2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Less then 24 Hours Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
Wahlstrom: I think he lacks hockey IQ and his stats are inflated by playing with a great center. Zadina is a much better prospect.

ginomini

May 25, 2014
Hot take sounds like someone who hasn't watched much of Wahlstrom.

When Wahlstrom gets the puck. He's dominant. Does he need to do more when he doesn't have it? Yes. But that's easily coachable and he shows enough spurts that it isn't like he doesn't want to do it, rather that he's more thinking about where he can go to intercept the puck rather than go get it.

He's an intelligent player. Since Jack Hughes has been on his line, Wahlstrom has put his ego aside and allowed Jack Hughes to be the play driver. Wahlstrom gets open in good shooting positions and creates.

I guess Wahlstrom is as close to Pacioretty as Ovechkin is close to Pacioretty?

Yes maybe Wahlstrom will be better than Pacioretty at creating offense, but essentially what you are getting is a sniper, someone who wants to finish the play.
Get off of your high horses, I'm not criticizing Wahlstrom, only saying that he risk of eventually getting the same criticism that Pacioretty receives and that Boeser will receive in Vancouver if ge ever has a so so season.

Reactions: dralaf

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Wahlstrom: I think he lacks hockey IQ and his stats are inflated by playing with a great center. Zadina is a much better prospect.

Wahlstrom had the best PPG of his team before Hughes, which was also a better PPG than any player on last year team. He does not need Hughes to look good. Since he is been playing with Hughes both had unreal production. You can't throw inflated out there and take it for face value.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I have to admit, Nordgren is looking real good.

And Kotkaniemi's progress in every tourney since the last U18 has been insane. His skating has taken a step every time. I'm starting to think he might get picked top 5.

I'm also taking note of a lot of these finns elligible for next year. Theres a lot of talent I noticed at the 5 nations, but Im liking the speed and skill. Honka in particular is a beaut.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Pacthes has better straight line speed, but Wahlstrom has much better hands, his IQ/vision is also better, I do believe he isn't as soft as Patches and Wahlstrom clearly has a better one-timer. All and all, Wahlstrom is more dynamic player; Pac is just good of the rush, he is awful on the PP with restricted time and space, that isn't the case for Wahlstrom, he is actually quite the opposite in that regard, he excels on the PP. I prefer the Boeser comparison over this one.

Max also has the worst one-timer I’ve ever seen. Wahlstrom has a great one.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
What does Tkachuk has over Veleno exactly?

I've bashed Tkachuk as a top 5 pick, but I do like him.

I'm not sure where I'd give Veleno the edge, save his speed. Even as far as playmaking goes I like how Tkachuk very quickly finds an open linemate. He's always aware of how the play's developing which gives that mature NHL quality we saw at the WJC. Veleno's a bit of the opposite where I'm not sure which part of his game translates to the pros offensively, again save his speed.

Add Tkachuks better shot and his strength and its not all that close to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeThreeKings

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Pacthes has better straight line speed, but Wahlstrom has much better hands, his IQ/vision is also better, I do believe he isn't as soft as Patches and Wahlstrom clearly has a better one-timer. All and all, Wahlstrom is more dynamic player; Pac is just good of the rush, he is awful on the PP with restricted time and space, that isn't the case for Wahlstrom, he is actually quite the opposite in that regard, he excels on the PP. I prefer the Boeser comparison over this one.
I find it the opposite with Pacs, the more space and time he has the worse he gets, he should never have the puck on his stick on the PP for more than 1/2 second to shoot it. If Wahlstrom can at least be an option on the PP that D need to respect his passing ability that's good enough for me

I'm calling it now tho, I want Tkachuk to be our pick, if he's gone then I want Bouchard

I have only been right once in 20 years on who I wanted and who they drafted (Chucky) so we should be safe

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I'm throwing it out there, but stylistically , as far as being somewhat of a big body with a long stride, a RH shot, great hands, an elite shot and seeming less engaged on the forecheck, he plays and looks a lot like Laine does.

He doesn't have Laine's upside, Laine's a once every decade player, for anyone who thinks that's what I'm saying.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Wilde been invisible or ineffective with the puck from my viewing thus far. I did not find Samuelsson awful, it is mostly Wilde that been a disappointment from what I have seen. I will probably keep Wilde in front because of his upside, but he is a risky selection, his skating may be mesmerizing us, clear lack of IQ in his game.
Im not the biggest Wilde fan, in fact I think his lack of hockey IQ is a major concern, but I still have him over M.Samuelsson easily, Samuelsson is vastly overrated, he has average skills and has a tendency to flumble when its coming too fast on him, waste of a pickd IMO. K'andré Miller is the best overall defenseman of that US D squad IMO and the most likely to reach the NHL and have the longest carreer, I also see some untapped offensive upside in this kid... Dumb Wilde is the most skilled of the 3, unfortunately, the brain is missing...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Im not the biggest Wilde fan, in fact I think his lack of hockey IQ is a major concern, but I still have him over M.Samuelsson easily, Samuelsson is vastly overrated, he has average skills and has a tendency to flumble when its coming too fast on him, waste of a pickd IMO. K'andré Miller is the best overall defenseman of that US D squad IMO and the most likely to reach the NHL and have the longest carreer, I also see some untapped offensive upside in this kid... Dumb Wilde is the most skilled of the 3, unfortunately, the brain is missing...

Here... we... go... again...

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Curiously, do you see Millers offensive upside as something more than what he can potentially do with his shot and his ability to pretty much power through the neutral zone. Mind you that's already plenty, but I was wondering if you saw more facets than those.

But yeah, theres a legit argument for Miller, not that any of them are must drafts.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
There is so much « hate » around Tkachuk lately and still some scouts put him in the top 5. Is there a chance Bergevin select Tkachuk 4-5-6-7th ? He seems to have the right attitude lol

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

giphy.gif

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Take a look at the Wilde thread on the prospects board, apparently Im not the only one who think so...
People are shortsighted. Youre willing to draft a guy like K'andre Miller ahead of Wilde, thats just riduculous. Would you draft Tkachuk ahead of Wahlstrom too? (Not that Miller is even close to Tkachuk as a prospect.)

Also, what people claim is poor "IQ" is usually coaching or risk taking. Most of the time these kids end up dominating everywhere they go and they hit a wall a long the way, it happens. You have to look above the play on the ice, further than the gaffes. What can you do with Bode Wilde and what can you do with K'Andre Miller. And no, appeal to majority will not change my perception of the two players.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Curiously, do you see Millers offensive upside as something more than what he can potentially do with his shot and his ability to pretty much power through the neutral zone. Mind you that's already plenty, but I was wondering if you saw more facets than those.

But yeah, theres a legit argument for Miller, not that any of them are must drafts.
Im not sure what Miller's offensive upside is at this point, he should get more opportunities on the PP in the next couple of years at Wisconsin, so we will see how his offensive game progress but as of right now, Im more looking at a big strong second pairing kid with very good skating\speed and mobility, great gap control, very good stick work who excels at taking away time and space from opponents' fowards, I see a kid very tough to play against in all 3 zones since his mix of size skating and mobility allow him to crush guys with grace about as much as he wants to, I see a kid who reacts well under pressure when its coming fast on him, use his smart and physical attributes to make the safe plays, I see first and foremost a kid who has about all the tools, the fundamentals and smarts of a future quality NHL defenseman who can do a bit of everything, including transitionning the puck well and involve himself offensively at times to support the offense... I would be fine if his offensive skills dont develop further since he already has a good shot and some pretty decent puckmoving skills while being very solid and reliable defensively...In Miller you get a guy who already plays like a Pro and can do a bit of everything, I will take that over a guy who struggles to produce on a stacked 1st PP unit and who cant be relied on defensively cause the brain is just not there.. I dont really believe in Wilde since the firstcouple of games I saw him play, so thats why I have Miller over him...

Last edited:

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Watching Canada/Sweden game late, quick personal observations;

Noel: Liking what I am seeing asside from the shitty balance.
Fonstad: I don't understand the love for him, he didn't impressed me, doesn't generate much, weak along the boards, not a speedster.
Veleno: Best pivots to create space I ever seen pretty much, good puck-mover.
Dellandrea: Growing on me. Love is compete level, plays the game the right way.
McBain: Leaves me wanting more.
Thomas: Invisible.
Foody: Skate like the wind, his game will translate some way pretty sure.
Dudas: Not a fan. Too small sadly. Like his compete level, but doesn't generate much.

McIaac: Vanilla. Don't see much offensive upside at the NHL level, don't see what he is doing on the PP.
Merkley: His best game, but I can see why people are frustrated with his play, truly lacks of intensity in his game, leaves you wanting more.
Smith: Impressed. Poise. Strong puck-moving ability. Smart.
Bahl: He isn't just big, knows how to play the game effectively.

___
Berggren: Riser. Great skater with great vision.
Gustafsson: Decent all-around, but his lack of speed will limit his game.

Boqvist: Puck-moving sniper. What else can you ask for?
Lundqvist: Not sold on him. Need better viewing.
Ginning: Trash. Puck is a grenade when on his stick, no mobility.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad