NEED to get a center for Patches, a defenseman is just as much of a need. It's my main issue with the Chucky trade, value aside, we didn't fill one of our desperate needs.
I agree, but I have to think atleast one or two good Dmen will fall to us at 35. One of the Alexeyev/Sandin/Tychonick level Dmen.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Had a better viewing of Sandin today, rose in my rankings, better skater than I originally thought/heard, strong offensive instincts with from what I have heard high competiteveness to go along with it. Misevaluated him tbh honest, I had him too low. Other than Berggren he would probably be my #1 target if he is available with our 1st 2nd rounder.

I am having a better viewing of some players right now, players are still moving on my list.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
@Andrei79 or others.
Can you explain to me the love for Lundkvist, I just don't get it? Statistically he doesn't project well for a D under 6'00. And from my viewing of him (I have seen 4 Sweden games in the WJC18), nothing stands out to me about his game, like where I could see him in a role in which he could strive at the NHL level. To make it clear, there is no top2D upside here IMO. Top4 you need to have some edges about your game that you can exploit particularly if you have limited size. To me, he screams vanilla bottom2D, but I am open to be wrong about him since everyone seems to have him quite high in their rankings. I know he has good mobility and that he is known to make good decisions with and without the puck, but that simply isn't enough for me to justify having him in the first round over the other options.

I feel like by playing in the SHL Lundkvist might be benefiting from the comparison with Boqvist(similar size/age) who is ranked in the top10, but on the flip side, wasn't able to stick in the SHL this year. Sometimes it just ends up that way, Boqvist showed clear separation in skill level with Lundkvist at the WJC18. Lundkvist didn't step up when he became the go-to guy offensively for the defensemen once Boqvist got injured for what was left of the tournament.

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Mainly because of his speed, Foudy is one of the best puck moving forward in this draft and his shot(particlarly) & hockey sense ain't bad, he is a surefire middle6F to me with reasonable likelihood of being top6. Versatile player which again mainly because of his speed excel on the PK. I would be excited to get the fastest forward out of this draft, those players tends to translate well at the NHL level.

Yeah, I just don't see how Foudy doesn't make the NHL in some capacity. Cocaine maybe?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
@Andrei79 or others.
Can you explain to me the love for Lundkvist, I just don't get it? Statistically he doesn't project well for a D under 6'00. And from my viewing of him (I have seen 4 Sweden games in the WJC18), nothing stands out to me about his game, like where I could see him in a role in which he could strive at the NHL level. To make it clear, there is no top2D upside here IMO. Top4 you need to have some edges about your game that you can exploit particularly if you have limited size. To me, he screams vanilla bottom2D, but I am open to be wrong about him since everyone seems to have him quite high in their rankings. I know he has good mobility and that he is known to make good decisions with and without the puck, but that simply isn't enough for me to justify having him in the first round over the other options.

I feel like by playing in the SHL Lundkvist might be benefiting from the comparison with Boqvist(similar size/age) who is ranked in the top10, but on the flip side, wasn't able to stick in the SHL this year. Sometimes it just ends up that way, Boqvist showed clear separation in skill level with Lundkvist at the WJC18. Lundkvist didn't step up when he became the go-to guy offensively for the defensemen once Boqvist got injured for what was left in the tournament.

You're just getting a sample of bad games. Lundkvist was just...bizarre for the first few games of the WJC 18. He played better as the tournament progressed but it still wasn't what I saw in Luleå or the 5 nations. For example, his best asset is his puck moving ability, by far. But at this tournament he looked-off so many forward entry options to do this stupid drop pass play that never worked if it wasn't to Berggren. I could tell when he was going to do it by his body language. It was annoying, and it affected every aspect of his game.

You gotta rank him where you see him. I'm just saying if there's a way for you to get ahold of some Luleå games, or the 5 nations footage you might come away with a different impression.

Reactions: ProspectsFanatic

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
@Andrei79 or others.

I feel like by playing in the SHL Lundkvist might be benefiting from the comparison with Boqvist(similar size/age) who is ranked in the top10, but on the flip side, wasn't able to stick in the SHL this year. Sometimes it just ends up that way, Boqvist showed clear separation in skill level with Lundkvist at the WJC18. Lundkvist didn't step up when he became the go-to guy offensively for the defensemen once Boqvist got injured for what was left in the tournament.
Thats why I have Miller higher, more of a safe bet as a solid second pairing defenseman while Lunkvist has higher bust potential.. but its a nice gamble to take early second round IMO since he can move that puck very well when he is on and I saw him defending properly at the 5 nations...

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012

vgahky.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->