2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Less then 24 Hours Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
It’s not encouraging if they draft him at 6.

Scary part is we know Grant knows something. But to what extent?

I'm having less and less of a problem with that as Kotkaniemi shows that he can play center. He's giving me Chytil vibes, only he's more physically dominant, and his shot is way more dangerous, and I'd say his hands are better.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Watching Canada/Sweden game late, quick personal observations;

Noel: Liking what I am seeing asside from the ****ty balance.
Fonstad: I don't understand the love for him, he didn't impressed me, doesn't generate much, weak along the boards, not a speedster.
Veleno: Best pivots to create space I ever seen pretty much, good puck-mover.
Dellandrea: Growing on me. Love is compete level, plays the game the right way.
McBain: Leaves me wanting more.
Thomas: Invisible.
Foody: Skate like the wind, his game will translate some way pretty sure.
Dudas: Not a fan. Too small sadly. Like his compete level, but doesn't generate much.

McIaac: Vanilla. Don't see much offensive upside at the NHL level, don't see what he is doing on the PP.
Merkley: His best game, but I can see why people are frustrated with his play, truly lacks of intensity in his game, leaves you wanting more.
Smith: Impressed. Poise. Strong puck-moving ability. Smart.
Bahl: He isn't just big, knows how to play the game effectively.

___
Berggren: Riser. Great skater with great vision.
Hallander: 2nd best forward for Sweden, but more of 2nd rounder than a 1st rounder in my view.
Gustafsson: Decent all-around, but his lack of speed will limit his game.

Boqvist: Puck-moving sniper. What else can you ask for?
Lundqvist: Not sold on him. Need better viewing.
Ginning: Trash. Puck is a grenade when on his stick, no mobility.

Thomas was injured on his like second shift and Hallander isn't in the tournament. There was a Hogglander tho.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Why we will be drafting Tkachuk if we dont get the 1st overall, maybe the 2nd:

1. Tkachuk is begotten of Keith and brother of Matthew.

2. Tkachuk is MBs kind of player. We all know it. And MB is convinced CHaracter, attitude, has it over talent. Not that Tkachuk does not have talent, but others have much more.

3. He doesnt fill any position of need. So would make MB kind of sense.

4. MB wants the post season in 2018-19 because it likely will decide if he has a job or not. So everything will be done with an eye to that. Tkachuks brother made the Flames and was contributing the year he was drafted. Brady is about 200 lbs so size wise he is NHL big. MB will find him really appealing because it will be a big deal for MB if he can have our pick in tje line up this fall, to help MB keep his job.

5. Its a safe pick. He should at least be a 3rd liner. As per Habs drafting culture and general philosophy to hockey in all respects.

Main points are 1 and 4. We need big luck here to save us from this fool and that will only be guaranteed if we get the 1st overall.

And its all on Molson for not firing this guy and for setting the short term goal of post season money now as what will decide MBs fate.

I should be excited about the draft. I partially am, but below pick 1 and say 2 , I see yet another historical folly we are about to commit and will be going nuts about for years to come.

Last edited:

MeanMugging91

Jan 6, 2016

giphy.gif

That would be absolutely brutal to walk away with Hayton as our first round pick.... After a season like we just had all we have to look forwards to is the draft.. I'm really hoping for one of Dahlin Svech Zedina Boqvist Wahlstrom.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
That would be absolutely brutal to walk away with Hayton as our first round pick.... After a season like we just had all we have to look forwards to is the draft.. I'm really hoping for one of Dahlin Svech Zedina Boqvist Wahlstrom.

I wouldn't be against trading for another pick in the 12-15 range and taking Hayton. In the top-7 we need to go BPA. Hayton above Boqvist just seems nuts to me.

Reactions: MeanMugging91

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Let's say that Kotkaniemi became a 1C: not McDavid or Matthews, but a legit 1C. Maybe something approaching Eric Staal in his good years.

How much would everyone regret chosing Quinn Hughes or Adam Boqvist over him? I suppose that depends on what they end up as. You can substitute your own upside and reasoning for it for these two prospects to make your case.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Let's say that Kotkaniemi became a 1C: not McDavid or Matthews, but a legit 1C. Maybe something approaching Eric Staal in his good years.

How much would everyone regret chosing Quinn Hughes or Adam Boqvist over him? I suppose that depends on what they end up as. You can substitute your own upside and reasoning for it for these two prospects to make your case.
I currently have Kotkaniemi ahead of Hughes so IDGAF.

Boqvist is a different beast entirely and im a bit tired of people lumping them together. Boqvist literally has every single tool you want in a top pairing Dman that can dominate in all situations.

If both pan out, id still want Kotkaniemi. The Habs need centers, Dmen are easy to come by, 1Cs arent.

Now its the likeliness of this happening that changes things. Kotkaniemi certainly has 1C upside, but how likely is that of happening as opposed to Boqvist being a 1D.

Reactions: PKwonthetrade

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

I can't foresee a situation for me, unless we are picking 7th where Hughes will be the guy -I- want to pick. It will likely be Boqvist or Wahlstrom who I will be championing and if Kotkaniemi became a 1C, I wouldn't regret the pick in any way because I believed in the upside of those players more and I will always stick with my assessment at the time.

Obviously if we go with someone like Dobson, Bouchard or Tkachuk and Kotkaniemi becomes a 1C, that's where the regret comes in. While I have Dobson and potentially Bouchard rated higher on my list, neither of them are my favorite prospects in the draft like Wahlstrom and Boqvist are.

Reactions: WinterLion

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I can't foresee a situation for me, unless we are picking 7th where Hughes will be the guy -I- want to pick. It will likely be Boqvist or Wahlstrom who I will be championing and if Kotkaniemi became a 1C, I wouldn't regret the pick in any way because I believed in the upside of those players more and I will always stick with my assessment at the time.

Obviously if we go with someone like Dobson, Bouchard or Tkachuk and Kotkaniemi becomes a 1C, that's where the regret comes in. While I have Dobson and potentially Bouchard rated higher on my list, neither of them are my favorite prospects in the draft like Wahlstrom and Boqvist are.

Really? No regret whatsoever even if Kotkaniemi becomes the center we've wanted for decades? A player who will almost certainly have the opportunity to pick? Again. Not taking a toaster into the bath tub? Even if Boqvist becomes more like Torey Krug than Erik Karlsson?

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Really? No regret whatsoever even if Kotkaniemi becomes the center we've wanted for decades? A player who will almost certainly have the opportunity to pick? Again. Not taking a toaster into the bath tub? Even if Boqvist becomes more like Torey Krug than Erik Karlsson?

Nope, I've ranked them to the best of my ability. I can admit I was wrong if Kotkaniemi is the better player and try to adjust and learn whatever lessons there is to learn.. I'm only ever bummed if we pass on someone I have rated higher for someone lower and they don't achieve what they need to.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
3-10 is a total crapshoot!! Everyone has different opinions!! Fun! Let's hope Timmins finds us the winner!

I am not a fan of Hayton... I think he has overacheived and will fall back to earth once other players in the draft start hitting the gym more.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Kotkaniemi rising this late is an interesting surprise for a guy who's been following the draft from far for most of the year. He's a late birthday, he's got some good size, comes from an organization with a fairly good reputation (Saarela, Lindell, Aho, Lindbohm, Raanta, Armia have all played in the NHL since 2012) and most importantly, he has the name of our savior in his name: kotkaNIEMI. He's an E5 to MTL in my books.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
3-10 is a total crapshoot!! Everyone has different opinions!! Fun! Let's hope Timmins finds us the winner!

I am not a fan of Hayton... I think he has overacheived and will fall back to earth once other players in the draft start hitting the gym more.

Hayton would be a very bad joke, I don't believe he will finish in my top20.

Reactions: WinterLion

c_robio

Feb 3, 2006
Is Kotkaniemi playing C in the U-18 ? Because I read somewhere that he has been playing wing this year

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Hayton will probably play in the NHL, one of those I could see as a sure shot. BUT, I'm also pretty sure he, at best, will be a bottom 6 player. Possibly a good one, but still a bottom 6 player. The kind of player a great team needs to solidify it's cheap depth and it's bottom lines without having to rely on UFAs. But not the kind of player a team lacking in pure skill needs to draft... it all comes to necessities at some point, and we need skill, not 'well-rounded complete 2-way good without the puck' guys.

Problem is, I think management sees that type of capability as a skill, which is worrying.

Always thought that 'well-rounded complete 2-way good without the puck' kids are just kids with no defining skill or aspect that needs to work on deficiencies in order to have a chance for the big league, complimentary fillers that support real skill. They shouldn't be the building blocks of a team, it just makes no sense... maybe I'm a bit harsh, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->