Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion: Final Countdown! Tomorrow is the big day!

Who is BPA available at 24?

• Benoit-Oliver Groulx - C

• Jacob Olofsson - C

• Dominik Bokk - C

• Ryan Merkley - RD

• Rasmus Sandin - LD

• Jett Woo -RD

• Miller LD/Samuellsson LD/Thomas LW (3/8 appearances)

• Liam Foudy - C

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

He's gonna be a star.

good size with the skill, drafting a winger is fine but i hope he has something the rest of our wingers dont have. Outside of Kapanen (6'1") and korshkov (6'4"), all of our wingers that have any chance to make it are 6' and under. Shame he is a RW though, but he is left handed could be an option to switch his wings. If we draft a sub 6ft winger hed need to be elite tolvanen type

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
good size with the skill, drafting a winger is fine but i hope he has something the rest of our wingers dont have. Outside of Kapanen (6'1") and korshkov (6'4"), all of our wingers that have any chance to make it are 6' and under. Shame he is a RW though, but he is left handed could be an option to switch his wings. If we draft a sub 6ft winger hed need to be elite tolvanen type

I'd add Engvall (6'4") and Grundstrom (6'0" but pretty stocky) to that list of size with skill. You've got wild cards with Chebykin (6'4") and Marchment (6'4") as well.

If the Leafs drafted someone like MacDonald with their 3rd round pick and maybe made a Gauthier for McCarron type swap with MTL we would not be lacking larger wingers. It depends how many of each type you really need in the system at any given time.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

Like they always say "BPA". This guy is putting up Kuznetsov numbers only s couple months older at the time.

He's got everything except as much exposure as other prospects.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Some later round prospects I'm keeping an eye one:
LW - Oliver Okuliar
LW - Albin Eriksson
LD - Vladislav Syomin (OA)
C - Jack Drury

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Dobson? lol.
I would LOVE to get Dobson, but he will be long gone unfortunately. He is a guy I would trade up for if he was on the board at #9 or #10, and you wouldn't have to gut your roster to move up from where we will be at.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Does anyone see any good centres in the 3rd-6th round where you think "total sleeper" ? When I ask this question I do imply you've had some viewings :)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'd say they just need to be highly skilled. If we pass on Denisenko because of size that would be ridiculous. You take the kid who gives you the best mix of the chance to be a high-end player combined with the chance of at least being a cheap long-term core option (for top 9 or top5 defender).

Look at Tampa. Very few of there top 9 forwards are over 6 foot, yet they still have a team contending for the Presidents Trophy and a serious cup favorite to many. I mean, if you think Denisenko has the chance to be a the next Kucherov, and you pass on him because he's under 6 foot it would be ridiculous. We aren't drafting for the hear and now. Whatever player you get around 23 to 31 (the range we will be drafting, most likely 25) is 2 to 3 years away.

If we take a winger with this first, he's likely to be the best legitimate wing prospect in our system if you classify Kapanen as a graduate.

Also, so what if Grundstrum is just 6 foot. The guy plays a heavy game. Komarov in his 5'11 210 pound frame has offered us more physicality than 6'3 220 pound JVR ever has. Hyman will be here long-term most likely, and he's 6'1 210. We have enough size in the winger spots.

Reactions: highslot

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd say they just need to be highly skilled. If we pass on Denisenko because of size that would be ridiculous. You take the kid who gives you the best mix of the chance to be a high-end player combined with the chance of at least being a cheap long-term core option (for top 9 or top5 defender).

Look at Tampa. Very few of there top 9 forwards are over 6 foot, yet they still have a team contending for the Presidents Trophy and a serious cup favorite to many. I mean, if you think Denisenko has the chance to be a the next Kucherov, and you pass on him because he's under 6 foot it would be ridiculous. We aren't drafting for the hear and now. Whatever player you get around 23 to 31 (the range we will be drafting, most likely 25) is 2 to 3 years away.

If we take a winger with this first, he's likely to be the best legitimate wing prospect in our system if you classify Kapanen as a graduate.

Also, so what if Grundstrum is just 6 foot. The guy plays a heavy game. Komarov in his 5'11 210 pound frame has offered us more physicality than 6'3 220 pound JVR ever has. Hyman will be here long-term most likely, and he's 6'1 210. We have enough size in the winger spots.

All valid points, we're basically hoping Denisenko is dropping because of the Russian factor at this point, he *realistically* shouldn't be there for us right?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Does anyone see any good centres in the 3rd-6th round where you think "total sleeper" ? When I ask this question I do imply you've had some viewings :)
Wise (who is a true wild card at this point) and O'Brien are both intriguing guys who could slip to the late 2nd. 3rd to 6th are real shot in the dark picks. If you think anyone has a legit shot to be an NHL top 9 center, they go in the top 62. You could gamble on a long-term project like that giant Douglas in Windsor.I'd consider gambling on Pivonka out of the USNTDP, but he's probably a 3rd line center at best and if he moves to a top 6 role it is on the wing.

Just looking around league-wide, how many viable top 6 centers are taken outside the first two rounds? In the Atlantic there is Trochek, Point, Johnson (Undrafted), Bozak(Undrafted, although he isn't really anymore), and Zetterberg.

Looking at other divisions, the Atlantic also seems atypical. I didn't see a reasonable one in the Central, or Metro (unless you count Kevin Hayes who was a 1st rounder but went UFA). The Pacific has Marchessault. That's like 6 players out of maybe 70 league-wide over something like 2,200 picks. Now, Zetterberg skews the range a bit (making it 1999 to 2014), but there isn't even 1 a draft on average.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
All valid points, we're basically hoping Denisenko is dropping because of the Russian factor at this point, he *realistically* shouldn't be there for us right?
He shouldn't but outside of Denisenko, you can apply this to other smaller skilled wingers. There aren't really many others who could be in our range. I also think the rise of Kravtsov may help one of the two Russians slip to us. On the other hand, I'm not a big Akil Thomas fan, but he's likely a winger. If Hunter thinks he's the best player on the board, I have no issue with taking him for size concerns if he thinks he's the best option. You can't stress these issues too heavily. Especially when you potentially have your top 9 center core solved long-term and have a decent amount in your D-core.

We at the very least have a 20 year old franchise C, and a guy who looks like a solid 1b/2a for the foreseeable future. Then there is Nylander who also has high-end potential.

Reactions: Macallan18

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He shouldn't but outside of Denisenko, you can apply this to other smaller skilled wingers. There aren't really many others who could be in our range. I also think the rise of Kravtsov may help one of the two Russians slip to us. On the other hand, I'm not a big Akil Thomas fan, but he's likely a winger. If Hunter thinks he's the best player on the board, I have no issue with taking him for size concerns if he thinks he's the best option. You can't stress these issues too heavily. Especially when you potentially have your top 9 center core solved long-term and have a decent amount in your D-core.

We at the very least have a 20 year old franchise C, and a guy who looks like a solid 1b/2a for the foreseeable future. Then there is Nylander who also has high-end potential.

RE: the centre one, I was just curious what people thought is all, but yeah, it is hard to find centres late. League is starved for them too.

Draft night is also super fun to watch. It's kind of refreshing is isn't the only treat for us at the end of the year anymore for us.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015

This is so true. Our centre strength for the next 10 plus years is ridiculously strong.
The way the valuation of players has been going, the most valuable asset right now is a defenceman.
How many trades have happened in recent memory where someone overpaid for a winger/centre with a good defenceman? None? And look at the bad trades the other way.
I am all in for stockpiling defencemen.
BPA in relative value in my mind makes the D-man more likely the BPA. BPA can't be measured in a void, at some point you have to decide between the centre/winger/d-man, and if they are at all close, the d-man should win.

horner

May 22, 2007

I watch alot of London knights games.

6rd pk

Billy Moskal C 6'0" 185 lbs
66 7 16 25 +4
FOA 798 FOW 452 FO% 56.6
He is already a trusted player for Dale Hunter.
He is a complete 200' player.
Never takes a shift
Has speed , skill and tough
Since the trade deadline his game has taken off.
Last 32 games
6g 15a 21tp
Love this kids game

Reactions: hockeynorth

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

6rd pk

66 7 16 25 +4
FOA 798 FOW 452 FO% 56.6
Never takes a shift
Last 32 games
6g 15a 21tp
Love this kids game

Neat, thanks for the insight. Someone Hunter will be familiar with.

mammothCacti

Feb 19, 2018
What do you guys think about potentially drafting Dominik Bokk?

From the limited viewing of him, he really reminds me of the type that can quickly sneak up and become a star. His hands are probably one of the best in the draft next to Dahlin and has the speed to boot. Not as small as Denisenko and can play LW or C.

I also think he is something we're missing, Marner/Nylander hell even Matthews isn't the type to go right through you with hands and speed and instead curls around to open space. Bokk seems like a much more direct player but with the same control, and I feel like we need to shoot for a star that can aggressively take it to the net.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
+1 on Bokk. His game reminds me of Pasta in his draft year.

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

6rd pk

66 7 16 25 +4
FOA 798 FOW 452 FO% 56.6
Never takes a shift
Last 32 games
6g 15a 21tp
Love this kids game

I want to see how the Knights do in the playoffs. Dunkley, Moskal and Foudy are 3 of their top 4 forwards (the other being Formenton). Regula and Bouchard are essentially their top 2. That is pretty much all of their good draft eligible prospects besides Kooy, who probably won't get much time as a backup but was the top rookie goalie so he should be fine.

If they do well, then that will go a long way for them. Could also be a chance for Popov to put himself into consideration among some teams.

ObscureAlien

May 1, 2016

Most of the centres in this range are long shots but I like Hillis and Dudas (both could end up wingers). Struthers has been okay, he had 23 goals this year and 0 power play goals. There are some American C's but I haven't seen enough of any of them to comment.

Last edited:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
This is so true. Our centre strength for the next 10 plus years is ridiculously strong.
The way the valuation of players has been going, the most valuable asset right now is a defenceman.
How many trades have happened in recent memory where someone overpaid for a winger/centre with a good defenceman? None? And look at the bad trades the other way.
I am all in for stockpiling defencemen.
BPA in relative value in my mind makes the D-man more likely the BPA. BPA can't be measured in a void, at some point you have to decide between the centre/winger/d-man, and if they are at all close, the d-man should win.
How is it strong for the next 10 plus years? Theres really no C's in the pipeline that will be pushing for a spot.

If Nylander is playing C full time, and one of him, Kadri or Matthews go out for an extended period of time who is filling the hole?

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
Kravtsov with 2 assists half way through game 3. He is consistantly doing his damage from the 4th line. His stock is through the roof right now.

Reactions: Morgs

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
If the Leafs 1st is mid to late, how about McBain. It would be worth it for the potential Simpsons GIFs alone.

Seriously though, local boy, big two-way center. I guess the only knock is his offensive upside. Not a flashy pick but relatively safe (not Gauthier safe though).

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
Kravtsov with 2 assists half way through game 3. He is consistantly doing his damage from the 4th line. His stock is through the roof right now.

No way he'll be available at our pick but maybe Denisenko drops.

Kaut is also pretty interesting. He has double Chytils production if I'm reading it right. Could be a really good winger available.

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
Any love for Jonny Tychonick? Had a decent point per game reg season but has really upped his production in the playoffs with 10 points in 6 games. An elite skater and off to North Dakota in the fall. I think I'm still partial to Mattias Samuelsson but dont sleep on Tychonick

Reactions: emilepep
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad