2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Less then 24 Hours Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
That's not a bad draft.

I like Woo. I'd take Hallander, McLaughlin or Foudy before Olofsson though. It would be tough to pass on Drury at the Fonstad pick. And I'd take Regula before Johansson for the last pick of the round, but that's a decent draft.

Woo is set to break out offensively next season, I’d like him. Olofsson isn’t sexy but it’s good value there. Fonstad is one of my favourites.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
Wonder what impact that will have on him, if he drops a little or not. I kind of had him going to the Wings maybe as a total guess since he played there and they could use a top D prospect but maybe he drops a bit further. Someones going to get a heck of a prospect imo.
I'm sure scouts saw everything they need to see from him at the world's, playing against NHLers, I'm sure they hold that I'm MUCH higher regard than doing pull ups.....

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm sure scouts saw everything they need to see from him at the world's, playing against NHLers, I'm sure they hold that I'm MUCH higher regard than doing pull ups.....

Quotables from Blackbook on Hughes were not kind in regard to his combine.. they said it's all about competing, not the results and they wanted to see him compete and try. If you're a team and you're already apprehensive about how a small d man with weak defense projects at the NHL level, his willingness to not compete at the combine becomes another question mark.

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
Quotables from Blackbook on Hughes were not kind in regard to his combine.. they said it's all about competing, not the results and they wanted to see him compete and try. If you're a team and you're already apprehensive about how a small d man with weak defense projects at the NHL level, his willingness to not compete at the combine becomes another question mark.
I've never seen an unwillingness to compete with Hughes on the ice.... Ever. He answered the questions about size both in the NCAA where he had a better ppg average than the hulking winger Brady Tkachuk and moreso at the world championships. Maybe he was nursing an injury who knows. He's a kid, just taking advice from his agent and people close to him. If your going to let a useless event like the combine Trump his incredible year, you shouldn't be an NHL scout, you should work for publications that overblow these things for click bait.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Just take whoever you think is the best player regardless of position (unless it's a goalie).

What is spat out as BPA is based on your inputs. MB automatically assigns CHaracter, Attitoode and intangibles to guys who play a gritty game. So if these qualities are overweighted compared to skill, then Tkachuk is your guy. Most here would not consider him BPA, but there you go.

This is one reason I think this BPA talk is misleading in a way. We say just draft BPA, simple. Not so much, especially with this organization.

Reactions: Runner77

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I've never seen an unwillingness to compete with Hughes on the ice.... Ever. He answered the questions about size both in the NCAA where he had a better ppg average than the hulking winger Brady Tkachuk and moreso at the world championships. Maybe he was nursing an injury who knows. He's a kid, just taking advice from his agent and people close to him. If your going to let a useless event like the combine Trump his incredible year, you shouldn't be an NHL scout, you should work for publications that overblow these things for click bait.

Quinn makes so much sense for the Habs really. He checks off so many boxes. Obviously we need a C, but in many ways we need a top pairing puck mover more. Especially if he can learn to run a great PP. I don't think he's our guy, but it would be exciting if he was.

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
What is spat out as BPA is based on your inputs. MB automatically assigns CHaracter, Attitoode and intangibles to guys who play a gritty game. So if these qualities are overweighted compared to skill, then Tkachuk is your guy. Most here would not consider him BPA, but there you go.

This is one reason I think this BPA talk is misleading in a way. We say just draft BPA, simple. Not so much, especially with this organization.
Kotkaniemi is no Daisy. In the games I watched he was very physically ingaged. Especially for a seventeen year old in a professional league.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017

Yes. The other thing is that the gap between these guys is so small, and BPA can be measured in so many ways according to all kinds of biases. At this point Timmins will have considered so many things and position can't really be separated from projection completely.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

This CHaracter narrative is way overblown. The org just wants to add guys who compete and want to be the best player they can be. And it's logical. So much of a players development occurs post draft, so you want guys who are going to improve themselves.

This all said, that's why I don't see us taking Tkachuk over Zadina. Zadina competes just as much, and is a better fit. Taking Tkachuk over him at this point would just be adding size for the sake of size. But reading between the lines, I don't think the org values size as much as it did a half dozen years ago.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
where do you see him going in the draft?

It's going to depend so much on which teams fall in love with who. He's most probably the 2nd or 3rd D in the draft. It will depend on if the teams want a puck mover with elite skating over a larger body... and a million other things.

You can't envy these scouts this year especially. So many good players grouped so tight. There will be mistakes! Hopefully we don't make them.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'd be fine with him at three tbh.:naughty: playing next to Weber...... But if your holding me to one guess... I'd say... Six...

I'd be fine with him at 3, although I would rather they trade down if they can get a late 1st or early 2nd.

It's going to depend so much on which teams fall in love with who. He's most probably the 2nd or 3rd D in the draft. It will depend on if the teams want a puck mover with elite skating over a larger body... and a million other things.

You can't envy these scouts this year especially. So many good players grouped so tight. There will be mistakes! Hopefully we don't make them.

That's why I want to trade down, get a late 1st/early 2nd and we still land someone really good as long as we stay in the top 10 from the sounds of it.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Well the WC was played on bigger ice where good skaters are advantaged and we all know that Hugues can skate amongst the the best, thats not the issue with him, he also played a limited role so you cant really use the WC to project him in the NHL IMO, Hughes' real test will be come on NHL sized ice, against men, in the most physical league in the world...

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

I didn't like him not competing in it. Dobson competed. It says a bit about you and if it was an injury then say it's an injury. But it wasn't, he just didn't want to do it. That's gonna knock you down. No one questions Hughes talent but I can guarantee you that when it's tight like it is, things like that will drop you down.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This CHaracter narrative is way overblown. The org just wants to add guys who compete and want to be the best player they can be. And it's logical. So much of a players development occurs post draft, so you want guys who are going to improve themselves.

This all said, that's why I don't see us taking Tkachuk over Zadina. Zadina competes just as much, and is a better fit. Taking Tkachuk over him at this point would just be adding size for the sake of size. But reading between the lines, I don't think the org values size as much as it did a half dozen years ago.

Here's the thing. They are kids. When Galchenyuk was drafted. He went to the gym the next day to put in work. There's really no way of knowing who will be what later and as we know so many false narratives get created in the NHL about players especially when teams do poorly. What they do today may change when they get millions in their pocket and beautiful women throwing themselves at them and people who look to use and exploit them at every turn.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I'd be fine with him at 3, although I would rather they trade down if they can get a late 1st or early 2nd.

That's why I want to trade down, get a late 1st/early 2nd and we still land someone really good as long as we stay in the top 10 from the sounds of it.

Yeah the trade down is so appealing this year.... I hope so too especially if we get two teams who are going gaga for Tkachuk and/or Zadina

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

How did they conclude he didn't compete ?

And yeah I can see the negative. It's only a Combine. It's only practice. It's only a regular season game Etc.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
How did they conclude he didn't compete ?

And yeah I can see the negative. It's only a Combine. It's only practice. It's only a regular season game Etc.

Well he attended the combine for interviews but he refused to participate in any of the tests due to fatigue from the World's. But Dobson had just finished leading his team to the Memorial Cup and that's a lot more hockey in the Q plus playoffs plus mem cup. If you had the two close would you take the guy who chose not to show up or the guy who put his fatigue body on the line?

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
After checking out a bit more Barrett Hayton, he does have good hands nowhere close to best hands in the draft but he does show some propensity to use them with some great edgework. His straight line speed isn't great. He does have a pretty great wrist shot. Not sure I see him as a true C though, his playmaking and vision isn't high level so I worry about him being a puck distributor at the NHL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->