2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Less then 24 Hours Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
First, it isn't by using capital letters that you make your point more convincing, childish thing to do. Anyway, who in the top10 isn't projected to become a highly valuable player. About Hayton, I would be very surprised if Hayton becomes a 1st line center in the NHL. And minimum top6 is just wrong. He is projected as a versatile middle6 center by virtually everyone. Let's not get ahead of ourself, he is not the next Kopitar or Bergeron. Reading the previous tweet, if he has Hayton over Wahlstrom that's very laughable.
Me or grant?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Any word yet on where Wahlstrom will play next year? Just saw that Team USA has picked Tkachuk's coach at BU to replace Poehling's coach for the WJC's next year.

According to Elite Prospects, he'll be at Harvard University in the NCAA next year.

696e52c2-8794-4048-8a7b-3794d2475248.png

ginomini

May 25, 2014
I still find it weird how people can't stop complaining about how Pacioretty is not involved enough offensively, that he glides, etc.
And yet, the most desired prospect for the Habs on this board (at 4 oa or higher) is Wahlstrom who does pretty much the same things in the O zone.

Reactions: Riggins and dralaf

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Grant.

___
Do you guys still all have Wilde over M.Samuelsson. I clearly had Wilde in front, but Samuelsson been superior thus far in the tournament.

Samuelssons been awful. Wilde hasn't flashed here like he does outside of this competition and there's probably a Jake Gardiner brain in there..

But Samuelsson can't do much right out there.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I still find it weird how people can't stop complaining about how Pacioretty is not involved enough offensively, that he glides, etc.
And yet, the most desired prospect for the Habs on this board (at 4 oa or higher) is Wahlstrom who does pretty much the same things in the O zone.

Hot take sounds like someone who hasn't watched much of Wahlstrom.

When Wahlstrom gets the puck. He's dominant. Does he need to do more when he doesn't have it? Yes. But that's easily coachable and he shows enough spurts that it isn't like he doesn't want to do it, rather that he's more thinking about where he can go to intercept the puck rather than go get it.

He's an intelligent player. Since Jack Hughes has been on his line, Wahlstrom has put his ego aside and allowed Jack Hughes to be the play driver. Wahlstrom gets open in good shooting positions and creates.

I guess Wahlstrom is as close to Pacioretty as Ovechkin is close to Pacioretty?

Garp

Jul 5, 2004
Here
Hot take sounds like someone who hasn't watched much of Wahlstrom.

When Wahlstrom gets the puck. He's dominant. Does he need to do more when he doesn't have it? Yes. But that's easily coachable and he shows enough spurts that it isn't like he doesn't want to do it, rather that he's more thinking about where he can go to intercept the puck rather than go get it.

He's an intelligent player. Since Jack Hughes has been on his line, Wahlstrom has put his ego aside and allowed Jack Hughes to be the play driver. Wahlstrom gets open in good shooting positions and creates.

I guess Wahlstrom is as close to Pacioretty as Ovechkin is close to Pacioretty?

Mmm I have see Wahlstrom a couple of times and I think he fits the Pacioretty mold.
Hear me out, I'm a pacioretty fan and I really like him. He's one of the most underrated player in the league.

Wahlstrom won't drive a line in the NHL but will be a great goalscorer ala Pacioretty or Boeser.

This Wahlstrom can do no harm is getting ridiculous honestly. He's a good prospect, but he's not an elite one.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Didn’t both play the wing this season for their teams? A player that isn’t even a centre at 17/18 is not going to be a 1st line centre in the NHL.

Hayton is definitely a natural center. He was put on the wing at times this year to give him more playing time on a stacked Sault team. With Frost graduating next year, Hayton will play center fulltime.

Hayton definitely projects as a center as a pro. Don't see him as a #1 but definitely as a defensively responsible #2 or at worst #3.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Zadina scores consistently at the hash mark or close to the net, no matter the play.

He has as good a shooting array as anyone else in this draft. Wahlstrom's wrister might be better, but thats it.
Zadina is the most precise shooter in this draft. Period. He has a deadly quick release and needs next to no time to pick his targets.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Samuelssons been awful. Wilde hasn't flashed here like he does outside of this competition and there's probably a Jake Gardiner brain in there..

But Samuelsson can't do much right out there.

Wilde been invisible or ineffective with the puck from my viewing thus far. I did not find Samuelsson awful, it is mostly Wilde that been a disappointment from what I have seen. I will probably keep Wilde in front because of his upside, but he is a risky selection, his skating may be mesmerizing us, clear lack of IQ in his game.

Last edited:

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Zadina is the most precise shooter in this draft. Period. He has a deadly quick release and needs next to no time to pick his targets.

He is also amazing at making little moves in tight to get his shot off.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I do see some similarities between Patches (now) and Wahlstrom... much of it has to do with size and shot. Patches was a much different player back in the day. He used his speed more and went to the outside and was much more of a pass guy. He was always really good off the rush.

Wahlstrom seems to be able to dangle better and can go through guys. He already seems to be more comfortable creating off the cycle. I think Wahlstrom is definitely a better prospect than Patches was. The fact that he is a right handed shot will really help him moving forward. He is going to score a lot of PPG setting up in the Stamkos spot.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Wahlstrom creates offense better than Zadina and Tkachuk. Grants just an idiot when it comes to scouting offense.

Also putting Bouchard ahead of Boqvist? As NP would say.. that's "wrong think"

Grant isnt as plugged in to the Habs as you think. He has only been right in mid round targets and I think that was only last year because I think Timmins has helping him out a bit with launching his new site. One way to do that is feeding him info just before their selection.

He was wrong on Sergachev. I don't know if he called Juulsen or not. Don't think he had them interested in Scherbak. He only defended McCarron after the fact.
Grant definitely called McCarron. He also pretty much called every habs pick last year on twitter. Say what you want, but he's dialed in.

Reactions: dralaf

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I'm somewhat disappointed with Dellandria's play during this tournament. He's probably been too good for us to have a chance to get him in the 2nd round, which completely sucks.

Reactions: Spearmint Rhino

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Wilde been invisible or ineffective with the puck from my viewing thus far. I did not find Samuelsson awful, it is mostly Wilde that been a disappointment from what I have seen. I will probably keep Wilde in front because of his upside, but he is a risky selection, his skating may be mesmerizing us, clear lack of IQ in his game.

So far I haven't been blown away by any of the American D, and I am usually a big fan. The US team hasn't really played that well yet though so there is still time. K'andre Miller definitely has shown some glimpses...

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I'm somewhat disappointed with Dellandria's play during this tournament. He's probably been too good for us to have a chance to get him in the 2nd round.

Haha I read the first line.... and said wtf!?!

Yeah he definitely seems like a Timmins pick too. You never know, there are a lot of guys and we pick high in the 2nd.... somethings gotta give...

Reactions: dralaf

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Pacthes has better straight line speed, but Wahlstrom has much better hands, his IQ/vision is also better, I do believe he isn't as soft as Patches and Wahlstrom clearly has a better one-timer. All and all, Wahlstrom is more dynamic player; Pac is just good of the rush, he is awful on the PP with restricted time and space, that isn't the case for Wahlstrom, he is actually quite the opposite in that regard, he excels on the PP. I prefer the Boeser comparison over this one.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Pacthes has better straight line speed, but Wahlstrom has much better hands, his IQ/vision is also better, I do believe he isn't as soft as Patches and Wahlstrom clearly has a better one-timer. All and all, Wahlstrom is more dynamic player; Pac is just good of the rush, he is awful on the PP with restricted time and space, that isn't the case for Wahlstrom, he is actually quite the opposite in that regard, he excels on the PP. I prefer the Boeser comparison over this one.
I've been reading and saying a better skating version of Boeser.

Reactions: Runner77

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Lol what is Samy going to do in the NHL? Something a 5th round pick would do? You dont draft samuelsson over wilde. Ever.

What does he do? Not busting.
I just like people challenging my opinion by playing devil's advocate tbh. Wilde is superior I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad