2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Less then 24 Hours Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
What do you guys think of McBain? I like how he plays the game, but feel he lacks a bit of quickness. I really like that he is going to Boston College though... He will have plenty of time to develop in a great sysytem...

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
What do you guys think of McBain? I like how he plays the game, but feel he lacks a bit of quickness. I really like that he is going to Boston College though... He will have plenty of time to develop in a great sysytem...
Kind of stalled his progression this year by staying in the OJHL, wasn't too bad at the U18s and might make the NHL in a bottom 6 role, but unless he sees some huge progression in the NCAA I can't see him being a top 6 forward.

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
"McBains a dog"? - well, I am afraid I will have to disagree with WeThreeKings's assessment.

In my opinion, McBain will improve his starting skating and his overall stride while at BC next year, which is really the one main knock against him. He is almost 6'4", has quick hands, a seriously extended reach, and once he's up and running has no issues skating with the competition. Looked fine at the U18s, but for some reason was playing on the wing, which is not his natural position, so maybe teams see him as being more the protypical power winger.

Not a first pick for Les Habs (go for D) but he may go late first early second to another team before Montreal has the option to decide.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I like McBain, I took him in the mock. He reminds me of DLR, but hopefully he's developed better. Not a first round guy, but I think he's a sure fire NHLer with some upside.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
There's pretty much no excuse to produce like that in the OJHL with his size and pedigree. Was very average in the U-18U against better competition.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
There's pretty much no excuse to produce like that in the OJHL with his size and pedigree. Was very average in the U-18U against better competition.
His tools alone will make him a useful player in the NHL. If you draft him, you just gotta cross your fingers a light goes on for him, but worst case he's De La Rose- with upside to be a Jordan Staal type.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
His tools alone will make him a useful player in the NHL. If you draft him, you just gotta cross your fingers a light goes on for him, but worst case he's De La Rose- with upside to be a Jordan Staal type.

No more useful types. I'd rather gamble on something we have lacked for decades.. talent. And there are too many talented guys to pass on for mcbain.

You want a player who at worst is a third line guy? Madden and Drury.

Reactions: Runner77

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
No more useful types. I'd rather gamble on something we have lacked for decades.. talent. And there are too many talented guys to pass on for mcbain.

You want a player who at worst is a third line guy? Madden and Drury.

TBH I don't think McBain makes a ton of sense for us, the guy I compare him to is already on the habs. But there are alot of teams out there who are looking to add a guy like that to their organization, and for those teams I think he'd be a great pick for them in round 2.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
No but that advantage when you start playing pro goes away, everyone is strong. I'm not wasting a high pick on someone who plays the game like Karl Alzner. Seen his type too many times over the years.. classic first round bust material.
Karl Alzner played 700 games so far and hes 29 years old, id reevaluate things if you think hes a bust.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Ill never blame anyone that tries the boom pick with guys like Merkley. Surely wouldnt blame Timmins.
He starts being good value at about that range. There's others I prefer personally but with three other 2nds it's not the worst gamble.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
My Top 5 is settled with Dahlin, Svech, Zadina, Hughes, and Tkachuk. I then have a group of 7 though that order is still a work in progress, but my grades for my top 5 are as follows:

NAME: Rasmus Dahlin
POSITION: Defence
HEIGHT: 6’2”
WEIGHT: 185lbs
SHOT: Left
Length/Strength: 60
Speed/Skating: 70
PuckSkills/Shot: 70
Compete: 60
OffensiveVision: 70
DefensiveIQ: 60
OVR: 390
NAME: Andrei Svechnikov
POSITION: Winger
WEIGHT: 188lbs
Speed/Skating: 65
PuckSkills/Shot: 65
DefensiveIQ: 55
OVR: 375
NAME: Filip Zadina
HEIGHT: 6’
WEIGHT: 195lbs
Length/Strength: 55
Speed/Skating: 55
Compete: 65
OffensiveVision: 65
OVR: 365
NAME: Quinn Hughes
HEIGHT: 5’10”
WEIGHT: 170lbs
Length/Strength: 40
Speed/Skating: 75
PuckSkills/Shot: 60
DefensiveIQ: 50
OVR: 355
NAME: Brady Tkachuk
POSITION: Forward
HEIGHT: 6’3”
Length/Strength: 70
Speed/Skating: 50
PuckSkills/Shot: 55
OffensiveVision: 60

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Have him at 20th overall, think he'll be one of those guys who in a year everyone thinks should have gone higher and wonders why he didn't

He's smooth, grace under pressure. Joined the team with the season well underway and contributed immediately.

I submit, this is not an easy task.

Would love to see the Habs get him but right now, our favorite team either drafts too early or too late to get him.

Pick 20 is about right, give or take three slots.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
My Top 5 is settled with Dahlin, Svech, Zadina, Hughes, and Tkachuk. I then have a group of 7 though that order is still a work in progress, but my grades for my top 5 are as follows:

NAME: Rasmus Dahlin
WEIGHT: 185lbs
Speed/Skating: 70
DefensiveIQ: 60
OVR: 390
NAME: Andrei Svechnikov
WEIGHT: 188lbs
Speed/Skating: 65
PuckSkills/Shot: 65
OVR: 375
NAME: Filip Zadina
HEIGHT: 6’
Length/Strength: 55
Speed/Skating: 55
OffensiveVision: 65
OVR: 365
NAME: Quinn Hughes
HEIGHT: 5’10”
WEIGHT: 170lbs
Length/Strength: 40
Speed/Skating: 75
PuckSkills/Shot: 60
DefensiveIQ: 50
NAME: Brady Tkachuk
POSITION: Forward
HEIGHT: 6’3”
Length/Strength: 70
Speed/Skating: 50
PuckSkills/Shot: 55
OffensiveVision: 60
Jeez you must be seriously critical if you're only giving Dahlin a 70 for puck skills. He's possibly got the best puck skills of any defenseman I've seen

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
What are you guys thoughts on Alexeyev? Where do you have him ranked and why?
Real underrated D. Had a shortened season but played a big part on a garbage Red Deer team in getting in the playoffs. Got sidelined again late in the season, came back for their last three games of the series and was pretty much their mvp and a big factor in their only win. The only knocks are he could benefit from taking more chances offensively -though he's not bad by any means- and he's a late 99.

I have him at 18, could go anywhere from 20 to 35 is my guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: ProspectsFanatic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad