Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion: Final Countdown! Tomorrow is the big day!

Who is BPA available at 24?

• Benoit-Oliver Groulx - C

• Jacob Olofsson - C

• Dominik Bokk - C

• Ryan Merkley - RD

• Rasmus Sandin - LD

• Jett Woo -RD

• Miller LD/Samuellsson LD/Thomas LW (3/8 appearances)

• Liam Foudy - C

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
What am I missing here or Am I truly the only one who thinks we should pick Rasmus Sandin with our 1st? Why is that, cuz i think he's every bit of a guy that we need (except rh). Also 2nd to Mcbain would be AWEsome, but i dont think for a sec that he's available then.

what am i missing with Sandin

I don't think you're missing anything with Sandin. The guy is sorely underrated (imo) because of the team he plays on being so good. I have read that lately that his play has "fell off a cliff", but don't take that into consideration if you believe the first 3/4 of the season to be the real him.

He's my 3rd favourite guy to pick (assuming there are no droppers) after the two Russian's (Denisenko, Kravtsov) as both of those guys look like 1st line play driving wingers, who aren't higher picks solely because they play in Russia.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
What am I missing here or Am I truly the only one who thinks we should pick Rasmus Sandin with our 1st? Why is that, cuz i think he's every bit of a guy that we need (except rh). Also 2nd to Mcbain would be AWEsome, but i dont think for a sec that he's available then.

@SeaOfBlue or @93LEAFS what am i missing with Sandin

I don't mind Sandin. He's just a little vanilla. He doesn't have great size or strength, he's not an elite skater, not overly physical or have a ton of skill. He's just a solid all-around guy which is ok. Different types of players but he's like a Stuart Percy in that sense.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I'm fine with Sandin (lets be honest, its hard to get real picky about guys in the 20's), but I prefer the high-end upside of Miller if he figures everything out (he has a bunch of risk) or the safety of Samuelsson to be a shut-down guy we could pair hopefully with Liljegren. I love the stability Samuelsson could probably provide as a good skating big-guy who wins the required battles and makes smart plays. He's something we currently lack in our pool (atleast in a high-end variety) and would compliment a lot of our guys. I could see him being a shut-down guy in the NHL in a year or so, although, more likely he's 2 college years and maybe a half-season of AHL-time. But, there's a chance he could be a Carlo type guy. K'Andre Miller has a chance of being one of those guys who goes in the late 1st or early 2nd, who you look at in 10 years asking how could a guy with his tools who became a true franchise number 1 D slipped. Now, he has the obvious risk of being a clear bust.

Sandin, similar to Woo, sort of falls in the middle-ground between the two in my eyes. With more offensive upside, but not offering the defensive game. Also, he plays on an absolutely stacked SSM team. So, I would love to hear how our euro guys (especially Bergman) think of him prior to him coming over.

For people desperate for a center, I'm curious how Wise closest out the year. He's on the small side for a center height wise, but he has that strong stocky build that can allow for sub 6-foot guys to excel, and he's a strong skater.

You think Dellandrea sticks down the middle? His game has some elements of a Nick Suzuki/Robert Thomas to me. Not as good of a skater as Thomas though imo.

Also, I wouldn't say Samuelsson is a good-skating big man unless you mean a good skater for a big man. He's not bad by any means, but if you're comparing him to Carlo, Carlo was a really smooth, powerful skater and not just for his size.

Last edited:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Is there some amazing talent available for our pick? Or should be trade down and acquire more second rounders?

6-5 and pick em. There's potential for there to be a couple of very interesting names on the board when we pick, but IMO there's a good chance Hunter sees a plateau and pulls another Dermott style drop back. Detroit, NYR, and Montreal are all interesting candidates. As of March 7
Us-25th
Detroit-29,34,38,69
NYR-27,30,39,48,70
Montreal-37,40,56,59,68

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Great article by Pronman on Ryan Merkley in the Athletic today. It looks at the Good, the Bad and the Ugly regarding him, and tries to weigh his value.

horner

May 22, 2007
6 or 7th Rd pk

Sergey Popov London knights
LW 5'11" 175'
I watch alot of London knights games.
The last 3 games the kid has been grt.
Starting to see the skill and tenasity that the knights wanted when they traded for him.
He already has a pro shot
This kid is going to be good

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
1st rd. Dominik Bokk C/Mattias Samuelsson LHD/Jared McIsaac LHD (hard to tell who will be available)
2nd rd. Nils Lundkvist RHD *rising fast, but could be available here
3rd rd. Jake Wise C
4th rd. Aidan Dudas C
5th rd. Yegor Sharangovich C (OA) *could go much earlier, but still not on a lot of lists
6th rd. David Levin LW
7th rd. Jakob Bondesson LHD

Picks 2-5 would be incredible but I think each guy gets picked higher than where you slotted them IMO, at least where our picks would be in each respective round (relatively late with our own and/or the Sharks selections)

Depends how late it is. Sandin is a bit of a wild card in the fact that he is a little bit small and does not have a super high end skill set, but he is still very talented. He could be a quite good top 4 defenseman or never make the NHL.

If he was available in the early 30's or really late 20's, that be perfect for him. Same for someone like Alexeyev. I'd be perfectly content with trading down and getting one of those two if the right guy is not available to us at an earlier pick, which could happen if we have a pick in the early-mid 20's.

Sandin is somewhat small on a blue-line that is in desperate need of an infusion of size (you still go BPA regardless), not particularly dynamic, and his tools aren't overwhelmingly special. At least Alexeyev has projection written all over him. For me, the choice between the two is easy...Alexeyev comes with risk though, as your putting a lot of stock into him filling out his upside.

horner

May 22, 2007
6-5 and pick em. There's potential for there to be a couple of very interesting names on the board when we pick, but IMO there's a good chance Hunter sees a plateau and pulls another Dermott style drop back. Detroit, NYR, and Montreal are all interesting candidates. As of March 7
Us-25th
Detroit-29,34,38,69
NYR-27,30,39,48,70
Montreal-37,40,56,59,68

This draft would be perfect to trade our pick and grab a couple or three extra picks.
To Detroit our 25 + 119
To tor 29 and 38
To Montreal 29
To Toronto 37 and 40

Our picks 37, 38 and 40th + our own 53 pick
37th pk Dellandrea C
38th pk McShane c
40th pk Foudy LW
53rd pk Dunkley C
83rd pk Regula D

We can always dream

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
This is my March Top 31 for the 2018 Draft

1) R. Dahlin LHD
2) A. Svechnikov RW
3) F. Zadina LW
4) N. Dobson RHD
5) E. Bouchard RHD
6) B. Tkachuk C/LW
7) J. Veleno C
8) O. Wahlstrom C/RW
9) A. Boqvist RHD
10) J. Kotkaniemi C
11) Q. Hughes LHD
12) T. Smith LHD
13) I. Lunderstrom C/LW
14) B. Hayton C
15) R. Kupari C
16) J. McIsaac LHD
17) J. Farabee LW
18) M. Samuelsson LHD
19) B. Wilde RHD
20) N. Lundkvist RHD
21) R. Merkley RHD
22) G. Denisenko LW
23) D. Bokk C
24) K. Miller LHD
25) R. McLeod C/LW
26) R. Sandin LHD
27) V. Kravstov RW
28) J. Woo RHD
29) T. Dellendrea C
30) S. Noel RW
31) J. McBain C

HM: C. Addison RHD, A. Thomas RW, J. Olofsson C

Last edited:
Reactions: Paradoc and NCoRe

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
This draft would be perfect to trade our pick and grab a couple or three extra picks.
To Detroit our 25 + 119
To tor 29 and 38
To Montreal 29
To Toronto 37 and 40

37th pk Dellandrea C
38th pk McShane c
40th pk Foudy LW
53rd pk Dunkley C
83rd pk Regula D

We can always dream

So we essentially drafted London... Also Foudy played RW for London when he got good (not that it matters that much).

Reactions: realgoodleafs

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Speaking of 2017-eligible draftees, Otto Latvala, huge 6'5 RHD overager, JR A Sm-liiga rookie of the year in 16/17 could be an interesting late round pick. Though I have to wonder why he was passed over last draft seeing as the past three winners were Heiskanen, Juolevi and Aho.

Last edited:

DraftGuru

Mar 6, 2018
Speaking of 2017-eligible draftees, Otto Latvala, huge 6'5 RHD overager, JR A Sm-liiga rookie of the year in 16/17 could be an interesting late round pick. Though I have to wonder why he was passed over last draft seeing as the past three winners were Heiskanen, Juolevi and Aho.

I chose Otto Lavala in last year's mock draft. I figured he would have and should have been picked. He was even a late 99.

Here is a scouting report from last season. I would take him with a late pick.

Latvala has shown tremendous development over the past two seasons. He was named the top rookie in the U20 league. His overall mobility, foot speed and puck movement have improved a lot. He’s a big, strong defenseman who is difficult to get around due to his defensive awareness. His positioning and gap control are very solid. Has poise and can move the puck effectively under pressure to start offensive transitions. He moves well laterally at the blueline and possesses an effective, heavy wrist shot. His mix of physicality, hockey sense and developing offensive game is an interesting package.

Reactions: cookie

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
To Detroit our 25 + 119
To tor 29 and 38
To Montreal 29
To Toronto 37 and 40

37th pk Dellandrea C
38th pk McShane c
40th pk Foudy LW
53rd pk Dunkley C
83rd pk Regula D

We can always dream

Teams like Detroit, Montreal, and NYR are in the same spot as we were in 2015. Teams with barren pools are the ones who are thinking of moving back. We're at the point where quality is more important than quantity. Moving back is fine if Hunter thinks there's a plateau, but moving up should also be fine if we see another Liljegren in the teens.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Teams like Detroit, Montreal, and NYR are in the same spot as we were in 2015. Teams with barren pools are the ones who are thinking of moving back. We're at the point where quality is more important than quantity. Moving back is fine if Hunter thinks there's a plateau, but moving up should also be fine if we see another Liljegren in the teens.

Agree with this. It also depends on their plans for trades and UFA. Who are they targeting, for how long, and where do they project future gaps. Do we move up and pick up a decent C, or a decent D... obviously, if you are moving up, it's targeting a certain player, that you rank as someone you'd like in the organization.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
If the last two drafts mean anything, we might try and get a Russian in the 5-7th rounds.

Here are some darkhorse Russian prospects:
RW Bulat Shafigullin [OA]
C Razat Timirov [OA]
RW Islam Khasanov [OA]
C Demid Mansurov
C/RW Ruslan Iskhakov
RD Anton Malyshev
F German Grachyov

member 147413

I think some junior teams don’t get enough credit for developing players. Moose Jaw has done well recently and looks to keep pumping out impact players.

I like Jett Woo a lot.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Agreed. If you see a potential superstar falling into the teens and there's question marks that you think you can work with, jump up and take the kid. That could be a Karlsson or a Taransenko down the road.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Logan Hutsko from Boston College in the 4th. Had a breakout 18 year old season, and I suspect a broken neck as a 16 year old set him back for what should have been his draft year.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
The more I think about it, the more I hope we trade back out 1st rounder for two second. If we do so, we'd have a shot at drafting two or three of:
C - Barrett Hayton
RD - Jett Woo
RD - Calen Addison
LD - Rasmus Sandin
C- Jack McBain
C - Benoit-Olivier Groulx
C - Jacob Olofsson
C/LW - Jakub Lauko
C - Alexander Khovanov
LD - Jonathan Tychonick
RD - Ty Emberson
C - Black Mclaughlin
C - Rusland Iskhakov
LD - Adam Ginning
RW - Vitali Kravstov

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Logan Hutsko from Boston College in the 4th. Had a breakout 18 year old season, and I suspect a broken neck as a 16 year old set him back for what should have been his draft year.

Exactly what I was thinking. I think he was like the conference rookie MVP or something, but he's undersized and not elite so we could probably get him in the 4th.

pacman25

Mar 15, 2013

Vitaly Kravstov now has 6 goals in 7 KHL playoff games.

Deninsenko has also been called up to his KHL team and will be playing on the first line of today's playoff game. Korshkov is on his team as well

Reactions: emilepep

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Kravtsov scored his 6th goal in 7 KHP playoff games. And what a goal id was! Another intersting thing, according to this interview, Kravtsov's sister lives in Toronto right now. She's a student. But the kid wants to play with Kuznetsov and Ovechkin. And his father wants him playing in the NHL as well, but only when he's ready.

And a picture of Kravtsov as a boy with one not so bad hockey player.

1040_10000_max.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad