2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Less then 24 Hours Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Ah yes the brilliant scouts who are impervious to ranking big physical players far higher than they should be ranked.

Just a reminder that they had Crouse and Zacha ahead of Provorov, Werenski, Barzal, Rantanen and Connor in 2015 on Bob's list. Clearly masters of their craft.

The only similarity between Tkachuk and Crouse is that they are big and physical wingers. If you watched Tkachuk play in the WJC versus many of the world's best 19 year olds and couldn't recognize his skill set, I'm afraid you can't be helped. He would have lit up the CHL.

That's why they are never wrong I guess....:rolleyes:
In fact why even have a discussion board. Drafting is obviously an exact science after all.....

You can discuss it all you want but Tkachuk is ranked anywhere between 3 and 5 in any reputable scouting guide and is #3 according to Bob McKenzie's poll of scouts. He's a consensus top 5 pick. If you think you know better than NHL scouts, I don't know if that's tipping the scale more on the side of ignorance or arrogance.

Tkachuk's skill level and hockey IQ are so underrated on this board. It's beyond silly.

Reactions: MadMslm and dralaf

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Some good pieces with video breakdown on Jesperi and Hughes by Mitch Brown.

Also did a Q&A on r/habs, talks more Kotkaniemi, Poehling and his targets after #3.

Last edited:

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
That, more specifically his hockey sense, is probably the part of his game that's most up in the air. He's got all the tools in the world but he's prone to make some questionable plays.
yep he has some disconnected moments at times but thats not really a matter of hockey sense, thats more related to floating moments usually coming when the whole team is off, those arent costy mistakes and most of the times he repairs them easily with his top end athletic and skating tools, nothing that cant be worked on... you cant ask a kid who swapped position about 3 years ago to be always perfect and mistakes free but if you take a look at the big picture, thats a kid with huge potential, thats a 6'3 205 lbs moving presence with strong skating, mobility and physicality, who moves the puck very well and has great gap control, very good stick.. there is alot to like about this kid..

Last edited:

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
That, more specifically his hockey sense, is probably the part of his game that's most up in the air. He's got all the tools in the world but he's prone to make some questionable plays.

Whereas Sandin makes the right play.

Gone by No. 25.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Wilde has the better tools and showed he can play smarter hockey in 16 17.
When will you realize that Wilde is a dumb player? so fundamentally flawed defensive its pathetic to see some nights, his gap control is awful, constantly has bad read of the play, bad passing lanes ect ect... thats exactly what a lack of hockey sense is about...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
When will you realize that Wilde is a dumb player? so fundamentally flawed defensive its pathetic to see some nights, his gap control is awful, constantly has bad read of the play, bad passing lanes ect ect... thats exactly what a lack of hockey sense is about...
Ive seen the exact same thing from Miller, cute.

Anyway, i dont give a craps ass about defensive play, i want to draft game breakers.

Reactions: bryan1966

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
The only similarity between Tkachuk and Crouse is that they are big and physical wingers. If you watched Tkachuk play in the WJC versus many of the world's best 19 year olds and couldn't recognize his skill set, I'm afraid you can't be helped. He would have lit up the CHL.

You can discuss it all you want but Tkachuk is ranked anywhere between 3 and 5 in any reputable scouting guide and is #3 according to Bob McKenzie's poll of scouts. He's a consensus top 5 pick. If you think you know better than NHL scouts, I don't know if that's tipping the scale more on the side of ignorance or arrogance.

Tkachuk's skill level and hockey IQ are so underrated on this board. It's beyond silly.
I'm such an ego maniac, that sometimes....I form my own opinions......:dunno:

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Ive seen the exact same thing from Miller, cute.

Anyway, i dont give a craps ass about defensive play, i want to draft game breakers.
look at Miller's advanced stats, he is so much better at defending than Wilde, thats nights and days... if you cant defend well, you better have some unreal puckmoving skills and be a PP beast cause you wont last long in the NHL, as simple as that...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
look at Miller's advanced stats, he is so much better at defending than Wilde, thats nights and days... if you cant defend well, you better have some unreal puckmoving skills and be a PP beast cause you wont last long in the NHL, as simple as that...
Exactly, which Wilde has. Plus as ive stated 263627 times already, ive seen Wilde play sound defensively.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I have Miller over Lundkvist Alexeyeev and Sandin...

Yeah I know :laugh:.

I warmed up to him at the end of the year. I really liked him at the U18, especially. Improved leaps and bounds from the start of the year.

Last edited:

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
If there's anyone in this class who's the closest to a Hagelin/Byron clone, it's Foudy.

Anytime you can get a 20-15 middle-six winger with insane speed and compete levels out of a 2nd, that's good value.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrb1p

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Exactly, which Wilde has. Plus as ive stated 263627 times already, ive seen Wilde play sound defensively.
How do you explain his ridiculously slim offensive production despite the fact he played on a completely stacked first PP unit for the large part of the season until his coach realizes York was much smarter and better at driving at PP? Wilde isnt the offensive dynamo you pretent him to be, he has some good tools such as his shot and sometimes he will rush the puck up ice but the toolbox and IQ is just not there... Also, while his shot is powerful, it gets blocked all the times, just like he couldnt figure players in his shooting lane..

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Yeah I know :laugh:.

I warmed up to him at the end of the year. I really liked him at the U18, especially. Improved leaps and bounds from the start of the year.
I think Lundkvist has more offensive upside but I thought his passing was a bit off at times for an undersized defenseman last U18...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
How do you explain his ridiculously slim offensive production despite the fact he played on a completely stacked first PP unit for the large part of the season until his coach realizes York was much smarter and better at driving at PP? Wilde isnt the offensive dynamo you pretent him to be, he has some good tools such as his shot and sometimes he will rush the puck up ice but the toolbox and IQ is just not there... Also, while his shot is powerful, it gets blocked all the times, just like he couldnt figure players in his shooting lane..
I dont know, how would you explain Millers even worse production?

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
If there's anyone in this class who's the closest to a Hagelin/Byron clone, it's Foudy.

Anytime you can get a 20-15 middle-six winger with insane speed and compete levels out of a 2nd, that's good value.

Call me a fool but I expect Foudy doing what Cliff Pu has done before.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I think Lundkvist has more offensive upside but I thought his passing was a bit off at times for an undersized defenseman last U18...

He started the tourney pretty slow. Didn't recognize him from the 5 nations, but I liked how he finished. That, and I just cant get over that he earned a regular spot in the SHL at his age. That's no small feet.

I think he gains some height and a lot of weight. He's a July birthday (july 27th actuallu), too. He has so much room for growth and his style is taylor made for this NHL.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Foudys gonna be a NHL player on athleticism alone I think. Just have a hard time seeing him produce 20 goals. Maybe in a career year on a great team with more ENGs than two Maxs combined?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad