2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Less then 24 Hours Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Jeez you must be seriously critical if you're only giving Dahlin a 70 for puck skills. He's possibly got the best puck skills of any defenseman I've seen
I'm assuming he's using the 20-80 scouting scale. Pronman uses it sometimes in his rankings. Though somewhat unsual to see it used for "length" here - why would Tkachuk be a 70 and Svechnikov 60 in that category when they're both 6'3?

Last edited:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I think there are other ways to get that #1 C than reaching for Kotkaniemi and crossing your fingers. The most obvious one is throwing a **** ton of money at Tavares. If that fails, then next year looks like a great year to be in the lottery if you need a Center. As well, I think Pacioretty could fetch a comparable lottery ticket to Kotkaniemi in return. We also could dedicate our many 2nd rounders on some lottery ticket centers.

He's not a reach. He just isn't. Tavares isn't coming here, and two top centers are better than one in the case we do end up drafting high next year as well. Jesperi has a better chance of being one of those top centers than Poehling does.

I think we just need to accept the fact that there just isn't a sure fire stud center in this draft. A year from now Kotkaniemi could be looking like Gabe Vilardi, Kupari could be looking like Filip Chytil or Barrett Hayton could be looking like Robert Thomas. But I think the best way to get one of those guys is through a trade as opposed to using the 3rd pick on them.

Heck I think we could trade the 3rd pick and get a top flight center prospect who's a year older.

There isn't a sure fire top line center in this draft. There is, however, a good bet.

Reactions: lou and WinterLion

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I'm assuming he's using the 20-80 scouting scale. Pronman uses it sometimes in his rankings. Though somewhat unsual to see it used for "length" here - why would Tkachuk be a 70 and Svechnikov 60 in that category when they're both 6'3?
I combine length and strength. Length also doesn't just mean height- you don't play with your forehead. Length for me is more range on the ice, primarily the distance from your feet to your stickblade.

Also heights and weights are all unofficial until I see them at the combine so there could be some tweaking there. Maybe Quinn Hughes shows up at 5'11" 185? Maybe Zadina comes in under 6'? Maybe Tkachuk is 6'4"?

And ya, using the 20-80 scale.

Last edited:

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I’m not Afraid to say it I find dahlin a bit overhyped and overrated

But that’s why I have a day job

I think it’s no brainer that jack drury is highly touted by us . Hope we pick a fwd, Center, pmd and another Center in the second round

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I’m not Afraid to say it I find dahlin a bit overhyped and overrated

But that’s why I have a day job

I think it’s no brainer that jack drury is highly touted by us . Hope we pick a fwd, Center, pmd and another Center in the second round
Dahlin is special, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it takes him a little while to get accustomed to the NHL ala Hedman. I said it months ago, and I still think it's true, but I think Quinn Hughes will outproduce him early on.

Reactions: Fazkovsky

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Jacob Olofsson is really a guy I want

Big 2 way Center that had decent season in the shl as. A 17 year old

Jack drury a bit small like Chris drury but i have a feeling will be an nhler

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Jacob Olofsson is really a guy I want

Big 2 way Center that had decent season in the shl as. A 17 year old

Jack drury a bit small like Chris drury but i have a feeling will be an nhler

He did have a good season, but it wasn't in the SHL. It was the Allsvenskan, the swedish 2nd league. I'm not shitting on him, as production in the Allsvenskan is meaningful. It's a solid pro-league, probably comparable to the extraliga.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
For me I think you need to manage your assets correctly which clearly the Habs haven't done. I don't know what happens as who knows what the roster is going to look like, how much longer will MB be here, etc... But for me, if you are smart, you trade a player like Pac after last season knowing that the return should be very good and that he's going to cost you a lot when he hits UFA. Get a younger, cheaper player. Instead this management team trades younger players for older which is going to burn you down the road.

Sorry for the delayed response. I'm in Vienna on a mini vacation right now.

This paragraph I totally agree with. We haven't managed our assets well, and I am perhaps a bit worried that it was just last year that this organization clued into thinking about asset values (last year's post draft is the first time I heard Timmins utter the word ''asset'').

A prime example of mismanaging an asset is the Price dossier. Coming off a vezina nominated season, he undoubtedly had a lot of value. We didn't ''have'' to give him anything, we could have traded him for a king's ransom, and as we saw, Niemi of all people was better. A further example is Pacioretty. We've lost value on him already by not moving him at the deadline.

So with Scherbak, Hudon, Lehkonen, I think you have what could be solid players for us when they are in their prime years. So I would look to trade Galchenyuk and Gallagher (since Pac would have already been traded last year). I don't think Gallagher's body will hold up so trade him when his value is at what you think is his peak for max return. If say Galchenyuk has a big year next year then trade him if you don't think he's going to re-sign and with MB he's never going to be a center.

I'm a phillies fan and after they won the world series, the years that followed their best players were getting older, but they didn't trade them for younger/cheaper talent. Then it was too late so the return was low and now you don't have much talent. I know baseball is very different then hockey, but my point is, if you manage your assets correctly and you draft well, you should be able to just draft whoever is the best player while making trades from a position of strength. Like Nashville who trades a top pairing D in Weber who was always among the top goal scorers for defensemen but was getting older. They replaced him with a younger/cheaper player (though not by much depending on when Weber retires).

A big issue with this club is exactly as you describe: holding on to players until they have no value, and failing to accumulate assets for the future in the process. It never gets anywhere. People are now all hot and bothered about giving Tavares the moon, leaving us good, but not great. Anything to avoid selling off players with good years in front of them, but the best years behind them in order to build for the future. Then the future comes and we're left with very little.

This draft is extremely important for us, but IMO, so are the next two. We should be adding picks to those drafts. This core is essentially done: they're not winning shit. It's all about bringing the next core along.

Reactions: Runner77

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Oh man, this is quotable.

Yeah, it's a strange comment after a string of questionnable ones lately.

I mean, forget how more impressive Dahlins numbers are this year.

Or how well his skills translate to the pro game, or even how he's likely going to be in the NHL 1-2 years before Hughes will.

Has there been a more adaptable defenseman in recent years? I feel that's one of his strongest qualities, how quickly he learns and adapts at each level.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

Or how well his skills translate to the pro game, or even how he's likely going to be in the NHL 1-2 years before Hughes will.

Has there been a more adaptable defenseman in recent years? I feel that's one of his strongest qualities, how quickly he learns and adapts at each level.
I still don't get me asking whether folks would trade the 3rd pick for Borgstrom and stating I'd prefer that to taking Kotkaniemi is somehow remarkable...

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

It really is a pity that Jesperi and Rasmus can't play in the NCAA under any circumstances. It would be absolutely incredible to see them light that kid's league on fire and this ''playing with men'' bullshit along with it.

I swear to god, I just lived through this board flopping around like landed fish over how underrated Poehling was on account of playing against men in the NCAA. He was ''ahead of the curve'' because of his NCAA experience. But now Jesperi and Dahlin, guys who put up historic numbers in better leagues, might not be all that good right away. f*** off.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Sorry for the delayed response. I'm in Vienna on a mini vacation right now.

This paragraph I totally agree with. We haven't managed our assets well, and I am perhaps a bit worried that it was just last year that this organization clued into thinking about asset values (last year's post draft is the first time I heard Timmins utter the word ''asset'').

A prime example of mismanaging an asset is the Price dossier. Coming off a vezina nominated season, he undoubtedly had a lot of value. We didn't ''have'' to give him anything, we could have traded him for a king's ransom, and as we saw, Niemi of all people was better. A further example is Pacioretty. We've lost value on him already by not moving him at the deadline.

A big issue with this club is exactly as you describe: holding on to players until they have no value, and failing to accumulate assets for the future in the process. It never gets anywhere. People are now all hot and bothered about giving Tavares the moon, leaving us good, but not great. Anything to avoid selling off players with good years in front of them, but the best years behind them in order to build for the future. Then the future comes and we're left with very little.

This draft is extremely important for us, but IMO, so are the next two. We should be adding picks to those drafts. This core is essentially done: they're not winning ****. It's all about bringing the next core along.

The 2 guys who I would look to trade are Petry and Gallagher. Fans won't like it, but they are coming off career years, so their value is at an all time high. Now I know it won't happen since MB is going to try to win, but down the road when we do try to trade them and their value is likely half of what it is now, we can look back and say we should have managed our assets better. Now maybe they do turn things around, maybe Price is great, Weber scores 20 goals, Drouin, Lehkonen, Galchenyuk all have career years, Scherbak produces, Hudon plays well, Danault puts up 40 pts. But even then how well can they compete against top teams with such weak centers and blueline.

So it would be more of the same, try to make the playoffs, maybe they do maybe they come up just short, but then don't go far and end up with a 18th-20th overall pick and miss out on the top centers. Instead they could be looking to trade guys like Petry, Gallagher, go after the Avs and get that Sens 1st rounder next year. Hope Weber plays well and trade him while retaining. Get a couple 1st and 2nd rounders for '19 and '20. But we know it won't happen.

Reactions: lou and Garnet76

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
I'm a huge fan of Dudas, I'm extremely confident that he'll carve out a career as a top 9 forward in the NHL

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
The 2 guys who I would look to trade are Petry and Gallagher. Fans won't like it, but they are coming off career years, so their value is at an all time high. Now I know it won't happen since MB is going to try to win, but down the road when we do try to trade them and their value is likely half of what it is now, we can look back and say we should have managed our assets better. Now maybe they do turn things around, maybe Price is great, Weber scores 20 goals, Drouin, Lehkonen, Galchenyuk all have career years, Scherbak produces, Hudon plays well, Danault puts up 40 pts. But even then how well can they compete against top teams with such weak centers and blueline.

So it would be more of the same, try to make the playoffs, maybe they do maybe they come up just short, but then don't go far and end up with a 18th-20th overall pick and miss out on the top centers. Instead they could be looking to trade guys like Petry, Gallagher, go after the Avs and get that Sens 1st rounder next year. Hope Weber plays well and trade him while retaining. Get a couple 1st and 2nd rounders for '19 and '20. But we know it won't happen.

Won't happen. We might win a semi-final one year, but playoffs with this roster end one way: embarrassment.

I had wanted to trade Gallagher last year for Alec Martinez. I have no problem with trading him. Petry as well. 42 points? Sheeeit, we might actually get a 1st for him.

Why is Petry included in our long term plans by some posters? Bizarre, IMO.

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
I still don't get me asking whether folks would trade the 3rd pick for Borgstrom and stating I'd prefer that to taking Kotkaniemi is somehow remarkable...
Borgstrom is almost 3 years older which is fine because he can step in sooner. But at the time of their drafts, Kotkaniemi is much more highly regarded. If i remember correctly, Borgstrom wasn't even a surefire 1st round pick. Who's to say that Kotkaniemi won't have just as steep of a development curve and in 3 years be a much better prospect than Borgstrom is? He is ahead at the same age.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
It really is a pity that Jesperi and Rasmus can't play in the NCAA under any circumstances. It would be absolutely incredible to see them light that kid's league on fire and this ''playing with men'' bull**** along with it.

I swear to god, I just lived through this board flopping around like landed fish over how underrated Poehling was on account of playing against men in the NCAA. He was ''ahead of the curve'' because of his NCAA experience. But now Jesperi and Dahlin, guys who put up historic numbers in better leagues, might not be all that good right away. **** off.

I'm not expecting an explanation for the double standard, either. It just "is", ok :rolleyes:

It totes makes sense cuz like, Dahlin is a 70-60-65-60-70-70-lolwhyarethesenumbersallmutliplesof5

I'm still trying to make sense of why Tkachuk has the most compete of that group. Let's put aside his brother and reputation... Let's focus on the actual games, does Dahlin not actually compete as hard, if not harder ? Outside that one hit on Hughes, Tkachuk did a disappearing act in an elimination game.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Lol, NP's manhood has never been in question.

Everyone knows he's a mangina :sarcasm:.

Honestly though, anyone can go out on a limb and say random BS. That statement doesn't make much sense without your thoughts on why you think so.
Well for a few reasons. Firstly, Dahlin is much more conscious defensively so he's going to have more on his plate while Hughes will be used in a purely offensive role. As well there is an adjustment coming over from Europe (rink size etc). Dahlin is also going to the Sabres and the Sabres are friggin terrible. But mostly Dahlin reminds me alot of Hedman when Hedman came over, and Hedman had an adjustment period. Lastly, watching Hughes at the WC and I really do think he's going to hit the ground running.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Borgstrom is almost 3 years older which is fine because he can step in sooner. But at the time of their drafts, Kotkaniemi is much more highly regarded. If i remember correctly, Borgstrom wasn't even a surefire 1st round pick. Who's to say that Kotkaniemi won't have just as steep of a development curve and in 3 years be a much better prospect than Borgstrom is? He is ahead at the same age.

IIRC Borgstrom was an overager and most people had him as a 2nd round pick.. he was a bit of a shocker and it paid off.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

When Borgström was Jesperi's age, he was playing Finnish Junior B and doing about as well as we'd expect a 15 year old Jesperi to do (he was near 3 ppg in U18-Mestis at 15, right along with Sasha Barkov). Here's the thing: give Jesperi Kotkaniemi 3 years, and then let him play in the NCAA. What do you think he would do to that league?

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Borgstrom to me just has a much more dynamic skillset- particularly in skating where they are worlds apart. The fact he could step in also makes him more attractive.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
IIRC Borgstrom was an overager and most people had him as a 2nd round pick.. he was a bit of a shocker and it paid off.

Somehow, in a six year span, we couldn't have that kind of luck and what-not, happen to us with a draft pick at center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->